There was a day where..

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: There was a day where..

Post by Z-Man »

While I don't agree with how epsy has tried to disturb flamewars, now he can just lock them. And really, every time he spammed lolcats, a lock would have been the right thing to do every time.
CruZ
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by CruZ »

also starting a discussion about who is the bad man is not the solution. the mods have to be neutral and not influenced by any past rivalries...

-CruZ
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

the cold war thing to do would be to give everyone moderating power. The threat of nuclear war keeps the peace.

edit: I'm not actually suggesting we do this.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I really think that any debate about mod powers is rather pointless. People that need them, have them now. Personally, I think that each of them has enough of a stake in building the community, and therefore the game, that they most likely will not abuse said powers. Quite frankly, if they do, I bet that behind the scenes, others will show them the error of their ways. I just am looking forward to less flamefests and more constructive, or at least interesting conversations!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

Remember all the bitching and posting Flex did about me, he is probably the worst of all. Now he is complaining about epsy????? Its a never ending fruit loop.

Also, please keep God and Mr. JC himself out of these forums too. And anything regarding 9/11.
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

noob_saibot wrote:Remember all the bitching and posting Flex did about me, he is probably the worst of all. Now he is complaining about epsy????? Its a never ending fruit loop.

Also, please keep God and Mr. JC himself out of these forums too. And anything regarding 9/11.
Only happened once, never again......
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

I wasnt directing that solely at you Gene - just in general. I mean its forbidden to talk about those things at family dinners. Miller Light even made it a Man Law.
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
Concord

Post by Concord »

compguygene wrote:
noob_saibot wrote:And anything regarding 9/11.
Only happened once, never again......

9/11 or the discussion? :wink:
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I have confidence in those that are now actual moderators... I don't think there'll be any problems.

And of course, my ban hammer is bigger than theirs. 8)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

(and I don't mean the "ban hammer," getting lock-happy, editing people's posts all over the place; and I sure as hell don't mean the stifling of substantive dissent, argument, or criticism)
I'm especially concerned about the latter. I'm concerned that moderators will conflate the latter with those who just want to be malicious, sadistic nuisances engaging in highschool clique-like harassment and bullying ("trolling and flaming," if you want to call it that). I do have to raise an eyebrow with respect to Lucifer's inclusion (besides the fact he's apparently as absent as Tank has been), considering he has actively participated in and encouraged much of the degenerate and delinquent behaviour that has overrun this forum over the last few years, so I question that.

The problem with any kind of moderation like this is finding a reasonable balance between unpleasant anarchy and stifling heavy-handedness—not to mention arbitrary and capricious administration. I think it should also be incumbent upon the moderators to state clearly and explicitly what they expect from posters, and what to expect from them. (Incidentally, I've been intending to make a post regarding just that for Shrunkland and BiH.)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Epsy, stop editing people's posts. This is exactly the type of thing I was issuing concerns about. It's one thing to 'bleep' a curse word or blatant insult or offensive remark, but to completely erase or alter the content of someone's post, especially when it is substantive and not just some superficial "flame," is, in my view, entirely unacceptable.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:Epsy, stop editing people's posts. This is exactly the type of thing I was issuing concerns about. It's one thing to 'bleep' a curse word or blatant insult or offensive remark, but to completely erase or alter the content of someone's post, especially when it is substantive and not just some superficial "flame," is, in my view, entirely unacceptable.
I know that you found epsy's edit offencive. But, perhaps you ought to heed the advice that he left behind. Many times, you have prolonged a "flame war" with posts of that nature. In all honesty, every time I make a post, before I hit the submit button, I ask myself 2 questions. Is this post contributing to the discussion, or is it derailing things and/or provoking people. Is the post one that will be useful to others, or is it just some silly emotional response to something somebody else has said. I have found that about 1/4 of the time, it was good to get the emotions out by typing up something, but even better to NOT hit the submit button. Sometimes the most difficult thing to do, but also the wisest is to not hit that darn submit button!
Concord

Post by Concord »

Takeaway message: I guess we have to be thankful for the 3/4ths of Compguygene we do have.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

3/4ths of Compguygene would be Compguyg (roughly).
Concord

Post by Concord »

we should be really thankful we're missing that quarter. It's a vastly superior to Pguygene.
Last edited by Concord on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.