Servers category suggestion

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Servers category suggestion

Post by dlh »

I think there should be a sub-forum dedicated to just servers. Right now the best place to post about your server is Armagetron→General, but I think it would be better to group these topics in a different forum. Currently there's the Servers category, but it only consists of specific servers or groups of servers. Actually most of the sub-forums under Servers are inactive, or the server(s) they represent are long gone.

I suggest that users should be able to create topics under Servers. There's a slight issue in allowing posts here, because there's so many server sub-forums. The topics wouldn't be visible unless you scrolled down a page or two. One solution might be to just create a General sub-forum. Another solution would be to move many of the other sub-forums to an Inactive category. I'm not certain, but I think phpBB allows more than two levels of nesting for forums/categories.

Yea or nay?
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Servers category suggestion

Post by INW »

Yea
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I think a Servers > General sub-forum makes sense. I might even volunteer to go back through the current General section and at least collect the URL's to topics that could be moved.

Dunno about an Inactive category. A few of those still get a little activity now and then. Plus, the cases where the forum may be inactive, but a server is still active (e.g., Nexus9 or...weren't Spacezone servers up for awhile again recently?) I dunno. I wouldn't have a problem with most of them remaining as they are for posterity purposes.

I will say, one that needs to be completely deleted is the blatantly farcical "Armagetron Classic Servers." Or, perhaps better, just delete its content and the moderator, and let it stand as a catch-all for "classic"-style servers. Might be a little redundant to the proposed 'General' sub-forum, though.
devicat
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by devicat »

The way I see it, this may end up being too cluttered or confusing. What happens when a server with a new/experimental gametype comes along and does not fit in any category? I guess the solution would be to make that type of thing a category of it's own: experimental.

Not a bad idea, but it's not like I have a terrible time finding servers as it is.

I'm pretty much neutral on this idea, but I'll admit that it could have its benefits.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

devicat wrote:The way I see it, this may end up being too cluttered or confusing. What happens when a server with a new/experimental gametype comes along and does not fit in any category?
Did you even read this thread? Servers > General. That's the whole point.