Server Browser: Server Unreachable

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Post Reply
User avatar
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by MusicMeg21 »

So, I'm very sorry if this is one of those "stupid" questions, but I'm wondering why some of the servers--for example, Crazy Tronners Wild Fortress--claim to be "unreachable" when looking through the Server Browser. When I click on the server, though, it works fine. Also, people are happily, or not-so-happily, playing in it. Is it just showing in my window that it's unreachable, even though its not?

Again, sorry if this is a question people should know :o. Also, if this is posted somewhere else, I apologize for making a second thread(?) :oops:

Any help ?

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by Z-Man »

The method that determines whether a server is reachable does not differ much from the real login, so I don't really know what's happening there; I just have two guesses. The difference may be big enough to make your personal firewall do something weird (especially if it's Norton). Or the servers went into turtle mode, which makes them temporarily unresponsive to server browser pings.

User avatar
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by MusicMeg21 »

Z-Man wrote:The method that determines whether a server is reachable does not differ much from the real login, so I don't really know what's happening there; I just have two guesses. The difference may be big enough to make your personal firewall do something weird (especially if it's Norton). Or the servers went into turtle mode, which makes them temporarily unresponsive to server browser pings.
I don't know because if I do click the server, it works perfectly fine. I just can't see the players in there, whether it's full or not--although, that's a given if I can't see the players, the ping, etc.. etc... ? I don't believe I have a firewall on either... though, I'm completely clueless. I know in my preferences it says that the firewall is not on.

User avatar
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1860
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by kyle »

ya most likely was in turtle mode, it was activated 3 times today on CTWF.
Image

User avatar
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by MusicMeg21 »

The server still says it's unreachable--though I can connect to it--along with Dogfight, The Yellow Submarine, The Tavern, Happy Fun Time, and many more. I'm not too sure what's wrong.

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by Z-Man »

If it's many more and permanent, it's probably not turtle mode, and rather your firewall doing silly things. The standard Windows firewall usually is fine, but your Internet provider or PC vendor may have installed another one, and another one may be in your router. We (well, I, for one) can't give any more support on that matter, I'm afraid. You have to look, test whether disabling one helps, and if yes, decide whether you just want to keep it disabled or whether you want to fix its configuration.

User avatar
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by MusicMeg21 »

Z-Man wrote:If it's many more and permanent, it's probably not turtle mode, and rather your firewall doing silly things. The standard Windows firewall usually is fine, but your Internet provider or PC vendor may have installed another one, and another one may be in your router. We (well, I, for one) can't give any more support on that matter, I'm afraid. You have to look, test whether disabling one helps, and if yes, decide whether you just want to keep it disabled or whether you want to fix its configuration.
I've a macbook, and the firewall says it's off :o

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6300
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by sinewav »

I'm pretty sure it was turtle mode. I was in CTWF when Meg was and people were randomly disconnecting and lagging.

User avatar
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by MusicMeg21 »

Ah, all right. I'll see what happens in a couple of days.

Thank you ! :3

User avatar
dukevin
Round Winner
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:25 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by dukevin »

Turtle mode has been affecting my server a lot lately too and usually when it activates, the server crashes or people disconnect.

What's the proper way to disable turtle mode all together?
ping_flood_global -1 ?
It still seems to activate with that setting.
Image

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by Z-Man »

dukevin wrote:Turtle mode has been affecting my server a lot lately too and usually when it activates, the server crashes or people disconnect.
Causality may be the other way around. The one false positive activation of turtle mode I know is when people drop because their IP address changes for some reason; the server misinterprets their continued attempts to keep the connection up as a flood attack. Turtle mode only affects new connections and pings.
Edit: Also, server crashes cause turtle mode when the server respawns because of the flood the previous clients are producing.
dukevin wrote:What's the proper way to disable turtle mode all together?
ping_flood_global -1 ?
It still seems to activate with that setting.
That one is specifically only for ping floods. CONNECTION_FLOOD_SENSITIVITY is the one you want negative (or lower). Do report back whether that solves the real problems (not just turtle mode going away, but the disconnections and crashes), if turtle mode CAUSES crashes, I need to know.
Edit: done that by default, it's now lowered so that single, confused clients don't trigger it any more.

User avatar
nelg
Average Program
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by nelg »

Could you remove the message and see what happens?
<!DOCTYPE UI><UI version=''3.0'' stdsetdef=>''1''
<class>Form1</class>
<widget class=>''Dialog''

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Server Browser: Server Unreachable

Post by Z-Man »

Which message? And how would that help?

Post Reply