Authentication/loggin issues

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by Z-Man » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

LOCAL user, it says. You said "/login" or pressed the authentication menu item, then entered you GID at the username field. That does not work unless you set up your GID in the player configuration. Either do that or do precisely what people told you here.

I think we changed the relevant error message for that somewhere to tell you precisely that, but I can't remember in which branch. I'll check. It should go to 0.2.8 and all that.

NecroToast
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by NecroToast » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 am

It Works now :D Thank you guys for all the help :D but I think i just needed to wait a little while after i started posting for it too work
Image

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by Z-Man » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 pm

NecroToast wrote:but I think i just needed to wait a little while after i started posting for it too work
Sure, sometimes the bits and bytes take time to sort themselves out.

That's what I'd tell you if this were a professional help line, but it's not. So I will confront you and me with the truth. Nope. Time was no factor. The actions you did now would have worked a week ago, too. Two problems are apparent:
1. You failed to follow the instructions given to you precisely.
2. The simpler authentication functions do not what most users expect.
You probably should work on 1, we need to work at 2. I checked, the improved local user error message is already on 0.2.8 and should propagate to all servers over time. But we need to do more. Almost nobody uses local accounts. So I suggest a new setting, DEFAULT_AUTHORITY, where an empty value means the behaviour now, while with a set value "/login" and the login menu item without a GID set would be interpreted as "/login DEFAULT_AUTHORITY". This should be possible to do serverside. Default value would be @forums, obviously. Probably we'd need to have "/login @" log in via local accounts; "/login [email protected]" already should work. The new setting and default value won't affect anyone who already does the correct thing.

User avatar
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by LOVER$BOY » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

Z-Man wrote:
NecroToast wrote:but I think i just needed to wait a little while after i started posting for it too work
Sure, sometimes the bits and bytes take time to sort themselves out.

That's what I'd tell you if this were a professional help line, but it's not. So I will confront you and me with the truth. Nope. Time was no factor. The actions you did now would have worked a week ago, too. Two problems are apparent:
1. You failed to follow the instructions given to you precisely.
2. The simpler authentication functions do not what most users expect.
You probably should work on 1, we need to work at 2. I checked, the improved local user error message is already on 0.2.8 and should propagate to all servers over time. But we need to do more. Almost nobody uses local accounts. So I suggest a new setting, DEFAULT_AUTHORITY, where an empty value means the behaviour now, while with a set value "/login" and the login menu item without a GID set would be interpreted as "/login DEFAULT_AUTHORITY". This should be possible to do serverside. Default value would be @forums, obviously. Probably we'd need to have "/login @" log in via local accounts; "/login [email protected]" already should work. The new setting and default value won't affect anyone who already does the correct thing.
Currently to log into local account, you still need to do /login {username}@. If that were the case then there's no real use for LOCAL_USER command, is there?
Image

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by Z-Man » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 am

LOVER$BOY wrote:Currently to log into local account, you still need to do /login {username}@.
No. If you have no GID set (and only more recent clients than 0.2.8.2 put @forums in the GID field), "/login" will trigger a login for a local account.

User avatar
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by LOVER$BOY » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 am

Z-Man wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:Currently to log into local account, you still need to do /login {username}@.
No. If you have no GID set (and only more recent clients than 0.2.8.2 put @forums in the GID field), "/login" will trigger a login for a local account.
Ah I see. Now it's making more sense.

So, by having DEFAULT_AUTHORITY for /login {username}@ , it will automatically trigger the DEFAULT_AUTHORITY and not the local user account?
Image

NecroToast
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by NecroToast » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 am

Z-Man wrote:
NecroToast wrote:but I think i just needed to wait a little while after i started posting for it too work
Sure, sometimes the bits and bytes take time to sort themselves out.

That's what I'd tell you if this were a professional help line, but it's not. So I will confront you and me with the truth. Nope. Time was no factor. The actions you did now would have worked a week ago, too. Two problems are apparent:
1. You failed to follow the instructions given to you precisely.
2. The simpler authentication functions do not what most users expect.
You probably should work on 1, we need to work at 2. I checked, the improved local user error message is already on 0.2.8 and should propagate to all servers over time. But we need to do more. Almost nobody uses local accounts. So I suggest a new setting, DEFAULT_AUTHORITY, where an empty value means the behaviour now, while with a set value "/login" and the login menu item without a GID set would be interpreted as "/login DEFAULT_AUTHORITY". This should be possible to do serverside. Default value would be @forums, obviously. Probably we'd need to have "/login @" log in via local accounts; "/login [email protected]" already should work. The new setting and default value won't affect anyone who already does the correct thing.
I'm not gonna lie, I probably made a mistake, But Ive tried so many different ways, I even changed my password like 3 times.. but the day after i made the post I authenticated the same way Ive been in the past and it worked. so I'm not sure what happened. and a big issue was, I was doing so many different methods to authenticate and they've given me back different answers i wasn't sure which was the "right" error message. And when i say i tried alot i mean i tried alot

EDIT: oh and i dont want to give off the idea it was my password. I ended up changing it back to the original because.. i dont like new passwords
Image

User avatar
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Authentication/loggin issues

Post by LOVER$BOY » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 am

Don't fret dude. The system isn't perfect and some servers have some issues in locating the @forums. It all depends on that server's location and the good internet the provider has.
Image

Post Reply