New site theme

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@z-man: yes, that is possible. I hope I have enough time to work on the themes abit too. Not sure how to set my priorities. Either update winbuilds, but akira_arma was nearly done with it OR help coding/fixing the themes (My part: paying atention to simplicity, CSS with "em" without global font-size changes (which are bad) and perhaps provide a another color scheme).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:
Lackadaisical wrote:having a max-width which ensures at least some readability, since really long lines are usually kind of hard to read.
That's usually a good idea. Is it possible to specify the maximal width in terms of the font size? Some people have high resolution monitors ( <- 1600x1200 on a 15'' screen here).
Heh, I'm going to disagree with this. Liquid layout for the win! Fixed width is ..., well, to be honest, my opinion of fixed width layouts is so bad, I don't think I can express is politely. Probably the sanest word I can use is "unprofessional".

Please, let the user decide how big his browser needs to be.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I have to agree with Lucifer! I have a 24" widescreen monitor which allows for a 1900x1200 resolution. It's really nice to view forums on a fully maximized browser, and be able to see many posts on the screen at once. It would be sad to be limited to a maximum width.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Well, what I'm currently implementing on the wikiskin is an elastic layout, which basically fills the screen up until the text lines become too long to read comfortably (currently at around 65em). If you really want the website to fill the whole screen you could just increase the font size (ctrl +). Do you guys read at the standard font-size?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I usually leave font sizes alone, but on occasion I'll increase them (usually to compensate for bad websites that have poor contrast or fonts that are too small).

- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

I don't get the max-width thing. If I have a huge screen and the lines get too long for me to read I just resize my browser window, I don't need the webpage I'm viewing to just waste the space.
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

wrtlprnft wrote:I don't get the max-width thing. If I have a huge screen and the lines get too long for me to read I just resize my browser window, I don't need the webpage I'm viewing to just waste the space.
emphasis
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

wrtlprnft wrote:I don't get the max-width thing. If I have a huge screen and the lines get too long for me to read I just resize my browser window, I don't need the webpage I'm viewing to just waste the space.
/me agrees
I'm working on 2048x1152 resolution, so I just set default window scale to 200% and it works fine with most webpages.

Anyway, can't wait to see the new theme working :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Meh, whatever :) I thought design was about giving an optimal viewing experience for all sensible browser configurations. The only problem I have with the 'let the user just choose a bigger font/smaller window width if lines get too long' is that if you have different pages with different sidebar widths open in tabs, the optimal window width can change a lot between them. Of course, that would be much less of a problem if there were no pages out there that don't horribly break or require horizontal scrolling if you make your browser window too narrow.

Reminds me to fix the bloody fixed pixel layout of my wife's homepage. Don't look at me, that was the template that came with the CMS package. Originally, it even mixed pixel and real world length scales. But I digress.

(Oh, while I'm typing this: bigger edit boxes than the default ones would be niche.)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Not totally offtopic, but in the olden days, I was hardcore against setting font sizes in pixels, and I had strong problems with setting them with points. But nowadays, I think even IE will resize fonts that are hardcoded with pixels or points if you ask it to, so I don't worry about *that* so much.

There are still issues where if you use fixed sizes in fonts but relative sizes in the layouts, then once you get a browser window outside your target range for some reason, the layout gets really disjointed.

I was really terribly impressed with how mediawiki handles its layout. I keep meaning to really study it closely, and not quite managing to do that. It amazes me the range of browser windows that I've pointed at wikipedia that look really nice, but the layout kinda breaks everything I know about doing layouts. Obviously there are a few things I don't know. ;)

Oh hell, my layout skills are so rusty I'm only just now learning how to do two column layouts with only layers, no tables. Getting the hang of it, though.... ;)

(I did learn, through a mediawiki hack, how to do pull down menus with css only. That's neat)

- Iron Maiden
Concord

Re: New site theme

Post by Concord »

just noticed that arma-unified is available as a theme choice on the forums

looks good

really good
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Concord wrote:just noticed that arma-unified is available as a theme choice on the forums

looks good

really good
Seconded.
Wiki also looks great.
I think it should be a default theme for guests.

I wonder if similiar theme could be used for main site.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

All 3 themes are still under construction.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well, they look great so far. :)
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

The new forum theme does look nice, but where are the indicators for forums/topics with new posts?
There's no place like ::1