Arma keeps crashing

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: Arma keeps crashing

Post by Monkey »

Thanks for putting in the effort to try to fix this Z-Man and have a nice vacation :)

If you're saying it's a driver issue, I should tell you that I've got a Radeon HD 6670 which, on OpenBSD, uses the open source X.Org radeon driver. Note that on OpenBSD there are no binary closed source drivers and hardware acceleration for the latest cards may not even be available. Hardware acceleration for Nvidia cards is non-existant. You will find installing OpenBSD a nice experience though. Good luck.
Playing since December 2006
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Okay, thanks, Z-Man.
Monkey wrote: I've got a Radeon HD 6670
Radeon here too.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Stupid question: How exactly does one install our dependencies on BSD? Ergh, I somehow got to a state where I can login on the pure console and then start an X server from there. Years of Ubuntu made me soft.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Monkey wrote:Thanks for putting in the effort to try to fix this Z-Man and have a nice vacation :)

If you're saying it's a driver issue, I should tell you that I've got a Radeon HD 6670 which, on OpenBSD, uses the open source X.Org radeon driver. Note that on OpenBSD there are no binary closed source drivers and hardware acceleration for the latest cards may not even be available. Hardware acceleration for Nvidia cards is non-existant. You will find installing OpenBSD a nice experience though. Good luck.
You may be able to get the (new open-source) amdgpu driver, although it probably wont work with your card. I would use fglrx, but it doesn't sound like you can with OpenBSD.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Sorry I haven't replied to this but I just got back from a week-long holiday (in Majorca, woop woop!).
Z-Man wrote:Stupid question: How exactly does one install our dependencies on BSD?
Not a stupid question. The BSDs are actually not like Linux in that there is no standard base; distributions are a Linux thing only. Despite coming from roughly the same place, the BSDs have diverged a lot since their inception and so the answer to your question is: It depends which BSD you are using. The three main ones are FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. I can only answer for OpenBSD, which I shall now do:

In short:
"pkg_add -i autoconf automake bash bison boost bzr gmake python sdl sdl-gfx sdl-image sdl-mixer sdl-net sdl-pango sdl-sound sdl2 sdl2-gfx sdl2-image sdl2-mixer sdl2-net sdl2-ttf"
Note that I know not all sdl-* packages are required; I've put them all in just in case. Also note that those packages are what I install for 0.4, which is the version I use. The configure options for both versions that seem to work well are: "--disable-games --disable-uninstall --disable-useradd --disable-initsripts --disable-sysinstall --disable-binreloc". Finally, don't forget to use "gmake" instead of "make" when compiling/installing! :)

In detail:
OpenBSD uses the (command line) pkg_* tools for installing binary packages of third party software that is in OpenBSD's repository and not in the base system (note that the base system also includes the X Window System).
"pkg_add -i <packagename>" will install a binary package. Note that "-i" will prompt you interactively if more than one flavour/version of that package is available.
"pkg_info -Q <searchterm>" will search for all binary packages containing <searchterm>.
"pkg_info <packagename>" will give a full description of a binary package.
The man pages for these commands are very good. So is the OpenBSD FAQ section http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html.
If you need any more information then say so. :)

@aP|Nelg
Thanks, I'll look into it but I doubt it will work for me on OpenBSD at the moment. :)
Playing since December 2006