Factory reset

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
delinquent
Match Winner

Factory reset

Post by delinquent »

Is there a way to completely reset a server? When I close the window and restart the program it automatically includes the previous script, which I can't find to edit. Ergo, is there a way to remove all instances of a script or setting, like a fresh install?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Factory reset

Post by Z-Man »

What script? How do you run it? For a server without hacky scripts written around it, just restarting the server process is a cold reboot. Only the ban list (and, on 0.2.8, the highscore/ladder data) survives it.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I'm sorry, I should have worded it better. I meant a config file, such as one used to set scores, server settings and the like, that would be included using the "rinclude" function. I should also mention that it's the Windows port of 0.2.8 sty and CT.

On a further note, I'm unable to physically restart the machine as it's a VM in the Amazon cloud. I've heard tell it's possible, but that one risks losing data, elastic IP settings and the like.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Just rename the file when the AA server is shut down. Then start the server, it will see no config and fallback to default configs. The catchy part is that the server wont write this file until its shut down again; this is to ensure that temporary changes in the config wont be written to the config file. After a new file is created, check it out and remove the old one if applicable.

Turn off, rename file, turn on, turn off, check new file, if new file is ok, delete old one, if not, restore the name.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

You can safely restart an Amazon EC2 instance. I have done that several times. The only risk is that your IP address is reassigned. In my experience, on a restart the IP address has remained the same. You can restart the server from the EC2 console, or as root from the command line. If you are running Ubuntu,

Code: Select all

sudo su
/sbin/restart
will restart the server.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

nux wrote:Just rename the file when the AA server is shut down. Then start the server, it will see no config and fallback to default configs. The catchy part is that the server wont write this file until its shut down again; this is to ensure that temporary changes in the config wont be written to the config file. After a new file is created, check it out and remove the old one if applicable.
The server doesn't save user.cfg at all, if that's what you're referring to.

delinquent: It only loads the config files the user has explicitly provided. On Unix, you could check which files are actually read using strace to find and eliminate any that disturb you; dunno about Windows. I suppose you should just look globally for settings_custom.cfg and autoexec.cfg (they're read from specific directories, but which ones varies from Windows version to version). And, of course, if you modified settings(_dedicated).cfg or any other included configuration file, you need to reinstall.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It was getting on my tits so I just did a clean re-install.
It was loading some stuff in the aateam folder, but when I substituted the file for a blank one it crashed... I have no idea what GT has done to it, but he'll have to do it again xD

Funnily enough, the original sty+ct build that I had on there installed in directory named Sty+CT, but the one that I have just downloaded from the wiki installs in directory named dedicated... But for all intents and purposes is the same. Am I just desperate to find something wrong here?
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Too many hacks, if you ask me.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.