Authentication not working for me.

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
cløver
On Lightcycle Grid

Authentication not working for me.

Post by cløver »

Can someone like cancel this username so I can make a new one. I have tried literally everything to authenticate on the grids.
I type in:
"/login"
then I see a little menu that shows where you should type the username and password
I type in "cløver@forums"
then i type in my password just the way i typed it to log into this forum. When I press the enter button it tells me this":
"Login failed, reason: Local user not found." :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

help me fix this please. idk if this account is too old or something or I'm not doing something right help me...
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Re: Authentication not working for me.

Post by ZURD101 »

cløver wrote: I type in:
"/login"
then I see a little menu that shows where you should type the username and password
I type in "cløver@forums"
instead type in

Code: Select all

/login cløver@forums
when the prompt comes up, Dont touch the username...just type in your password and hit enter.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, um, shouldn't it be the default that using the menu to authenticate should work with online servers? Having to school people on typing the full "/login <name@authority>" thing is more common than it should be.

Or, at least, have an option in the menu that makes it clear what you're logging into—a) whatever it is (I'm still not clear on this) that the "local user not found" is supposed to, or b) the online authority that logs one into a server.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, we do display what login is going on on the login menu title. And the decentral nature of the process makes it impossible to switch authorities on the fly; you can't switch from local login (which is local accounts set up on the server specifically) to @forums. Well, not really impossible, but extremely awkward.

I guess what we can do is this: make the default global ID just "@forums". This would make the default action of the 'Authenticate' menu item to log in to a forum account, people would just have to enter their username. And since we don't scramble our hashes with the username, the forum authentication script could, if a user is not found, remove any trailing "@forums" and try again. And maybe the server can be taught to catch "@forums" local logins and bend them over to true forum logins, provided the server admin didn't mess with prefix and suffix settings.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Right, I forgot it showed in the title. Nonetheless...

Firstly, I still don't get what the "log in with local account" refers to. I don't know what "local accounts set up on the server specifically" means. What is its usefulness? :?

Secondly, I wasn't suggesting defaulting to a specific Global ID/authority (e.g., "@forums"). Rather, what I was suggesting was that the login prompt default to "log in with authority forums" rather than "log in with local account."

But, reconsidering and scratching that idea—because then where would the local type go—what I would suggest is that when one selects "Authentication" from the menu, or enters simply "/login," that in that menu that pops up, there should perhaps be an additional field where one would select whether it was local or with some authority—the same type that "Store Password" is, ya know.

Methinks the "username" field should probably be left blank as well, don't you think? Seems kind of odd it would default to whatever one's current screenname happens to be.

Or am I missing something really significant here?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Local accounts are accounts the server admin specifically set up via configuration items (LOCAL_USER, IIRC). They are not bound to any authority and can be unique to a server. They are a tad more secure than anything else because the attack path of listening to the server/authority communication or hacking the authority does not exist for them.

We're not pasting in the current screen name in 0.2.8.3 any more, not since we actually got the system to work.

And global ID="@forums" precisely does what you suggest: login prompt will show "Authority forums", username will be blank.

It's not really possible to let users pick the authority in the password dialog. The way the password hash is constructed depends on the authority, so we'd have to first store the password, ask the server again for the new hash method of the different authority, the server has to contact the authority for the answer, pass it to the client, and only then the client can complete the response.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

OK. Well, perhaps a structure with a single-action menu thing in-between, like such:

- In-Game Menu (select Authenticate)
- "Select Authentication Type: [toggle between Local Account / Authority Forums(orwhateveryouwanncallit)]"
- password menu as current, depending on which type is chosen

I dunno. Obviously, that adds another layer to the menu, but it's a directed one. Just trying to think of what might make it a little more straight-forward and intuitive for people.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

The reason it isn't working is the o in his name, right?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

No, he wrote /login so the server thought he wanted a local login(explained earlier).