iD Student / iD Tech

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

iD Student / iD Tech

Post by LittleSteps »

As /dev/null has mentioned before, there has been these countless players named "iD Student" running around which appear to play like shitty bots. Some do talk very rudely and others do not talk, but there are normally an average of 3 - 5 of these things on at a time. Just recently I have had to ban 10+ of them from a loose dogfight server for continuingly coming into the server and stabbing and annoying players which was against the rules for that particular server. You could tell they were bots by the exact distance between their turn and the wall. I wouldn't be in the position to point figures, but I've heard some people say Luke-JR, Lucifer, etc. I could get you over IP these players have ever had online, but I don't know how helpful that would be. I have IP scanned / checked these players countless times.

iD Student - 130.212.60.250 United States California San Francisco San Francisco State University
iD Student - 170.140.95.217 United States Georgia Druid Hills Emory University
iD Student - 129.7.105.237 United States Texas Houston University Of Houston
iD Student - 159.242.223.254 United States Indiana Indianapolis Butler University
iD Student - 130.253.201.80 United States Colorado Glendale University Of Denver

The majority of these players comes from the "University of Texas", or other universities.
While they all vary, I have experiences that most of them come from the University of Houston, some players have made the accusation of someone coding a bot and spreading it inside these Universities, but they don't play well at all so I don't know why someone would do that.

Very often you will see a server named, "iD Tech" or "Unnamed Server" which will have 6 - 10 players who don't talk or do anything.

While none of this bothers me too much, I have noticed most of the people who actively play are starting to accuse me of starting this problem which I can assure you this is not my doing.

This could be the developers, or players, but it's not helping the community grow at all because they do not talk, but when they rarely do they are very rude, nor play in consideration of servers with rules.

They are even on so much, http://browser.hashpickup.net has considered them a clan ha-ha.
Last edited by LittleSteps on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: iD Student / iD Tech

Post by ConVicT »

Dunno if this helps you, but my server's logged IPs from iD Student too.

By the by, I play Happy Fun Time with an iD Student, and he seems real enough. Even sure he has a login (can't recall it).

Point Figures:
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

ConVicT wrote:Dunno if this helps you, but my server's logged IPs from iD Student too.

By the way, I play Happy Fun Time with an iD Student, and he seems real enough. Even sure he has a login (can't recall it).

Maybe some players are starting to take the names of iD Students? This would be accurate if there was only one, but you can see from your screenshot they have countless different IPS.

One of them that I have encountered in HFT was able to do spells, but that's about it.

I know some happen to be real people because I have had them spam "F**k you" to me, lmao.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well I'm gonna "point a figure" :P , and say it's Nelg.
The only people I know of to make scripts for talking bots are Nelg and Light, I doubt it's light.
Seems like a Nelg thing to do... And I've not seen him lately, he's usually in and out of HFT for no apparent reason.

I've not looked at what iD Student does in happy fun time, but when it uses a spell, is it always the same spell?
And when he says "F**k You", is it always the same "F**k You"(case sensitively)?
Easily scripted tbh, try and figure out what triggers its "F**k You". :lol:

Edit... Actually, he could've just quite as easily made an array of FU's...
Guess you'll never know unless he admits to it.
My money's still on its Nelg.
Last edited by ConVicT on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Just a little background information:

ID Tech Camps in an on-line/brick school that teaches programming among other things. Armagetron has seen a steady influx of players from ID Tech (Nelhybel, Fazeuout, pie goes moo, Clu42). In the past, ID Tech activity was limited to summer months and they usually had their own servers (the racing one was popular). They even have their own moviepack.

It is not clear if these bots/users are from the ID Tech program and I don't know of a way to contact them. It might be a good idea (if someone has time, not me) to reach out and try to find a representative of that school and confirm this activity. There might be an easy solution.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Your first link has four ways of contact.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

ConVicT wrote:Well I'm gonna "point a figure" :P , and say it's Nelg.
The only people I know of to make scripts for talking bots are Nelg and Light, I doubt it's light.
Seems like a Nelg thing to do... And I've not seen him lately, he's usually in and out of HFT for no apparent reason.

I've not looked at what iD Student does in happy fun time, but when it uses a spell, is it always the same spell?
And when he says "F**k You", is it always the same "F**k You"(case sensitively)?

Nelg and Light have only used PHP and server side scripts to mimic the AI bots talking with intervals of time. Wouldn't be hard to code in the source code too due to string, Chat(tString( "**** you")); and activating it when something occurs such as an msg or death, etc. Possibly in ePlayer.cpp.

Light wouldn't care enough to do it and nor would Nelg I believe.

I am glad sinewav has given some insight, though, are they big enough of a nuisance to report? One of the people you linked have said they once banned Armagetron from their school for being too addictive, so them doing something about it could happen.

This is the perfect place to contact them, https://www.idtech.com/contact-us/ .
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

LittleSteps wrote: This is the perfect place to contact them, https://www.idtech.com/contact-us/ .
Yes, like I said, his first link.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

ConVicT wrote:
LittleSteps wrote: This is the perfect place to contact them, https://www.idtech.com/contact-us/ .
Yes, like I said, his first link.
Thank you, I believe I have took the correct course of action and sent them a message.

Other - Armagetron Advanced

Hello, I would like to advice you that there has been these countless players named "iD Student" around Armagetron Advanced, presumably from ID Tech who are have disrupted the Armagetron community through vulgar communication, rude playing and overall unacceptable attitudes.
They continue to be a nuisance to the players of Armagetron who enjoy this game. People are assuming this organization of players being directed from iD Tech are not only trying to create bots that ruins the over all enjoyment of playing with legit players, but are rudely spamming the servers, not playing in consideration of the rules nor respecting any of the other players. We would very much appreciate if you took the correct course of action to stop this notorious unappreciated activity as soon as possible..

Here are the only some of the IPs we receive from these directed players.

iD Student - 130.212.60.250 United States California San Francisco San Francisco State University

iD Student - 170.140.95.217 United States Georgia Druid Hills Emory University

iD Student - 129.7.105.237 United States Texas Houston University Of Houston

iD Student - 159.242.223.254 United States Indiana Indianapolis Butler University

iD Student - 130.253.201.80 United States Colorado Glendale University Of Denver

If you would like to see more information please visit this forums page http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 9&p=293366

Thank you.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:Your first link has four ways of contact.
Right, but none of those directly relate to a contact specific to Armagetron. ID Tech Camps probably has dozens or hundreds of employees and most likely the reception department has no idea what Armagetron is. Also, the previous contact listed on the wiki leads to a dead page. Like I said, I don't have time to play investigator, but I'm glad you guys do. I hope you solve the problem.

Also, please don't confuse "ID Student" with the player "Student" as they are different people.
AbSoul

Post by AbSoul »

I'd just like to point out.. @LittleSteps.. In your first picture "Swags Hacked Armagetron Client" at the top left.. That don't look like a very good sign to me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 22.24.22.png
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

AbSoul wrote:I'd just like to point out.. @LittleSteps.. In your first picture "Swags Hacked Armagetron Client" at the top left.. That don't look like a very good sign to me.
Didn't even see that, but I think you're a bit directionally challenged.
You joined away back in November 2014 and this is the first thing you say, on this post?... Weird.

Anyway, I came here just to point out, incase nobody has noticed; iD student is always green, and he's in nearly every active server. He's also in a few servers atm by himself but not playing, just spectating.
Starting to get the feeling this is some sort of "this game is still active" stunt.

Since he's obviously going to keep using iD Student as his name, I'd recommend for anyone hosting servers to just create an "everytime" with /admin kick iD Student.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:Well I'm gonna "point a figure" :P , and say it's Nelg.

Can I point out that the IPs you guys are listing aren't even remotely matching to mine?
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

AbSoul wrote:I'd just like to point out.. @LittleSteps.. In your first picture "Swags Hacked Armagetron Client" at the top left.. That don't look like a very good sign to me.
Where does it say client.. troll?
LittleSteps wrote: I have noticed most of the people who actively play are starting to accuse me of starting this problem which I can assure you this is not my doing.
Clearly didn’t think it was a secret.. hence the “me”, specially knowing I do not use that name actively anymore. Just a name I use to use when I was in the ID clan.
ConVicT wrote: You joined away back in November 2014 and this is the first thing you say, on this post?... Weird.

I agree.. I know this is one of the people from loose dogfight who troll; either rookie and kroz, both obsessed with this rapper name “ AbSoul “.. or could he zulu

Was never an alias made to be a secret identity, even Z-Man knows this is me..

Anyways I would have cropped that out if I cared and I happened to not make this post to start another problem.

// Back to what this topic was made for…
ConVicT wrote: Anyway, I came here just to point out, incase nobody has noticed; iD student is always green, and he's in nearly every active server. He's also in a few servers atm by himself but not playing, just spectating.
Starting to get the feeling this is some sort of "this game is still active" stunt.

Since he's obviously going to keep using iD Student as his name, I'd recommend for anyone hosting servers to just create an "every time" with /admin kick iD Student.
I have only seen a read one twice which is the ID Student2 in the screenshot, who was previously named ID TECH.

Very good observation though and I do like the idea of “ /admin kick iD Student” but who is going to get all the inactive server hosters to do this? Ends up being the same deal with the Armagetron police suggestion. Hopefully my message to them will provide something useful.
aP|Nelg wrote: Can I point out that the IPs you guys are listing aren't even remotely matching to mine?

Are they coming from universities? There are tons of ID TECH camps located everywhere.
Last edited by LittleSteps on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

//double post