Silence bug or hacking of silence feature

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Re: Silence bug or hacking of silence feature

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:
sinewav wrote:Upon inspecting the log file (I still have it) I noticed logout/login entries immediately following each other. And when I say immediately, I mean the switchover was instantaneous, much faster than a person could logout and login with a regular client.
Are you 100% that you couldn't have /logout, /login example@forums as instant chats?
Just that I don't know what you mean by "much faster than a person could logout and login with a regular client."
I mean, are you saying that he's hacked his client to be able to send and receive information faster?
If that is what you're saying, I don't see a problem with that, if anything he should share it and we'd all be waiting less.
Pretty sure sinewav doesn't mean authentication, he means leaving and coming back.

If you've ever seen in a log file leaving and coming back:
(example)

Code: Select all

[1] Received login from 127.0.0.1:61636 via socket *.*.*.*:4547, network version: 0.2.8.3.X (ID: 16).
[1] New user: 1
[1] Xero entered the game.

[1] Xero left the game.
[1] Killing user 1, ping 0.00534, IP 127.0.0.1:61636: You logged out regularly.
Notice that it says "login" and "logout" on those lines?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:Maybe it's even possible without code hacks, by just using the splitscreen configuration in some way.
Maybe so. Here is a section of the log showing the instantaneous leaving and returning. You can see me silence him, he continues to play, then suddenly he is able to speak again. Keep in mind, this exchange which went on for a long time where he would continue to unsilence himself. I asked him to leave several times but never kicked him. It was only after 20 minutes of this nonsense that I finally forced him to leave, and knowing that he would immediately return, changed the max_clients on the server so he couldn't get in.

Also, while silenced he was still able to /msg me, and I can't remember if I engaged silence on my client, but it was annoying as all hell.

[0] Timestamp: 2012/12/07 02:52:53
[0] Ping charity changed from 23 to 25.
[0] Go (round 7 of 511)!
[0] Remote admin command by sinewav@forums: silence durf
[0] Durf has been silenced.
[0] Durf core dumped teammate byteSwap! Boo! No points for that!
[0] portSpy core dumped Durf for 1 points.
[0] sine.wav core dumped driveLock for 1 points.
[0] Durf left USERS.
[0] Spectator Durf left.
[0] Durf plays for USERS.
[0] Time:     38.3115 seconds
[0] Timestamp: 2012/12/07 02:53:31
[0] Ping charity changed from 25 to 21.
[0] Go (round 8 of 511)!
[0] Durf: you want to play this game"?
[0] Remote admin command by sinewav@forums: ban durf 10
[0] Players from IP 99.224.98.116 are banned for 10 minutes. Reason: None given.
I will not make the rest of the log public. Believe me, his trolling is just as bad as you can imagine and I put up with it for a long time before using administration tools. I run my servers with little moderation and always suggest players use Arma's policing functions before I take action.

Anyone recognize that IP?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

aP|Nelg wrote: If you've ever seen in a log file leaving and coming back:
Ah, ok

sinwav, I don't see in your logs how it was "much faster than a person could logout and login", or him talking when he shouldn't be able to :?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:sinwav, I don't see in your logs how it was "much faster than a person could logout and login", or him talking when he shouldn't be able to.
You can see I silenced him on line 4, then he speaks again on line 15. Did you miss that?
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

1. Durf says Tron's code is unreadable but she has never even looked at it. That doesn't add up

2. I don't believe that is Durf's IP unless she used a proxy and changed IP which she never would do.

Sounds like symptoms of a Pathological Liar to me
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:Did you miss that?
No, I didn't miss it, but he also left and came back which would make him unsilenced
The part that's missing is how long it took him to come back.
Maybe you have to have been there?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:The part that's missing is how long it took him to come back.
Maybe you have to have been there?
Right, looking at the timestamps and the fact this pattern was repeated over and over with no breaks I'm sticking with my story that he probably has a modified client that let's him get past silencing. After all, this is what I and others have witnessed. As you can see, he never left the server. There is no login/logout and the server didn't recycle the player instance. He's using some sort of trick that simulated logout/login to get around being silenced. See Nelg's post above for what it should look like.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

sinewav wrote:As you can see, he never left the server.

[0] Durf left USERS.
[0] Spectator Durf left.
Erm.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Magi wrote:
sinewav wrote:As you can see, he never left the server.

[0] Durf left USERS.
[0] Spectator Durf left.
Erm.
Magi, that is the whole point. See Nelg's post above for what it should look like when a player leaves the server. When a player leaves, Arma does a little clean-up work. This isn't happening with Durf because he isn't leaving, but fooling the server somehow.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

So, then look for (in the same logs) when he actually did "logout" and show me the part where it says

[1] Durf left the game.
[1] Killing user 1, ping 0.00534, IP <IP>: You logged out regularly.
Like it should.
Then you can ask us to spot the difference.

P.S I can logout and back in, in under 3 seconds when I have the server bookmarked. I just tested it with a stopwatch.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote:Anyone recognize that IP?
I don't have that specific IP in my server logs but I have similar IPs that link to Durf, however none of them are that IP you specified. I also know that he has dynamic IPs.

NOTE: I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything in this post.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:So, then look for (in the same logs) when he actually did "logout" and show me the part where it says

[1] Durf left the game.
[1] Killing user 1, ping 0.00534, IP <IP>: You logged out regularly.
There isn't a spot in the logs that looks like that. This is my whole point. He doesn't seem to be leaving the server. It looks like he's doing something else to bypass the silence feature and it's definitely related to the "user left/spectator user left/user plays" entries.

What does the log look like when you connect in under 3 seconds? Maybe the bug is related to super-fast re-joins?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote:There isn't a spot in the logs that looks like that. This is my whole point. He doesn't seem to be leaving the server. It looks like he's doing something else to bypass the silence feature and it's definitely related to the "user left/spectator user left/user plays" entries.
Then the client is deleting the player and recreating it.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

We already got that far thanks to Z-Man's post, didn't we?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sinewav and nelg are correct. sinewav's logs clearly show he is recreating his ePlayerNetID without closing the network connection to the server. I'll definitely check why that resets his server silence status. Very probably a bug. Edit: Ah. The thing where it stores the silence status for re-use when the player joins again is unsafe. It runs too late so quick rejoins can win the race, and you can fool it even more. Yes, with just some actions in the splitscreen setup.
The IP is the one Durf posted under on the forums.