Issues with 2.8 - "Glance" feature

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Digital Logic
On Lightcycle Grid

Issues with 2.8 - "Glance" feature

Post by Digital Logic »

First off.. Did someone take down the link to the Beta from the AA page.. I didn't see it there a few mintues ago when I went to d/l 2.7

Why I'm I reinstalling 2.7 you ask?

The glance feature in 2.8 has changed the camera angle.. it's now higher looking down at a steeper angle and doesn't respond to changes. It seems somewhat restricted visually and not being able to pan or pivot the camera can be annoying. This is really noticable on servers with certian settings.. as I recall servers with higher cycle speeds seemed to make it more prominent.

I haven't found anything in the USER file or in the menu structure that would allow me to alter this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on modifying it, or has this been hardwired? Maybe I just missed it.

It's great that the camera doesn't point straight down anymore.. but maybe we replaced a old problem for a new one?
Digital Logic

p.s. I took some screenshots.. but they really don't show you the effect of it very well.
Attachments
2.8 shot
2.8 shot
You made me drive all this way... for that?!
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Re: Issues with 2.8 - "Glance" feature

Post by TiTnAsS »

Digital Logic wrote:First off.. Did someone take down the link to the Beta from the AA page.. I didn't see it there a few mintues ago when I went to d/l 2.7
beta.armagetronad.net only has the newest betas.... Try checking the official site for all release history.
Digital Logic wrote:Why I'm I reinstalling 2.7 you ask?

The glance feature in 2.8 has changed the camera angle.. it's now higher looking down at a steeper angle and doesn't respond to changes. It seems somewhat restricted visually and not being able to pan or pivot the camera can be annoying. This is really noticable on servers with certian settings.. as I recall servers with higher cycle speeds seemed to make it more prominent.
They are working on fixing camera glance issues now, just bear with us til the PROPER release of 0.2.8.0...
Digital Logic wrote:I haven't found anything in the USER file or in the menu structure that would allow me to alter this.
There isnt one yet as far as i know. Z-Man this is your cue :)...

EDIT: Mabye you should use a closer up custom view... Good ones: camera_custom_back 6.5, camera_custom_rise 5, camera_custom_pitch -.5 (/dev/null) This one is good for just about everything...
camera_custom_back 3.1, camera_custom_rise 2, camera_custom_pitch -.5 (TiTnAsS) This one is good for tunneling/mazing...
camera_custom_back 2, camera_custom_rise 1, camera_custom_pitch 0 (/dev/null) This gives a good feel for cockpit style driving.. :)
Damn, it sure has been a while!
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

Try setting CAMERA_SMART_GLANCE_CUSTOM 0 in settings.cfg. That will disable using the custom camera settings when glancing in smart camera mode. This assumes you are using the smart camera.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, that new feature was to help out with doing quick 180s, you know, for doublebinders.

*dodges*

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

TnA and K are right, Lucifer is of course to be ignored :) There's a bug in the 0.2.8_beta1 implementation that makes glancing look different from what was intended (it should use the custom camera settings, but it deviates a bit from them). It's fixed, will be in 0.2.8_beta2 and then we'll make a poll over what is the favorite, which then will be the default in the final stable. I personally like the new glancing (now that it works).
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Err howd you fix it, i thought right now it was just turning from where it was, and if it was back it could be a pain...

Did you make it go to the side and have the custom effect as if the side was the back while you hold glance?

Sorry that i don't make much sence... :/
Damn, it sure has been a while!