Server Impostering

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Server Impostering

Post by Word »

heh according to Z-Man it is a problem à la Kant - when you start a revolution or want to get rid of it don't use violence.

Can't you just talk to Obsi?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Fine, call me uninformed. Even more reason to not do anything and let the community I'm so out of touch with handle things.

No, really. I admit I never really played on a WW server, and I never really played CTF. You need to enlighten me more about the 1vs1 issue, I neither get the problem nor the nature of a non-1vs1 rule, nor why people may be upset about one if 1vs1 is such a big problem.

The thing I do understand is the No Cursing rule. You have it on your WW servers. I understand why. But did the real Old Wild West have such a rule? No, at least not in the imagination of most people. There's your dissonance. I understand how people can get upset about it. I understand how even a moderate number of kicks and bans based on foul language can lead to the impression that the WW servers are run by a madwoman trying to impose her will on the whole world. And I understand how that gave rise to Obsi's servers. You're the ones claiming moral high ground, so deal with them in a civilized fashion; trying to understand why they exist helps, I bet.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

monkey's native language is not english, and although he has made huge strides, sometimes he isn't completely clear in what he is trying to get across. i know what he meant because i've been following the situation, but to someone looking in from the outside it's not very clear. his heart was in the right place.

we have tried to talk to obsi and the whole group about the 1v1 thing. it has nothing to do with the cursing or anything like that, its over an argument they started about 1v1 in CTF. it would be like how in fort people get mad if you aren't grinding on the start b/c it messes up the whole team, both sides were debating it. the whole group, (both sides) came to an agreement earlier on tuesday and then tuesday evening obsi made these servers for absolutely no reason. he then refused to talk to me at first and then we he finally did speak, he just mocked me.

i'm not asking you to ban all of his servers, i only asked you to ban the one that was an exact clone. and i only asked AFTER i (and others) tried to talk to him first.

if you truly want to be informed and know what the whole situation is about, you can follow it on our forum www.lagtest.net in the tron talk thread. in that thread you can see that i was honestly not trying to censor anyone or ban anyone, i didn't ban anyone over this, nor did i lock the topics in tron talk over the 1v1. i really took a hand off approach and even made a new server so they could both have one with the same physics and feel.

i know you guys don't like me and i'm ok with that you don't have to like me or how i do things and i don't have to like you or how you do things either. but we do need to respect each other and what we each bring to the table in this game and community. this situation is affecting the whole community in a harmful way and needs to be addressed. that is why i came here, otherwise i let you guys have your space and i have mine. it's gotten to a point that people can't find the original ww server, which prior to this was always full and i'm getting complaints about the lag and sliding, when they aren't in my server but in his. so its giving the server a bad rep.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Meh, for comic value...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmAG8NE5WKo

C=
This one I just thought was cool... Obsi = Outlaw now? :<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4cD4tFd8M

enjoi
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Word wrote:it is possible to ban servers.
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =1&t=19554
Not really true, I asked the server owner to kill the multiple instances and he did
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

because Z-Man first said he thinks about banning it i thought it is :idea: :/
TaZ
Round Winner

Re: Server Imposteringre goin

Post by TaZ »

Geez z-man, such a drama starter :p. Someone said the ww servers were shutting down for the 900th time.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

no one said they were shutting down, only ctf since the problem can't be resolved. but at any rate i'm not going to deal with this any more, so i am deleting my account on here and walking away from this arena.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well now, settle down, pardners. I reckon all ya'll four-flushin' varmints need to gussy up in yer best bib and tucker and make yer ways on down to the Old Mill Saloon, sidle up to the barkeep, shut yer big bazoos, and have yerselves a shot'a good ole Kentucky wixey 'fore this all come a cropper over some consarn mess'a shindy and bosh.

And keep in mind, while the Old West sure weren't Bonanza, it weren't Deadwood neither. That there was the Victorian age, and even the fellers out west had a sense of polite society and being' a gentlemen. They might've said "damn" and "son of a bitch" and "shit" as emphasis to a point, but the sort of vulgarity we see these days, in particular of a sexual variety, very well might've made even the most well-worn of cowboys blush.
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

I am sorry WW. I will pray for you tonight.......

/me prays.
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

After talking with the "current" CTFers and reading threads with arguments upon arguments, I decided that I really had something to say. Something I've been wanting to say for a while, but kind of became irrelevant when I stopped playing CTF 6/7 months ago.

I don't know if you remember this destiny, but back when I played CTF, this "no 1vs1" rule was implemented. Bearing in mind that it pissed so many people off (as it is doing now) and didn't appear to last very long, I fail to understand why a tried and tested rule (which failed to be a success) was implemented again... The general concensus amongst friends I still have in the CTF community is that you don't respect them, their opinions or their community. They feel as if theyre being dictated to, which is perfectly understandable, because that's how you come across.

Previously you made a comment which seemed a little "stand-off-ish" regarding the way in which CT would be treated and the way in which Ww is being treated now. I honestly don't believe that CT would be treated any differently than you are now. The only thing is that CT wouldn't allow such problems to arise, nor would they make it as public as you have.

Ww servers, i presume, are an important aspect of the American community, just as the CT ones are to the EU side - CT servers don't have no cursing rules, yet the amount "foul language" you see there isn't of a level that would offend... If you want to make it an "us/them" thing, then you need to sit back and take a good look at the way CT run their servers. (Of course, you are entitled to run your servers the way you want, but when considering the community and the people who play Arma, you should really try to be a little more flexible.) I understand that you want a family friendly environment, but the server moderation is dogmatic and a little unreasonable. However, that is not the current problem at hand.

My point is, that you are overly moderating the game when it's not neccessary. For as long as I've played 1vs1 has always been a part of arma, especially CTF; a game mode which has the kind of settings that welcome it, such as Respawn - perhaps you would have more understanding if you played more yourself... Taking it away and banning it as you have, is doing nothing but upsetting people and, evidently, causing rifts between your clan and the rest of the community.

The reputation you are creating for yourself both on these forums and in your servers, can and does have a negative effect on your clan image. Without digging at you, I'm just suggesting that instead of trying to maintain some kind of dictatorship, that you maybe consider a more democractic standpoint; especially when you consider that this is not the first time...

Indeed it will be a shame if you do close your servers, but let me just point out that saying so and actually doing so are two different things; I only say this because it's been threatened in the past, when problems such as this have arisen and empty threats won't motivate anyone and will not help anyone either.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

The servers are not closing but changes are on the horizon. Certain servers have rules. If you do not wish to follow the rules of the server then you do not have to play there. Its not a dictatorship, there are just rules in place. You can't use your hands in soccer but you don't see players trying to get that changed, and its the same difference. Destiny is not the first person to post on these forums and not feel welcome or equal to the click that armagetronad.net has become. She simply asked a favor and it is the ppl posting here that are making this into something rediculous.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

can you do me a favor pls ban dubstep NAO
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Ok ender, that confirms all that I needed to know.
Change is on the horizon? Really... I think it's pretty clear that any changes made will be for the better of your (Ww's) mods/admins rather than the whole community.

Do me a favour and ban dubstep =) It honestly makes no difference to me how you behave because I personally don't play in your servers anymore. However friends of mine do, or at least did...

I will say this though, and without apology; If you care about your clan and it's reputation, you better fix your attitudes.

P.S.

Nobody in these forums is part of any click or gang. We don't push people out, clearly not sicne I havent been around for very long. So please don't try that on again. Stop trying to make yourselves the victims here. All of this is a result of your own actions. Never forget that.

Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

If i follow you dub, we don't have to take risk, we just have to let the thing like there are. You don"t really get it, it's not about a reputation clan, it's about a game mode. We dont allow 1v1 matches anymore because it can irrupt the game, it's as easy as that. Of course some players very attached to this and active in the server don't accept it, thats why a rule have been created. But, thats not really the thread to speak about that. Just wanted to clarify.