key rate on Linux

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
kuroyagi

key rate on Linux

Post by kuroyagi »

Double Binding implies you can make very fast turns by simultaneously pressing keys and the picture shows 2 turns in significantly less than 1 grid square. However if I press 2 keys together, the turns are at best 1.5 squares apart which is similar to me repeating the same key quickly. If I press 2 keys simultaneously inside another program (terminal, browser etc), the two letters appear simultaneously so I don't think it is my window or display manager. Any idea what may be wrong?
thanks

armagetron-0.2.8.3.4-lp151.2.6.x86_64
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: key rate on Linux

Post by Z-Man »

The game also has a configurable minimal delay between turns (setting CYCLE_DELAY), defaulting to 0.1 seconds. Even if you would press a single key twice faster than that, your cycle would not turn as fast. The picture in the documentation was taken on a server with a lowered minimal turn delay.
kuroyagi

Post by kuroyagi »

Thanks. I forgot to mention I was playing a local game. I can't see a way to configure it in the client, is it possible?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not in the menus, you have to use the console. Press ~ (the key below ESC) during a game, that should bring up the "Con:" prompt. Enter

Code: Select all

cycle_delay 0.0000001
there.

If you want to make that setting permanent for local and LAN games you host, you can do so in a user configuration file. At your regular system console (not ingame), enter

mkdir -p ~/.armagetronad/config/
nano ~/.armagetronad/config/autoexec.cfg
and enter your

cycle_delay 0.0000001
into that file. Replace nano with your favorite text editor.
kuroyagi

Post by kuroyagi »

Great, thanks.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Though, you almost definitely don't want that small of a delay unless you like getting stuck in your own wall. Servers which use non-default values there typically use a more sane delay like 0.03 or 0.05. 0.001 would probably be a semi-healthy minimum.