Two tron versions.

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Two tron versions.

Post by INW »

I have two tron versions downloaded on my computer. One is good and runs debug recordings while the other one doesn't. It is not the correct version to do so. Anyway, when I go to open a recording, such as that of the ladle, I think it opens the "bad" version thus, throwing the recording away and not playing it. How do I select which version the recording chooses to play on?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Two tron versions.

Post by sinewav »

What OS?
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Windows 7!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Good luck, I don't think any developers use Windows.

Keep in mind that these are *debug* recordings. As in, for debugging. As in, not for playback.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Usually, the version you installed LAST is used to run a debug recording if you doubleclick on it.
If you want to manually select the version, you need to open a command prompt ("cmd"), cd to the installation directory of that version, and enter ".\armagetronad.exe --playback <recording name with full path>"
Or put the recording on your desktop, rename it to ArmagetronAdvancedDebugRecording.aarec and use the 'playback' start menu entry of the good version.
Yeah, it's a drag, but as Luke says, debug recordings.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Doesn't Windows have an "open with"-type command thingamabob, to where one can assign specific types of files to specific programs?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, but it's semi-useless for this case. It would only be able to execute "armagetronad.exe <recording name>" without the --playback switch, which wouldn't work. And you'd still only be able to marry the .aarec extension to one version. What would be needed here is an intermediate program that scans the recording for the correct version (easy, it's in the first line) and launches that version (hard due to the way Windows installations work, no good way to find the executable; some registry storage is likely required here) with the correct command line (easy again).