What do you expect from your moderators?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Phytotron »

INW wrote:I just get sick of reading Phytotron's posts with all the commas...if he didn't type so many synonyms and just typed ONE word....
Heh, well, when I do that it's because each of those words has a particular meaning or connotation that actually is not necessarily identical to—although not necessarily mutually exclusive from—the others. That is to say, not strictly synonymous. Sometimes the differences may be nuanced, but still of semantically distinct and useful. To my mind, anyway.

Other times I do it just to cover the bases so someone doesn't reply, "you only said [this], not [this] which is kinda the same but technically different so...." Like kids who push their parents or teachers, "well, you only said we couldn't do such-and-such; you never said we couldn't do this other thing," even if they should have known, or did actually know but are being weaselly, that the latter "other thing" should have been understood as part of the first.

(I agree about Durka's sig, by the way. But not that it's favoritism or that yours should be allowed. :))

INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Alright Phytotron; I understand now; reason noted. :D

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

INW:
Z-Man wrote:All of you are complaining all of the time that ooh, we moderators hit so hard on them while that guy over there is so much worse and gets away. a) no, he doesn't, and b) chances are you're worse than that guy and just don't know it.
In this case, b). Decisions are made by gut feeling and rationalized later, so I'll do that now: your sig was not only yours, but also LucK's, doubling the impact, and the word there was meant literally, while in Durka's sig, it's used figuratively and to encourage the team. And, I can't remember exactly, but one of you at least had some not-exactly-friendly exchanges with mkay, so I saw the potential that your sig was just there to expose him.

To me, it's more annoying that Durka's sig is kind of long.

LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Z-Man wrote:INW:
Z-Man wrote:All of you are complaining all of the time that ooh, we moderators hit so hard on them while that guy over there is so much worse and gets away. a) no, he doesn't, and b) chances are you're worse than that guy and just don't know it.
In this case, b). Decisions are made by gut feeling and rationalized later, so I'll do that now: your sig was not only yours, but also LucK's, doubling the impact, and the word there was meant literally, while in Durka's sig, it's used figuratively and to encourage the team. And, I can't remember exactly, but one of you at least had some not-exactly-friendly exchanges with mkay, so I saw the potential that your sig was just there to expose him.

To me, it's more annoying that Durka's sig is kind of long.
heh not sure when you removed his sig but I am pretty sure I had taken mine off at the time it became not funny to me anymore after the edit.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I can't actually do anything about sigs :) If it was forcefully removed, Tank did it.

INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

I removed mine for the hell of it because it got boring. Mkay didn't scream at me for it unless I'm forgetting something. Durka seems to have more posts than me and Luck combined so I think his signature shows up more. I do agree that Durka's sig was used to 'encourage the team.'

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

INW wrote:Mkay didn't scream at me for it unless I'm forgetting something.
No, he didn't. But shortly before you set the sig, there was some screaming at TaZ and Mecca in the 'there was a day' and screenshot threads, some of which was removed. One might have seen a connection there.

Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Don't drag me and TaZ into this.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?

TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

Z-Man wrote:
INW wrote:Mkay didn't scream at me for it unless I'm forgetting something.
No, he didn't. But shortly before you set the sig, there was some screaming at TaZ and Mecca in the 'there was a day' and screenshot threads, some of which was removed. One might have seen a connection there.
Just like there was a connection between Alucard and a proxy. :D

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Individual errors aside, you two just showed what I mean: you and some others around here like to tag-team. Sometimes it's harmless (like here, I can take it), but sometimes not. There was already heat surrounding Mkay, I tried to diplomatically avoid more of it.

Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

There is no "tag-teaming" going on. I was on teamspeak with TaZ when I saw your post, so I mentioned it to him since his name was brought up as well. The thing with Luck and Spin has nothing to do with TaZ and I, so leave us out of it.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If coordinating posts on the same subject isn't tag teaming, what is it then? So yes, Taz made a harmless joke. That's fine. But five harmless jokes coming from a group of people in quick succession don't sum up to just five harmless jokes every time, they quickly turn into mobbing, especially if they're at the expense of someone.

But note that nowhere, I implied you had something to do with it or did something wrong. Hell, it was Mkay giving you heat, not the other way round. In no way I am dragging you into something here. It's just that there are certain rather obvious tendencies around here to exploit already heated situations with semi-coordinated acts of mischief. *coughrandomscreenshotscoughshrunklandtourneycough* Excuse me.

Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Z-Man wrote:But note that nowhere, I implied you had something to do with it or did something wrong. Hell, it was Mkay giving you heat, not the other way round. In no way I am dragging you into something here.
Understood, sorry I misunderstood in the beginning.
Z-Man wrote:It's just that there are certain rather obvious tendencies around here to exploit already heated situations with semi-coordinated acts of mischief. *coughrandomscreenshotscoughshrunklandtourneycough* Excuse me.
Luck was the only one involved in the shrunkland tourney thing as far as I know.

I made my post (on this topic) BEFORE I said anything to TaZ about it. Out posts were not coordinated.

You may want to stop with the "obvious" stuff, you seem to be wrong almost all the time.

gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

I lol'd

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Again, I did not imply what you think I did :) I didn't imply any communication between you and LucK there. I was merely contemplating the temporal coincidence between the shrunkland clone stuff and the LMS tournament surfacing, and I'm not the only one doing so. And again, I don't imply any communication between the clone admin and LucK, just a little bit of the possibility of an "hey, X is already raging mad, let's tease him some more" attitude. And both with that and the Mkay signature, I did my best to defuse the situation, because I know some people will always assume the worst intentions. I probably wasn't clear about it, but the PMs I sent in those processes were not warnings of any kind. If you'd rather have me not try diplomacy and wait and go straight to formal warnings and bans if things go bad, I can do that; telling us how you want moderation to work is the purpose of this thread.