Server Impostering

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
destiny
Average Program

Server Impostering

Post by destiny »

Ok, I think it is very unclassy to imposter someone's server. Is there something that can be done about it on the master server?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Server Impostering

Post by dlh »

What server specifically?
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

wild west ctf
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

* Official Wild West =Capture The Flag= -- 216.245.200.227:4542
* Unsanctioned clone -- 174.133.7.90:4534 (http://www.tronners.com)

Your first and best option is to contact the other server operator. There are multiple master servers hosted by different people, so getting someone "banned" would take a lot of action. There is no technical system implemented to enforce something like this easily, and really—it hasn't happened enough to implement one.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

i did talk to him, he is doing it on purpose. and he mocked me when i asked him to change the name of it.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Ignore it; or perhaps dinstinguish yours somehow.
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

So if i want to fake a popular server, i can do it without consequences? Is Arma as weak as that? Oo With all the respect that i have for this game, the fact that anything can't be done against something like that is really surprising
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

The Wild West servers are already "distinguished" He took the exact color codes and way we type the name and he purposely made his look like ours. It's not like Wild West is just some dinky small single server, we have a large variety of servers and contribute a lot to this game. I find it hard to believe that nothing can be done to fix this.

I'm willing to bet if someone impostered the crazy tronners servers and put their color code and name on just like the original, something would happen to fix the situation. I'm just asking for the same consideration and protection that the other major servers in the game would get.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

destiny wrote:I'm willing to bet if someone impostered the crazy tronners servers and put their color code and name on just like the original, something would happen to fix the situation. I'm just asking for the same consideration and protection that the other major servers in the game would get.
Poor ww, starting with the 'them & us' again won't help..

Read dlh's answer for a second time & you'll see he didn't state that nothing could be done.
I expect you got such an answer because there's obviously some sort of personal issue of why this person's cloning the server and if z-man et al. were to hand out bans and such as first response, I'm sure there would be alot less people playing.
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

yeah hi, hoax how many people play tron regularly...50? on a good day? nobody really plays this game..and baning server...i agree that you should do it...there are almost 4 times the amount of server than the users...seriously, no one expects you to be within 10 mins of making a post to BAN a person or a server...and if you honestly thought that's what anyone was asking for then that bullshit. i have played this game for several years and i tell you if it doesn't shape up and start giving a shit, your gonna lose out...in 2 years i have seen it go from fun HR, everyone is nice to df/ctf/ctfs/FORT/sumo and those game types are bringing in a lot more users, but it doesn't seem that you have figured out that not everyone is nice and not everyone is going to contribute, but when you go and not help nor support a major contributor as wild west, then...idk...i'm at a lose for words as to "then", because that's complete bullshit if you don't help...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'm very tempted to ignore this topic for people expecting me to do something while I sleep.

Most of his servers are named "Obsi's Wild West", which is fine in my book for naming server clones, and the colour is slightly different. Talk to him again and ask him to reasonably rename the last of his servers (CTF). Or give me the contact that you do seem to have.

To reiterate, there are many reasons why we don't have an automatic server ban mechanism:
- It would be hard to implement.
- It would be hard to make non-exploitable by third parties.
- It would make censorship on our part easy; we don't believe that is a good idea, no matter how virtuous we think we are.
The key point here is that we want to be an OPEN community, not a moderated one. We do have the means to react to transgressions by server admins, but they're manual and require consent and cooperation from all master server administrators.
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

The clone one

Wild West =Capture The Flag= (5/10) lagtest.net 174.133.7.90:4534 0.2.8-sty+ct_alpha20090910 unix dedicated
Classic capture the flag
Camaro, grid kid, Hi, niewbe, Obsi.

The original

Wild West =Capture The Flag= (0/10) lagtest.net 216.245.200.227:4542 0.2.8_alpha20090321 unix dedicated
Classic capture the flag
No Online Players.

Just to notice, Obsi is always connected to his server in spec mode to attratc players.

This server is played by a lot of people each days, we made a rule About individuals matches that some players did in CTF server which is a team game.
His one has just no rules tking is allowed, like 1vs1 and some other crap.

So i ask you, can you please ban his server? Thx if you guys do
Personally, i would quit the game if nothing is tried about this because it's just not normal to let that like if nothing happened
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The more you clamour for a ban, the less likely I am to agree with one, and I'm sure the same applies to Tank and Lucifer.

See, the whole situation presents to me like this:
There are the original Wild West servers. What does the common man associate with Wild West? Right, no rules. I perfectly understand why people are unhappy with the way WW servers are moderated; their name is misleading. Obsi's servers are the manifestation of that unhappiness. The people you see playing there? They're the ones who don't like the original server moderation. They are very well aware that they're not playing on original WW servers. Banning Obsi's servers will not solve the underlying problem, which is the dissonance between the WW server name and the heavy moderation.

To take this train of thought further: The impostering servers are a revolution, and the ruling class is attempting to stop it with force. Note how you went right for a ban request without asking for negotiations first? Yeah, that's the reaction of an authoritarian regime all right. It's fine if you run your servers that way and I'll always defend your right to do so, but it's not the way the community and the master servers work.

I talked with Obsi on his server, asking him to rename the CTF server to Obsi's WW CTF. We'll see what happens next.
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

The problem Z-man is that i think that you don't really care of the communities outside of here, so you don't really know what you are talking about. Maybe that these players said you some thing about rules,ok, and maybe that you remenber some wild west threads and that you are now highly influenced by this. But finally, what do you really know of this server.
You have speaken with someone which cloned a server, i'm pretty sure that all the thing that he said was in a extreme way. You think that it's heavy moderation in ww ctf? We don't allow tking and trash cursing.
That don't mean that all people tking and trash talking are banned or kicked, it happen only when a admin is in the server, in clear, it don't happen often. Recently, we had a debate about 1vs1 matches, we ,especially I, decided to not allow these kind of fights in the server to make a better game in the future. Destiny even made a new server with 1Vs1 allowed. This is the situation.
Now, think what you want about it, just don't be influenced too much by some post or people.