There was a day where..

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: There was a day where..

Post by sinewav »

:lol: I LoL'd!
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

hopefully it was at the toilet humor and not my math error
Concord wrote:we should be really thankful we're missing that half. It's a vastly superior to Pguygene.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Anyway I agree that posts should stay intact in order to keep things transparent.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, transparency. Sunshine as the best disinfectant. And the problem with what Gene says in the first part of his post* regarding espy's comment, and the whole "don't feed the troll" or "don't fan the flames" refrains is that it doesn't work. By doing what espy has done and similar—e.g., censoring the respondent rather than the instigator—you're sending the actual troublemakers the message that they can do and say near whatever they want with impunity, because the consequences and punishment won't be on them, it'll be on subsequent parties. In other words, they win. It simply doesn't make sense, theoretically or practically.

* As for the rest of it, you don't realise how restrained I've actually been, and how many posts I haven't sent (or have quickly edited). :wink:
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Mecca barely got ad hominem(I wrote later in the thread not to post such "you don't have a word" posts), while you started handing out accusations. I know they've not been angels in the past on these forums and I don't intend to give them a "win", but we're not going to go retroactive on this and deleting old posts targetted at you. Future posts will of course be dealt with.

Since this, we decided to hand out warnings instead of editing offensive bits out. And yes, if you respond to offensive bits(I guess we'll mark posts with "User was warned for this post".), you will get a warning too. Kinda like "don't feed the troll" isn't it? Well yeah, it's one or another. You asked us not to censor offensive bits, then we're gonna leave them in place and ask people not to feed the gremlins. We're not here to sit and watch people flame each other.

If you have a better solution, please tell us.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

tank wrote:Welcome to the Armagetron Forums. This is the home of Armagetron Advanced development, support, and original community. You should know that like most forums, we all try to be polite and friendly here, and I trust that during your visit you will too. Please, Enjoy your stay.
This is how I understand the forum rules to be. Though it is not specific. Moderation should be transparent. Perhaps it may be best to define the rules a little more and how if they are broken they will be dealt with. At the moment is seems to be ad-hoc at the best and not existent at the worst

On a side note, good moderation includes spliting posts when a subject goes off topic (offcourse it's a matter of the moderators/tank to decide how and when this should happen)

I'm willing to help if it's needed.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

moderation, at its best, becomes no longer needed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

epsy wrote:we're not going to go retroactive on this and deleting old posts targetted[sic] at you.
And I didn't suggest anyone should. I would absolutely object to that.
You asked us not to censor offensive bits
Not quite. Read again a couple posts back: "It's one thing...." Of course, then we get into the subjectivity of what qualifies as offensive. I think bigoted (racist, sexist, antigay, xenophobic) epithets and remarks, or raunch vulgarity are rather obvious examples. Others, of course, wouldn't; they revel in that crap. Then, as I mentioned in the thread about word censors, some people get more hung up on a generic "shit" or "goddamn" than actual content and meaning.

All of this is why, if you all are going to get into this moderation thing, some explicit standards would be helpful. Indeed, I think that onus is on you before you go around laying down arbitrary (or at least perceived as arbitrary) actions willy-nilly on people. Otherwise, expect deserved objection.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Phytotron »

So, let me get this straight. Patchman's post was somehow out of line, but joking about and using "rape" as slang is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, this new moderation is going swell.

User was warned for this post -- This is not the place to discuss this.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Patchman5000 »

Phytotron wrote:So, let me get this straight. Patchman's post was somehow out of line, but joking about and using "rape" as slang is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, this new moderation is going swell.

User was warned for this post -- This is not the place to discuss this.
Quite sad, lol. How about banning us for opinions to? Or, how about we just go completely communist on the Armagetronad forums, seems to be the route it's going anyways.

EDIT: Er, also... what was I warned for? The top part or the bottom... because if its for the bottom....... someone's in a bad mood today..
epsy

Post by epsy »

If he wants to discuss the way I moderate things, he will not use an unrelated thread for it. Hope that clears it up.

And the last part of your post is indeed quite prone to irritate people, which is not the kind of stuff we want here. (Please note that I only grayed out that part and didn't just give you what phpbb calls a "warn").
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

subby wrote:
tank wrote:Welcome to the Armagetron Forums. This is the home of Armagetron Advanced development, support, and original community. You should know that like most forums, we all try to be polite and friendly here, and I trust that during your visit you will too. Please, Enjoy your stay.
This is how I understand the forum rules to be. Though it is not specific. Moderation should be transparent. Perhaps it may be best to define the rules a little more and how if they are broken they will be dealt with. At the moment is seems to be ad-hoc at the best and not existent at the worst

On a side note, good moderation includes spliting posts when a subject goes off topic (offcourse it's a matter of the moderators/tank to decide how and when this should happen)

I'm willing to help if it's needed.
Ahh, I think that to split a topic requires that a new distinct topic develops. We often get a series of off-topic posts that aren't actually related to each other.

I think Tank's approach is the best, personally, from before he stopped showing up very often. For flamewars, lock the thread after the flamewar has actually developed, give a little lecture, and encourage those that were trying to solve the problem to start a new thread.

None of us that were given mod powers are new at it. We've been at it for awhile already, just being more creative about it since we didn't actually have the mod powers to deal with it. In every thread where we went off cartooning or lolcatting, those were all situations where each person that went off cartooning would have locked the thread instead.

So we may see a lot less cartoons. :(

Anyway, we'll have to see how it goes. My personal view is to let the fires burn themselves out and only step in when they get out of hand. Where to draw the line is often subjective, but I'd as soon leave everybody alone. It's like being in a bar. Two people having a heated discussion might warrant observation, but intervention doesn't happen until blows are exchanged.

Anyway, "Luci's inactive" isn't entirely true. I'm always in irc, and except for my recent moves, I'm usually available if someone pings me there. So if I've missed checking the forums and trouble starts and nobody's around to deal with it, there's enough forum/irc exchange that *someone* will ping me and get me in here. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

epsy wrote:If he wants to discuss the way I moderate things, he will not use an unrelated thread for it. Hope that clears it up.

And the last part of your post is indeed quite prone to irritate people, which is not the kind of stuff we want here. (Please note that I only grayed out that part and didn't just give you what phpbb calls a "warn").
Telling people to play My Little Pony is warning worthy? Man this place has gone to hell since I was gone.. are you 12 years old sir?

I'll be going now, what a waste of a mod position.
epsy

Post by epsy »

Again, you didn't get a warning, it's there to say "don't be idiots and respond aggressively to this", because there are people who totally would..
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes. Me. Pinky Pie's Party is a very challenging game.