Moviepacks on Ubuntu - how to install?

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Moviepacks on Ubuntu - how to install?

Post by Phytotron »

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html

And, ignore Word's posts.

As with OSX, the ~ indicates your home folder. The / indicates a directory (as opposed to the \ in Windows). And as sinewav pointed out, a period preceding a filename indicates it's hidden.

Though, that does beg the question, why is that folder hidden in the first place?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's a Unix tradition to store application data files in ~/.<application name>. They are hidden so a plain 'ls' in your home directory can look neat and tidy no matter how many apps you used, and that they are hidden does not bother command line users much.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

They just stick it all in your main home directory instead of a dedicated "Application Support"-like ( :wink: ) directory within it? So, in other words, for the sake of it being "neat and tidy" for terminal output purposes, it ends up really messy in a file browser, so they figured, ah screw it, just hide it? The heck?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Rob Pike (co-creator of Unix) on the origin of dotfiles:
Second, and much worse, the idea of a "hidden" or "dot" file was created. As a consequence, more lazy programmers started dropping files into everyone's home directory. I don't have all that much stuff installed on the machine I'm using to type this, but my home directory has about a hundred dot files and I don't even know what most of them are or whether they're still needed. Every file name evaluation that goes through my home directory is slowed down by this accumulated sludge.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

~/.config/ and ~/.local/share/($XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME) have popped up more recently for all the user data.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Right, those exist now. We already moved the Windows user files to a better organized place, so why don't we do the same on Unix now?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No reason, that's why! So now,
UserConfigDir is $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/armagetronad,
UserDataDir is $XDG_DATA_HOME/armagetronad,
VarDir is $XDG_DATA_HOME/armagetronad/var
by default.
A case could be made for frommaster.srv to reside in $XDG_CACHE_HOME because deleting it (usually, since almost nobody uses score bias) has no ill effect OR $XDG_CONFIG_HOME because it contains user configuration (score bias) and for the resource cache to go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME for obvious reasons, but I'm not in the mood do add another path class, mostly to avoid user confusion (also, laziness). I already had to add another directory open menu item for the user config directory.

Also, affecting all platforms, user.cfg now is in UserDataDir, no longer in Var, and no config files except user.cfg's from old installations are ever read from var.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

To avoid posting offtopic here, i made a new thread here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =4&t=22720

Please do use it for everything related to the move of ~/.armagetronad
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.