What do you expect from your moderators?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Post Reply
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by gawdzilla »

Ok ok, fair enough. But I still think you guys need to do something about his comments, just because you expect it from him doesn't make it acceptable? I'm fine with poking fun at me (and others) but that quote of him.. come on now...

User avatar
apparition
Match Winner
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:59 am
Location: The Mitten, USA

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by apparition »

Tank Program wrote:That was me. It's about who I expect better from. At this point will all know how Phytotron acts, and he is consistent in it. But you Deadmau6, that post had flame bait written all over it and I would have expected better from you.
Z-Man wrote:Not to mention it's the kind of comment that freaks some people out and they call the police.
:roll: No offense dudes, but this makes it seem like neither of you have adequate and fully functional bullshit filters.

Phytotron's hardcore comment very seriously attacks someone. I don't care who that comment was about. It could have been made about any number people and it would still be a disgusting example of hatred that would be best removed from this forum. If someone said that shit in that tone in real life in front of however many people witnessed it here on the forums, I'd expect some serious backlash. I was really bothered by that comment, but I didn't say anything because I was waiting for some form of consistent and objective moderation and later put it out of my mind. Now that the comment is back in the open I want to say that it wasn't right for Phyto to make that statement and it wasn't right for you to leave it up. I don't care if it coincides with your opinion of Lizmatic or not, you all made a subtle point by allowing that comment to stay up for everyone on the forum to read. And now, instead of taking responsibility for that decision, you chose to perpetuate some absurd paranoid view of people taking stupid comments too seriously AND leave Phytotron's comment up?

I don't care that it was Liz that his comment was directed at. The main point here is that this is a very serious flaw in your moderation and not at all what I would expect.

And in the future, keep shit like that in your head Phytotron.

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Lucifer »

I missed it. I'd have removed it and sent him a warning. Using 1000 word essays to tell people to get a life is one thing, but asking any random person to kill someone is quite something else.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11426
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Z-Man »

Just to note, Phytotron's comment is taken out of context, it's a response to "(I hate you all)", which was just the culmination of other comments along the same lines in that particular discussion. Take that as a joke if you will, but "I hate you too, because ..." is a valid and more differentiated response. In this post, he is precise. Personally, I find the posts where he overgeneralizes, deduces that anything anyone does that he disagrees with directly as a character flaw and conscious attack against himself and predicts the downfall of our entire civilization from it (yeah, I'm exaggerating) much more offensive and warn/moveworthy. Yeah, his "we" here really just means "I and those thinking like me", and of course it's not nice. But there is no nice response. Well, carebears would perhaps find one, but while carebears are fine and all, we don't want to force everyone to be one. Removing it would have meant removing Liz's earlier comments, and they were intermingled with votes, so that would have meant editing, and you guys hate it when we edit posts.

And it's not like anyone is immune from moderation. In fact, Phytotron has several warnings on his head and some posts of his removed as well. All of you are complaining all of the time that ooh, we moderators hit so hard on them while that guy over there is so much worse and gets away. a) no, he doesn't, and b) chances are you're worse than that guy and just don't know it.

Lucifer: Kill? Where? Are you sure you're not confusing the posts?

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Lucifer »

noob_saibot wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Can someone just euthanise noob_saibot, please?
This one. I know, euthanise means to put someone out of their misery, but it means to do so by taking their life.

What we've got here are basically two groups of people singling each other out as targeting them and angry that they don't think we moderators are doing anything about it. It's Phytotron vs (the other group), and my personal view is that both sides are completely wrong about what's going on.

Well, except that both sides *are* singling each other out as they accuse each other of doing, and both sides get defensive and point fingers whenever anyone points out that both sides are doing it.

But as z-man says, we are dealing with it. I'm sure several of us moderators have PM exchanges with people from each side on the matter (I know I do), and at least one person has been banned already (although maybe not explicitly for this particular problem, just that this problem is part of the reason).

We're also seeing some behavior lightening up.

Keep in mind, y'all, that deep down inside, we don't want to ban anybody. So the change we're trying to make is one where everybody gets along. If you're not willing to make that change, sooner or later we'll make the decision to ban you, it is inevitable. But right now, you have a choice to be part of the solution and just get along. Quit taking things so personally, quit attacking everything you don't like about someone, and quit whining that nobody cares. This is true about people on both sides of the issue, and what's also true is that you are all each responsible for your own behavior. You can't keep saying "He made me do it". No, he didn't. You did it on your own. Stop it.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:Just to note, Phytotron's comment is taken out of context....
Right, Liz deliberately left out the bit where I quoted her (this is all more of her playing games, I can only assume). And moreover, as Z-Man pointed out, read the whole thread. Also consider the context of the forum as a whole. Single threads do not exist in isolated vacuums. Around the same time, Liz had been making several other "bashing"-type remarks of the same nature in the World Cup and soccer/football threads. My comment was a critique on that stuff, if a strident one.

(Sidebar: Is she actually English or Dutch? For some reason I was under the impression she's English, which is why I referenced them, you see.)


And of course that remark toward noob_saibot wasn't a threat; it's facetious. Again, context. (Might also be worth noting that some time after that he had come into Shrunkland and was talking all about how we're "boys" now or something, and was behaving civilly. Maybe he didn't mean that. :/ )


So, I know some of my comments can be hard to take—
Tank Program c.2006 wrote:Just every now and then you seem to take people, shake them by the shoulders, and slap them in the face.
—but there's a difference between my stuff, which is typically criticizing or chewing someone out in response to something they've already said or done; and other, basically unprovoked, instigative acts of antagonism, etc. That's not to say, "they made me do it;" rather, it's making what I see is a qualitative distinction. That's why I don't consider it an attack and don't complain when someone makes a sincere, substantive criticism of me, even if I think they're off-base.

User avatar
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Lackadaisical »

Z-Man wrote:[...] so that would have meant editing, and you guys hate it when we edit posts.
Which still seems to happen. I'd expect from moderators to keep from editing non-malicious posts, even if they mean it well. It just seems so patronizing.

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Phytotron »

Never was clear on that. What exactly did epsy do?

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11426
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Z-Man »

I think he replaced the image with a better one, possibly of smaller size. We should be more transparent there.

gawdzilla
Liz of the many names
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by gawdzilla »

No, I'm dutch, not sure why you are under the impression that I'm English. It's funny how you downplay what you say, at least I admit that I can be a complete bitch. You on the other hand, go around telling people (not only me) that theyre sociopaths and horrible people IRL but oh when it gets pointed out its "taken out of context". What do you even know about me? Do you know how I'm actually like? Do you know me personally? You're by far the most judgemental person I've ever "met". (Apparition is an animal abuser, Mecca is a psychopat and I'm <washlist here>)

You think you're sick of us? You don't want to know how many people are sick of walking on eggshells here just so they won't accidently piss you off. I had an actual funny screenshot in tron yesterday but decided not to post it in the RANDOM screenshot topic, incase it would anger you.

But of course moderators, what he said is totally fine. It was just taken out of context! Same with nicky's post. I'm over it though, someone from the Nyx clan made a funny video about the thing and it made me laugh: http://www.xtranormal.com/profile/2723875/

Keep up the good work, mods! -_-

User avatar
noob_saibot
Round Winner
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 am

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by noob_saibot »

It's just consistency. I was made an example of over something so stupid. Yet I read paragraphs and paragraphs of this guy picking people to belittle and it's just annoying and tiresome to read. I don't think anyone cares about his input, because it's never positive or beneficial in anyway. Unless it is about the almighty server Shrunkland. Now that is some shit that does not stink. And that's why I brought up the point that people registered on forums prior to 2005 get royal treatment. That's what it seems, and all the references to the past about how it was better with 2 servers is just annoying.
I think you are right about the "us" vs. "him" thing, but it's pretty apparent that it is a great(er) number of people vs. just one, and maybe that is enough evidence to prove who the trouble maker. Literally every little thing has to be made an issue over because of "him," and its just tiresome/waste of time to read.
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by sinewav »

noob_saibot wrote:...it's never positive or beneficial in anyway.
Hmm... Quite a bit of positive, beneficial posting here.

User avatar
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Germany/Munich
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by AI-team »

noob_saibot wrote:It's just consistency. I was made an example of over something so stupid. Yet I read paragraphs and paragraphs of this guy picking people to belittle and it's just annoying and tiresome to read. I don't think anyone cares about his input, because it's never positive or beneficial in anyway. Unless it is about the almighty server Shrunkland. Now that is some shit that does not stink. And that's why I brought up the point that people registered on forums prior to 2005 get royal treatment. That's what it seems, and all the references to the past about how it was better with 2 servers is just annoying.
I think you are right about the "us" vs. "him" thing, but it's pretty apparent that it is a great(er) number of people vs. just one, and maybe that is enough evidence to prove who the trouble maker. Literally every little thing has to be made an issue over because of "him," and its just tiresome/waste of time to read.
LOL!
  
 
"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
 

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Phytotron »

Constructive post, AI-team. :roll: Although, granted, the post you quote and the one previous were rather laughable in their absurdist interpretations (and reimaginings) of reality.

Tell ya what, how about we get me permanently banned so you little angels will no longer get in trouble for your uncontrollable compulsion to troll, flame, harass, antagonise, poke, prod, taunt, and otherwise "mess with" mean old Phytotron.

User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by INW »

I just get sick of reading Phytotron's posts with all the commas...if he didn't type so many synonyms and just typed ONE word that described the person(s) then I wouldn't mind but reading over the tens of synonyms gets pretty annoying. Just a negative, smart, but still negative person it seems we have on our hands.

As for moderation; not much you can do; hell warning me because my signature had the word 'dick' in it but allowing Durka's sig to have the word '*******' in it...I see the favoritism.

Post Reply