Random 0.5-1 second screen freezes

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
rev
On Lightcycle Grid

Random 0.5-1 second screen freezes

Post by rev »

Hiya dear readers,
Whenever I play armagetron (and only with armagetron!) I get these random 0.5- 1 sec screen freezes that occur at least once every round, usually resulting in me crashing into my own wall after an outer triple.
I've used the 'improve DPS' guide and I switched from 0.2.8.x to 0.4, but none of it really worked.
Other games (that should be far more cpu intensive) run very smooth at high settings so it can't be my graphic card as well.
Any thoughts or ideas? Would be much appreciated, since it's really blocking my fun in this game, committing suicide all the time.
takburger
Match Winner

Re: Random 0.5-1 second screen freezes

Post by takburger »

maybe packet loss. try to audit that too, arma is very sensible with internet quality
rev
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rev »

Hmm, seems somewhat legitimate, but how do I verify whether I'm actually having packet loss?
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

How far are you from the local switch?

for example I have 5km of old telephone line before accessing to the real internet, therefore I need to configure my router packet handling to very safe so it adds bits of information to ask every packet to arrive safely or be resent. So my ping gets worse but I miss less packets.

Then, are you wired or in wifi ? If you have wifi, how strong is your signal, what is physically between you and your router (Plumbed walls will slow it down, your body as well if you have your hand on the wifi signal from your computer)

You can do some pings in console to the ip of the servers and see how stable it is during 1 minute (is it always the same ping or does it change / lose packets)
rev
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rev »

Hiya, ty for the tips!
I tried em out, but it appears that it's no internet related problem.
I've tried playing on an ethernet cable as well, but it didn't help anything.
A friend of mine basically has the same laptop, we just have different amount of ram / another graphic card.
He has the same kind of screen freezes, he just doesn't have em nearly as frequently as I do.
Any tips or ideas would be welcome :)