Custom camera

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Bond

Custom camera

Post by Bond »

I have been trying to create a custom camera but didn't know how to save it so I checked the wiki article which said that I need to make a file called autoexec.cfg In my user config/directory. I'm confused about what that exactly means. I know how to get to my arma folder through library...etc and in the var folder I found a file called user.cfg but when I try to open it a window pops up saying that there is no default application specified to open it. Not sure if the last part is relevant but I just wanted to put it out there. If it matters at all I'm on a Mac btw.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Custom camera

Post by Ratchet »

Bond wrote:I have been trying to create a custom camera but didn't know how to save it so I checked the wiki article which said that I need to make a file called autoexec.cfg In my user config/directory. I'm confused about what that exactly means. I know how to get to my arma folder through library...etc and in the var folder I found a file called user.cfg but when I try to open it a window pops up saying that there is no default application specified to open it. Not sure if the last part is relevant but I just wanted to put it out there. If it matters at all I'm on a Mac btw.
Open the files with notepad.

Copy and paste your user.cfg file, and it will make user-copy.cfg

rename it to autoexec (it will automatically have .cfg)

delete all text in autoexec.cfg file (it has all of your user settings)

put your camera settings in autoexec.cfg

in the last line of user.cfg, type INCLUDE autoexec.cfg

tron, and have fun
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Bond

Post by Bond »

thx got it :P :P :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

What? No no no.

First, he said he's on a Mac. That means TextEdit, not Notepad. So, open TextEdit. You're creating a new document. Forget all that user.cfg stuff.

Second, once you've opened TextEdit and have your untitled document sitting there, make sure the format is set to "plain text" (as opposed to rich text, RTF). You can set that in the Preferences to be your default, or set it for just that file under "Format" in the menu.

Third, enter your custom cam settings. There's no reason to put "INCLUDE autoexec.cfg" anywhere, not here, not in user.cfg. It's called "auto exec(ute)" for a reason.

Fourth, 'Save As' and title the file autoexec.cfg. Double-check that it's plain text and make sure it doesn't append .txt at the end. Save it to your var folder.

As far as the "no default application" message, your default application for any .cfg files is TextEdit. Just control/right-click on a .cfg file, select "open with," and then TextEdit. It might ask you if you want to make that the default application, say yes. If it doesn't ask, then it's automatic; I can't remember.

All that said, I believe at some point autoexec.cfg is meant to be deprecated. I don't know if that's occurring with 0.4 or not. But, you're meant to start using settings_custom.cfg (if I recall correctly) going forward.
Bond

Post by Bond »

I did what ratchet said and it worked though...so thanks anyways phytotron :D.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Sigh.

Plus sixteen.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

@Phyto: Tron automatically fixes what ratchet is doing "wrong" ;)
And autoexec.cfg works on 0.4 clients too. On servers (0.2 and 0.4), settings_custom.cfg is used instead though.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

For the record, autoexec.cfg still works on servers too, but it really isn't the best way to do things at all. If I remember correctly, Z-man still runs his servers that way. I also have one server I run that way too.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well then why don't you tell us the best way?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

vov wrote:@Phyto: Tron automatically fixes what ratchet is doing "wrong" ;)
I know this, but it's a handful of unnecessary and silly steps. Also, beginning with user.cfg (why would you even do that instead of a new, blank document?) could potentially lead to screwups. And I have no idea how he could say he used Notepad on a Mac.
sinewav wrote:Well then why don't you tell us the best way?
The settings_custom.cfg + server_info.cfg +<server name>.cfg dealio. Don't ask me why from a technical standpoint; I'll leave it to Z-Man or someone to answer that. I will say it makes for cleaner, more explicit organization, though, for me anyway. When Swampy was hosting Shrunkland he used autoexec.cfg and stuff, but all your different classifications of settings are thrown in there together. When Gene began hosting I found I preferred the newer method of organization.
Bond

Post by Bond »

I'm not stupid I also knew I could use TextEdit :roll:
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

From what i know the various .cfgs exist a) for the organization and b) in the case you update your server they remain untouched. And maybe c) in case you give those to someone for testing/checking so they won't need to go through several other .cfgs with lots of unchanged default stuff. e.g RINCLUDEing/equals copying ladle.cfg by inserting one line versus copying over 5 modified files for it and having to go through those to change back your custom stuff. Everyone still can do it their way though if they like.
viper1

Post by viper1 »

Hey I got myself a new laptop and i am completely new to mac... how can i get to my var folder?

I can find it easy on windows my path way would be: C:\Users\Jakes\AppData\Roaming\Armagetron

Could someone tell me what the pathway would be on my mac?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

You should see that when you open the "About"-menu in Arma. And in 0.4 you can open those folders from the game.
viper1

Post by viper1 »

Woop! done it. Cheers for your help :)