What do you expect from your moderators?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: What do you expect from your moderators?

Post by sinewav »

Slov wrote:Who really cares?
I care. A lot. This forum isn't just a place for chat, it is a resource for the game. It is part of the game's documentation. And in my opinion there is no room for post voting or anything of the sort. The forum would look more like a used textbook full of highlighter marks and noisy margin notes. I think Z-Man's proposal is the best and I don't need a special forum button to tell him, because I have a couple dozen buttons in front of me -- the ones I use to type this sentence.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:I think Z-Man's proposal is the best
I mostly agree, though I think there could be a use for more or a different type of moderators if things like this are really an issue. With that, the report button could be all you need, and it will be verified by someone trusted before it's booted out.

On top of that, there could be a warning system. Not sure if phpbb comes with it or not, but if not there's definitely going to be a mod for it. You could be warned up to x amount, with different things being worth a different number of points or percentage or whatever. Then be muted, banned, etc. depending on what has been done.

Though, I don't really see the shorter posts being a huge problem here. I think the most annoying part about it isn't that they said something so short or useless, but that they have to copy/paste the line of text to fill it. On occasion, I've had a short post or two. I think it was here, but it may have been on a different forum. Usually to avoid it, I just add some tags.

Code: Select all

Short Post[b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b]
At least then I wouldn't be purposely annoying anyone, as they wouldn't see any of that.

Just my thought.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

We've had enough people be complete smegheads here for a few years, then leave and come back after they've grown up a bit prove Z-man's solution works fine. :)

Besides, I often have short posts to write, and the last thing I'd want to have to do is kick my own ass for writing them.

As for a like system of some sort, I actually like the idea, but I don't think an implementation exists that'll work for me. It should be properly integrated with the friends/foes list. Really, what I think would work better from the standpoint of posts containing important documentation is if we have a "doc" button, and a way to browse the forums as documentation where you'd only see posts marked as such. Then the popularity contest would be a good one (Phyto :) ) because people would be competing to write good documentation posts.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:We've had enough people be complete smegheads here for a few years, then leave and come back after they've grown up a bit prove Z-man's solution works fine. :)

Besides, I often have short posts to write, and the last thing I'd want to have to do is kick my own ass for writing them.

As for a like system of some sort, I actually like the idea, but I don't think an implementation exists that'll work for me. It should be properly integrated with the friends/foes list. Really, what I think would work better from the standpoint of posts containing important documentation is if we have a "doc" button, and a way to browse the forums as documentation where you'd only see posts marked as such. Then the popularity contest would be a good one (Phyto :) ) because people would be competing to write good documentation posts.
Welcome Back (:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote: Welcome Back (:
Heh, I wouldn't have disappeared if these forums had a damn mobile website like, you know, every other website around. Do you have any idea how hard these forums are to read on a smart phone? Also, I've been going whole weeks without even looking at my computer. Turns out that almost everything I use my computer for can be done on a smart phone that's oddly more powerful than my computer (and also runs Linux :) ).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:Heh, I wouldn't have disappeared if these forums had a damn mobile website like, you know, every other website around. Do you have any idea how hard these forums are to read on a smart phone? Also, I've been going whole weeks without even looking at my computer. Turns out that almost everything I use my computer for can be done on a smart phone that's oddly more powerful than my computer (and also runs Linux :) ).
Since you're running Android, you can just install Dolphin Browser. It will go through the forums easily, as well as let you zoom in to read whatever. You can set it to Desktop Mode so you don't have to deal with the width fixing annoyances they sometimes like to do. But, I would agree a mobile version would be a nicer solution. Sadly, phpBB ain't on par with like SMF or VB. I'm an SMF fan myself. :P

Sorry, going off topic now .. I think. I don't remember what this topic was about so I'll shut up. :P I just wanted to say hi since I haven't seen ya around for a while.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I expect them to die.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I rarely commit to ETAs but I think it can be done by 2090.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

but remember the moderates are going to die, get housed in liquid nitrogen tanks until their cause of death is curable and then they'll come back to life
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Nah, they will have their personalities and memories digitized and stored on a server network which will also host this forum, essentially removing the difference between moderator and what is moderated. You will be posting right to their brain and everything will be moderated in real time.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Conversations require that person A has information that person B hasn't. In 2090, we won't need conversations anymore, and thus no moderators. We will be prisoners of a collective monologue.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

mkay, I hold your betting money and you all bet on your scenarios.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:Nah, they will have their personalities and memories digitized and stored on a server network which will also host this forum, essentially removing the difference between moderator and what is moderated. You will be posting right to their brain and everything will be moderated in real time.
So, we'll be in hell?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:So, we'll be in hell?
:twisted: Can't think of a better place to use this emoticon.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer wrote:
Light wrote: Welcome Back (:
Heh, I wouldn't have disappeared if these forums had a damn mobile website like, you know, every other website around. Do you have any idea how hard these forums are to read on a smart phone? Also, I've been going whole weeks without even looking at my computer. Turns out that almost everything I use my computer for can be done on a smart phone that's oddly more powerful than my computer (and also runs Linux :) ).
I have found a good solution for this that would be easy to install and not break things. I am playing a game called Nation States and the region that I joined uses a proboard forum that uses tapatalk for mobile access to the forums and it works very well. There is a phpbb3 plugin available here. The webpage I have pointed you to tells you how to install it. Fortunately, you don't have to do it manually. It requires the installation of AutoMod, which the beginning of the webpage tells you how to do. Automod automates the installation and uninstallation of modx mods. It would be handy for many people to be able to use this free app Tapatalk to access this forum.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm