Lag Help

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Angel
We love Angel!

Lag Help

Post by Angel »

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me, I have recently formatted my laptop, since then Armagetron has been behaving strangely, i am using the latest arma release.
Basically before i formatted my laptop, arma played ok, except for the game used to close randomly for no reason, it was annoying, but it was ok to deal with, however since my new install all arma does is lag, my ping is ok, even when i am playing an online game against bots, they are sliding all over the server as am i, playing against other players is near impossible, non of the other players notice as i am such a bad player at the best of times lol, but this lag problem is making the game to not be as fun as it should be :( Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU
M 430 @ 2.27GHz
4GB RAM
64 bit

Windows 7 Professional - service pack 1

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Bytes
Round Winner

Re: Lag Help

Post by Bytes »

I imagine what Z-man will ask you to do is take a debug recording, so getting one of those available wouldn't hurt.

Is your FPS dropping as well or is that staying ok?
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I don't know exactly what's wrong but here's some guesses:

- What's your framerate at? If it's below 50-60 it may feel really choppy. It could be your graphics driver then, since you say that you recently formatted it, it could be that thing is broken. (To fix: update drivers)

- What are the settings Prediction and Lag-O-Meter set to (can be found in the menu Multiplayer -> Network Setup or under the console commands "predict_objects" and "lag_o_meter")? If Prediction is on and you are not used to it, any multiplayer game will look like stuff jumps around randomly. I would recommend to turn Prediction off and Lag-O-Meter on, unless you are specifically used to other settings.

- Are you on an unreliable wireless connection or are there other people in your network who download stuff/watch a lot of movies etc.? About the wireless, if the connection quality thing shows 3 bars or more you should be fine. If someone in your network downloads a lot, tell them to download less. I do not really think this is the reason for your lags since this usually results in large ping numbers but as I have no clue, here you are.

I hope this helps you fix things, but I can't guarantee anything.
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

Thank you for the replies

My FPS has always been a lil weird even when the game was running correctly, it can range from 250 or more down to 65

I have updated my drivers, i have even tried running the game in different compatibility modes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled arma several times and have even tried older versions, but i still have the same problem.

I am on a wireless connection, but i have been for years and have never had this issue, my wireless connection is reliable and i have not had any other issues with anything other than arma, Quake, Half Life and UT are all running perfectly :(
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

The way you said slides instead of jumps made me think the graphics problem was unlikely but it was worth a shot, anything above 60 FPS you can't physically notice and tbh anything above about 30 should be pretty much unnoticeable as well.

As I said, debug recording for Z-man and ask him nicely to see if he can see anything the matter with how the program is working.
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

Bytes wrote:As I said, debug recording for Z-man and ask him nicely to see if he can see anything the matter with how the program is working.
I always ask nicely :P

I would be happy to do the debug recording, but, I have no idea how? :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Bytes wrote:As I said, debug recording for Z-man and ask him nicely to see if he can see anything the matter with how the program is working.
That.

From the description, it sounds a bit like the old timer issue where your clock is running at a wrong rate and arma can't compensate. I thought that was mostly fixed by now.
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

Thank you for the reply Z Man, what can I do to fix it? :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nothing without a proper diagnosis, for which I need a debug recording. As simple as possible, just you entering the server, playing one or two rounds.
http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Debug_Recording
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

I have made a recording, you can see how bad it gets after the round has been won a few seconds after i enter. I really hope i have made this correctly, apologies in advance if i haven't :)
Attachments
ArmagetronAdvancedDebugRecording.zip
(270.29 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, there seems to be no timer drift, that is good. The start of the round seems to throw your timer off, however.
Between the version you are using and current 0.2.9 alpha builds, there was one big relevant change in that area. So please: download one of the alpha builds ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/armaget ... .2.8/2013/ ) and see if they are any better for you.
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

hi Z-Man i tried all 3 Alpha versions and if anything the problem was worse, any idea what i can try next, and again, thank you for your help :)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Have you checked your CPU usage?
Maybe something is using to much, if there's something taking it all up that you don't need, or aren't using, then you should just kill the process and then play tron.

I had this problem a while back with "svchost.exe (LocalServiceNoNetwork)" but when u kill that it starts back up again, but not using anywhere near as much as it was before, well that was the case for me anyway.

I have a new problem now with CPU because of "WmiPrvSE.exe"
I've read up on this and it could be a virus, followed all the steps and i had 4 different files of this, still can't get rid of them, but my norton says they're fine :?
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

hi Convict :) i have checked my CPU usage and i have nothing weird or dodgy running, it was one of the first things i looked at to be honest, thank you for the help as it was good advice :)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

he'll probbaoly want another debug recordng using the r1417 one then.

just curious if you have installed the video card drivers for your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 from ATI's site?