Linux - X windows, problem with multible screens

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Linux - X windows, problem with multible screens

Post by delinquent »

Is there any way to instruct the OS to do it using SDL? Or am I overthinking this now?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sure. As I think I said earlier, you need to edit your X configuration so that certain resolutions are tied to the screen configurations. I've been using this (nvidia):
[/quote="Xorg.conf"]
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "MetaModes" " ,1280x1024 @1280x1024 +0+0; 1280x1024_60, 1280x1024; 1024x768_100 @1024x1024, 1280x1024; 1024x768, ; 1920x1080,"
[/quote]
If, in a game, I select a resolution of 2560x1024, I get the game spread over both monitors. If I select 1280x1024, it goes to the second screen (the LCD), if I select 1024x768, it goes to the first (the CRT). The other screen goes dark.
(And yeah, the CRT can manage 1920x1080 somehow, but not very well.)
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Aye, what I was getting at was creating some form of extension for arma that does that, with a range of cards, on a range of monitors, on a spread of systems. In effect, doing what you did there, but automatically.

Also, that must be some CRT you have there :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, that would be worse to implement :) You'd need to know all the monitors, all the GPUs and execute the tool with root rights.
What may be possible is to keep using SDL for the real video initialization, but use system specific code to make appropriate preparations. That is what we do with VSync settings, for example.

And no, which resolutions a CRT can display depends only on the number of lines and the refresh rate; it can do 1280x1024 officially, so 1920x1040 is not too much out of range. You then just have to squish the picture a bit vertically to get the correct aspect ratio. And accept there is no way the thing can cleanly resolve individual pixels. Neither the colour matrix nor the electron beams nor the electronics are capable of that.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Looking at things some more, it seems reasonably easy to query the screen setup using xinerama and then...
do what exacly? What was the problem again? We definitely can open the game on just one screen using a borderless window, or display the menu on only one screen, maybe respect the screen layout for local multiplayer.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It was more about making sure that arma displays only over one screen, but allowing the user to designate that screen. Also, the ability to stretch over three or more screens in various layouts would be cool, but stretched over three in a straight line would be even cooler.

I also thought about mirrors: The bikes in the original movie look like they have mirrors to me, so what about the ability to use them? It would suck for chipsets and built in graphics, but it's fine if you have an external even if it is a couple of years old. I tried experimenting with something called tailcam, but arma servers don't like clients that are modded in such a way.

Bear in mind I have nil experience compared to people here, so I probably don't know what I'm doing.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

edit: im a fucktard more buttons since it needs 19

double edit: arma runs way slower when its not fullscreened, find a way to make it not make my second and third screens black, just so I can get decent fps. no other linux game does that, maybe its a linux thing, but I dont think it is.

the only way to properly fullscreen tron here requires turning off my other monitors, and my metamodes are just ******* fine.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

sdl needs to use one part of the monitor without a massive fps hit, it seems to suck nuts when its not in control of all the output devices. I go from thousands of frames per second to around 30 if im lucky, some kind of block is going on.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

This takes way too much time and we have too many other things that need to be done and too little time for even that.

also, like what?

if the game cant figure out how to realize what the **** its running on, we might as well make an emulator for it, instead of wasting time converting more shit to xml that didnt ******* need it in the first place.

last update on sourceforge was a year ago.

edit: im sorry for raging, but it seems silly you arent willing to move away from this, sdl isnt a religion.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

/dev/null wrote:sdl needs to use one part of the monitor without a massive fps hit, it seems to suck nuts when its not in control of all the output devices. I go from thousands of frames per second to around 30 if im lucky, some kind of block is going on.
That would be to blame on your composing window manager. They do that. I'm avoiding them for precisely that reason.

Point to those other games and we may have a look at their source.

Otherwise, I'm not in the mood to discuss development priorities with someone the forum has to censor every second sentence. Two things form the top of my head that are more important:
-console output and HUD overlap
-sound mixing is still bad
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Im not using compositing, also, tron has sound? who the **** listens to that? Your shitty morals about naughty words doesnt make my point any less valid, you just use it as an excuse to ignore my very valid points. Obviously making the text prettier is way more ******* important than making the game work right on modern systems. You are the guy we have to thank for the code clusterfucker we are still fixing right?
http://i.imgur.com/x75jf.png
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

eh **** it, you dont care. do whatever. this didnt use to censor people till you came back.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

If it's really that important, why don't you go and do something about it instead of raging at a guy who built a game for a uni project. You seem pretty ungrateful to me.

Z-Man: do you particularly mind if I make some modifications to the windows port, with the intention of posting them here? I'd like to try copying the graphics engine from 0.2 and incorporating it into 0.4. Additionally, I'd like to have a look at increasing the fps rate with integrated or laptop chipsets.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, I am responsible for all that. The financial crisis, too. Anyone here suffering from loss of hair? My bad. Bad teeth? Sorry, that was me. Let me fix all of those problems real quick before I start thinking about your screen problem again.

others: sorry. I realize this screen thing is a problem for a couple of nice people, but I don't see why I should interact with someone this unpleasant to get to information I could potentially use. Well, OK, I kind of see why I should do it, but I'm not a saint.

delinquent: the basic graphics engine is the same on 0.2 and 0.4, so there is really not that much to do; what drags 0.4 down is the prettier text and the HUD, especially the map. Other than that, sure, if you have improvements that don't turn the code into a forest of #ifdef WIN32 statements, share them.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Heheh, I'll give it a go. I'm not that much of a programmer mind, I'm more a user, if you'll excuse the pun.
I was more getting at the way the shades and colours work. I'm also quite interested in the way the incam looks, I'm thinking about modifying the entire incam experience.

Oh dear. I think that's a bit beyond me.