ubunta client version

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Outside Corner Grinder

ubunta client version

Post by 2020 »

is there a version that runs on ubuntu?
hold the line
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: ubunta client version

Post by Z-Man »

Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

There is also a version in the software center.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yep, 0.2.8.3.2-1, to be specific.

But this brings up this series of questions: Does that receive any updates, like the snapshots or whatever? Arma's on launchpad now, right? Do you have a "sudo add-apt-repository" dealio? Or does a Linux user need to compile from source if they want to use the latest snapshot or beta versions, etc.?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:But this brings up this series of questions: Does that receive any updates, like the snapshots or whatever?
The versions that come with distributions typically receive security and bugfix updates shortly after we publish them and are upgraded to new versions whenever one is ready by the time a new distro version is frozen. So they are perfectly sane to use.
Phytotron wrote:Arma's on launchpad now, right? Do you have a "sudo add-apt-repository" dealio? Or does a Linux user need to compile from source if they want to use the latest snapshot or beta versions, etc.?
All in the link. Yes, yes, and no.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:All in the link.
Which I read over, but it's confusing as to what to do with any of that. As per usual, a familiarity with technical things is assumed, which if you want casual users to use betas, etc.... Also, the organization of that page, with the Hardy and older versions stuff mixed in, makes it further unclear what's what. Oh well, whatever.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You explicitly asked about add-apt-repository, which is right there in the fourth line, and that's with counting headings. No complaining!
Phytotron wrote:which if you want casual users to use betas, etc....
I personally don't want to encourage them, just not stand in their way. Betas are for people who generally know what they're doing.
Phytotron wrote:Also, the organization of that page, with the Hardy and older versions stuff mixed in, makes it further unclear what's what. Oh well, whatever.
Well, Hardy fell out of support last year, so those bits can be edited out now.

And I guess a "What happens if you follow the instructions below" paragraph wouldn't hurt.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:You explicitly asked about add-apt-repository, which is right there in the fourth line, and that's with counting headings. No complaining!
I'm asking if there's a particular one for getting automatic updates of the latest snapshots, and/or if that's included in what's installed from the Software Center. Same for betas, etc. If the answer to that is on that page, I don't see or understand it.
I personally don't want to encourage them, just not stand in their way. Betas are for people who generally know what they're doing.
I can't remember if it was you, but in the past it was either you or Lucifer who have said you did want everyday users to try those out.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:I'm asking if there's a particular one for getting automatic updates of the latest snapshots, and/or if that's included in what's installed from the Software Center.
All sources of that type auto-update, provided they are fed by the maintainers. You're right, that's not explicitly written, that's something for the 'what you're getting if you do this' paragraph.