Subversion binaries

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
delinquent
Match Winner

Subversion binaries

Post by delinquent »

I have located and downloaded a svn windows port/adaptation w/e from a website called collabnet. I'm just wondering, is there any advice anyone can give me about pulling the svn source for arma dedicated, and possibly a general pointer in the right direction? I'm looking at google, but I don't know if I should rely entirely on some of the guides that I have found to subversion there.

I am still relatively new to this kind of thing, so if I have asked a stupid question just tell me straight :)

Edit: The program that I have downloaded is called Subversion Edge. What, if any, difference is there, if anyone knows?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Subversion binaries

Post by Phytotron »

bynars.jpg
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Here are some instructions:

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/ ... evelopment

I recommend you use Bzr instead of Subversion, but if you must, use TortoiseSVN.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Heh phyto, much appreciated xD
Cheers epsy, I'm also looking at a tutorial loversboy made.

Is the only difference with tortoise-svn the GUI? or are there other implications?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

There are a few simple reasons that Bzr is considered to be the better choice for armagetron. Bzr is what the active devs use for active development. So, if you want to use Launchpad to try out the latest bugfixes/experimental branches, you have to use Bzr. Also, the reason that the devs have switched from SVN to Bzr (for the most part) is that bzr has a lot more flexibility. Also, my personal experience in setting up servers and building source on linux boxes via bzr and svn has made one thing clear to me. I prefer to use bzr. I don't really develop stuff, I have with a few other projects in my life actually tinkered with the C++ or Python code to make a tiny simple hack that I want. I have never done that with Armagetron, I have only used python for a few server starter/server parser scripts.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I see.

The main reason that I'm doing this is because the CVS hybrid doesn't appear to be able to read XML files. If my assumption is correct, this is an issue with the CVS build, and is not present in the compiled version of arma. Am I shooting the wrong suspect here?

Edit: Scratch that, I think I've found where I went wrong. I'm still going to use the compiled version that I have for the time being, I need to read up on using XML type maps
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

compguygene wrote:Bzr is what the active devs use for active development. So, if you want to use Launchpad to try out the latest bugfixes/experimental branches, you have to use Bzr.
Actually, from a user point of view, theres not much difference between bzr and svn, if any. Eventually the svn version will stop being supported, but at the moment, both are synchronized automatically, so anything that makes it to the bzr gets automatically replicated to svn.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

nux wrote:Eventually the svn version will stop being supported, but at the moment, both are synchronized automatically, so anything that makes it to the bzr gets automatically replicated to svn.
The syncing is on a break currently, waiting for me to connect the home server back to the net.