What do you expect from your moderators?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by Lackadaisical »

Most of the time a short post is posted when someone just agrees with something or if they like another post. Maybe we can have a 'thanks' button so you can show your love without having to post?

related plugin:
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/

(as you can see it is also possible to 'rate' posts according to the number of thanks, but that doesnt seem like a good idea. I just like it as a way to show support.)
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Lackadaisical wrote:Most of the time a short post is posted when someone just agrees with something or if they like another post. Maybe we can have a 'thanks' button so you can show your love without having to post?

related plugin:
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/

(as you can see it is also possible to 'rate' posts according to the number of thanks, but that doesnt seem like a good idea. I just like it as a way to show support.)
Mecca(Lord Pein) had that idea and it was quickly shot down.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 92#p235792
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Yeah I know, I posted in that topic as well. As I said I do not like the idea of rating the posts (which is why the +-1 idea was shot down), and rating users by the number of thanks they've gotten is even worse, but I do think it could be beneficial to cut down on low-content posts.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

The thanks for post thing looks interesting. Something to think about.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Yeah this is a little better way of implementing what I had in mind for this community.

And since you suggested it, Lack, it won't get shot down nearly as quickly (if at all)!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

No, we still don't need that voting, +1, thumbs-up/down, or other similarly dumb shit

Yes, I agree with some character minimum. There has been a notable uptick in obnoxious, useless 'spam' posts the past few months. This includes lol's, smilies, +1, and other typical webkid grunts, especially. This isn't Facebook, Twitter, or your cellphone texting. This is a forum. To quote John Cheese:
But curse words aside, learn your own goddamn language. Once upon a time you could get away with not knowing the difference between "their" and "they're" because in spoken conversation they sound the same. Online, everybody can see that you weren't paying attention in fourth grade when you mix up "your" and "you're."

Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron. ...

Also, keep texting shortcuts confined to your cell phone. Everybody understands when you use "2" instead of "too" because you were typing with your thumbs on a number pad. But you cannot let that habit sneak into your work or school emails or even message boards. And there's no reason for it, you have all the time in the world to construct and proofread your message. If you are so pressed for time that you can't spend the extra quarter of a second to type out the full word, you need to get up right away and finish your responsibilities. Don't even worry about closing the window - that would take almost a full second.

Oh, and if you use "lol" in every sentence you type (and I've seen people who use it multiple times, ie, "lol I like dolphins because they're cute lol") I'm picturing you as this cackling moron. If you're really laughing out loud that much you need to be on some kind of medication.
Like sinewav said, those who try to get around it with various evasion methods should get a "time out." Consider it a violation like any other. Legitimate short posts are obvious and can be allowed.

That is, unless the moderator(s) (seems that Z-Man is the only one active anymore, with Lucifer's and Tank's transience and epsy's absence) is going to be willing to stay on top of it and tackle every such post on a case-by-case basis. Otherwise, a character minimum would be a reasonable form of automated moderation.

Question: Do the little [word here] codes (HTML, BBCode?) count as characters, or just what is actually displayed? For example, would the entire url or just the word(s) in the link count?
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

tbh the best and most well thought out post ever was only 2 characters long:
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

What do you expect from your moderators?
Moderation in all things, including moderation
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

All things, including murder. Not too much, not too little. And beating children—only a moderate number to a moderate degree. Don't put them in a coma or a wheelchair or anything, but at least get some good bruises and hairline fractures going. And carcinogens, yummy, aromatic, moderate intake of carcinogens. Yadda yadda banal postmoderinistic platitudes blah blah.

Anyway.... Lame evasion of character minimum: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 76#p250576 :roll:

Answers my above question; unfortunately the answer I didn't want.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Lucifer wrote:What do you think moderators should do?
I think moderators should not edit my topic titles unless they are inappropriate/offensive. If I want to name my topic "sup", I should be able to with out it getting changed.

My topic titles are always "family friendly" and I see no reason why they need to be changed.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

That was addressed on page 2 of this very thread. (In the middle of that post, at the part with my quote that begins "I noticed one example of epsy having edited a topic title....)

You may have noticed (or maybe you haven't) that when you make a new post, where you put your title it says "Subject." That is, the thing that tells people browsing the forum what the thread is about without having to open it up and read it. It's basic organisation and courtesy to readers. What if books had random chapter names? Newspapers and magazines had random article titles?

How many have you actually had changed, anyway? Just that one, with as generic and useless a title as "halp me plz"? That's not exactly a nit-picky overreach.

If "Your favorite drink?" was edited to "A Compilation of Forum Members' Preferred Beverages," you might have a complaint.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Mecca wrote:My topic titles are always "family friendly" and I see no reason why they need to be changed.
Family Friendly is just one of the goals. You should really expand your perspective on information, it's importance, and the importance of sharing. A thread's title should be meta. And while you might say "well this is my topic and I don't want the title to be meta" that goes against the spirit and intention of this forum (and really forms in general, at least the ones not solely populated with kids).

This forum is, above all, a resource. It's not about the social lives of the people who post regularly, and not even those who post infrequently. It's about everyone who visits, whether they are registered or not, from now until the site is eventually abandoned and/or removed. The owners of this forum (not you) understand this and surely reserve the right to shape the forum in their image, regardless of your self-centered intentions.

Speaking of your "sup" thread, the name change probably helped draw better quality posts and it will be easier to find those posts later. You should be thanking the mods for helping make your contributions better for the community.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Phytotron wrote:That was addressed on page 2 of this very thread. (In the middle of that post, at the part with my quote that begins "I noticed one example of epsy having edited a topic title....)

-snip-

How many have you actually had changed, anyway? Just that one, with as generic and useless a title as "halp me plz"? That's not exactly a nit-picky overreach.

If "Your favorite drink?" was edited to "A Compilation of Forum Members' Preferred Beverages," you might have a complaint.
Thank you for the first part.

I have had 2 changed that I can remember ("Do you care?" was changed to "Do you care about littering?" (there may have been a "really" in there as well)).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

So, there too, not exactly irrational overreaches, but sensible title clarifications, right? Right.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

In fact, the fundamental issue of topic titles is addressed here in the context of tech support, but the same issues there hold true for pretty much all other topics.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden