Running Multiple Servers

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Running Multiple Servers

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:1) How do I solve "Server address mismatch" where my LAN IP is different than my forward facing IP?
If your trouble is when you connect to the server from your LAN, use "TRUST_LAN 1". If your problem is that this happens even to those coming from the internet (it should not; the server gets its public IP from the master servers), try setting SERVER_DNS to your public IP.
sinewav wrote:2) I installed zthreads, but authentication still happens between rounds instead of immediately. What to do?
If you did not have zthread installed, then ran configure, then installed zthread, the configuration would not yet know about it. If that's the case, just run "./config.status --recheck". It should have "LIBS : .... -lZThread ..." in its output near the end. (aww, ninjas.)
The other case where authentication waits for round breaks is if you're making a debug recording.
sinewav wrote:Note: I probably don't need authentication, but I want to understand it. If I can't get it working I can always go back to using ADMIN_PASS, right?
Sure, if you can live with its limitations; you can't have moderators with reduced rights with it, for example.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Because I haven't mentioned it earlier I am working on the armagetronad/0.2.8 branch.
Z-Man wrote:...use "TRUST_LAN 1"
It works, thanks! One down, one to go.
Z-Man wrote:If you did not have zthread installed, then ran configure, then installed zthread, the configuration would not yet know about it.
I had the zthread package installed before configuring, but it appears there is an intermediary step I left out? Here is the output of my check:

Code: Select all

sinewav-is-cool$ sudo apt-get install libzthread-2.3-2 libzthread-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libzthread-2.3-2 is already the newest version.
libzthread-dev is already the newest version.

sinewav-is-cool$ ./config.status --recheck
running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./configure --enable-dedicated --enable-armathentication --with-zthread --prefix=/home/arma --no-create --no-recursion
checking for zthread-config... no
checking for ZTHREAD - version >= 2.3.2... no
*** The zthread-config script installed by ZThread could not be found
*** If ZThread was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the ZTHREAD_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to zthread-config.
Some sort of zthread script is either missing or not configured properly. The solution appears to be recompiling with the flags mentioned in the zthread section on the wiki.

?/configure --disable-glout LIBS="-lZThread" CXXFLAGS="-DHAVE_LIBZTHREAD" CFLAGS="-DHAVE_LIBZTHREAD"
Can someone confirm this step is necessary for all branches of Armagetron Advanced? Where should this script be? Is it part of Arma's source or somewhere else?

Aside: I've spent dozens of hours over several frustrating days trying to understand this, but now I think I have a better handle on it than those who wrote 2/3rds of the wiki tutorials. :goatee:
Last edited by sinewav on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

sinewav wrote:Some sort of zthread script is either missing or not configured properly. The solution appears to be recompiling with the flags mentioned in the zthread section on the wiki.
[…]
Can someone confirm this step is necessary for all branches of Armagetron Advanced? Where should this script be? Is it part of Arma's source or somewhere else?
The zthread-config file was not installed on Debian < 8.1 “jessie”¹ or Ubuntu < 15.04 “Vivid Vervet”. The file itself is part of libzthread(-dev).

So, the step listed on the wiki is necessary if you're using an older version of Debian/Ubuntu.

1. Thanks to theo, for reporting and fixing the issue.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

This should help you out with getting ZThread installed. Then you will need to run the configure script again.

# Download & Extract
wget http://lightron.org/resource/ZThread-2.3.2.tar.gz
tar xvzf ZThread-2.3.2.tar.gz

# Enter Dir
cd ZThread-2.3.2

# Fix Config File
CONFIG=$(cat configure | sed 's/\[:space:\]/[[:space:]]/g')
echo "${CONFIG}" > configure

# Configure ZThread
./configure CXXFLAGS="-fpermissive" --prefix=/usr/

# Build & Install
make
make install
As for the mismatch for auth, you should be able to solve that with SERVER_DNS. Mine for example is set to "lightron.org".
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Light wrote:This should help you out with getting ZThread installed. Then you will need to run the configure script again.
I already have zthread installed, it's just missing the configuration script. The extra Arma ./configure flags above should correct the problem, no?

What is the advantage of using the archive on your site? Why does the included config file need double brackets? How does your configuration of zthread differ from what arma does at config time?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I just wanted to close this thread with a big Thank You for all the support. My servers are running as intended. This was a huge learning experience for me and an important milestone in my exploration of Armagetron. I now have the freedom to easily play server variants I've created, if only on my LAN. It has renewed my interest in the game and I hope to have more time to play in the near future.