CYCLE_PING_RUBBER explained

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
mrnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

CYCLE_PING_RUBBER explained

Post by mrnoodles »

I have a few questions regarding Lag and Rubber.

If someone from a country other then America and Europe has around 240-260+ ping in every server (mainly ctf) what would the ping rubber be.
Secondly, would the high ping lower the amount of reaction time that person would have therefor eliminating any advantage that person could have from the ping rubber.

My thoughts are that someone with high ping NEEDS extra rubber to account for the slower reaction time from the large ping. Im not sure how it works but i was wondering if someone who actually knows what they are talking about could explain this to me.

Cheers.
Last edited by mrnoodles on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: expert advice...please read.

Post by Z-Man »

mrnoodles wrote:If someone from a country other then America and Europe has around 240-260+ ping in every server (mainly ctf) what would the ping rubber be.
Depends on the value of CYCLE_PING_RUBBER. At the default of 3, he'd get about 0.75 more (formula is ping in seconds * CYCLE_PING_RUBBER).
mrnoodles wrote:Secondly, would the high ping lower the amount of reaction time that person would have therefor eliminating any advantage that person could have from the ping rubber.
Yes, absolutely. It's of course the other way round: CYCLE_PING_RUBBER is there to compensate the unavoidable latency disadvantage high ping players have.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Zman, could you elaborate a little more on how CYCLE_PING_RUBBER works, so that I can have a little better idea on how to adjust it?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
AI Teâm
Core Dumper

Post by AI Teâm »

Yes , I think most of the server owners don't know how exactly cycle_rubber_ping works.
mrnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by mrnoodles »

Thanks Zman, helped alot =D

The person im referring to with the high ping is actually myself. Lately there have been players new to ctf who dont know me and continuously say that i have a HUGE advantage over them, Always ends in a 1v1 and every kill i get on them is either "out pinged" or "nice ping rubber"

Good to actually have some expert advice to back my arguments up.

Thanks again.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

compguygene wrote:Zman, could you elaborate a little more on how CYCLE_PING_RUBBER works, so that I can have a little better idea on how to adjust it?
There's not much more to it than I wrote: the actual rubber people get is CYCLE_RUBBER+CYCLE_PING_RUBBER*(ping in seconds). That's it.

Well, internally, so the HUD isn't messed up with odd and changing max rubber values, the setting doesn't actually do that. What it does is increase the rubber effectiveness by a factor of

(CYCLE_RUBBER+CYCLE_PING_RUBBER*(ping in seconds))/CYCLE_RUBBER

so you get more time to sit in front of walls for the same rubber. But the net effect is the described one of more rubber.

And yes, the potential divide by zero in the effectiveness formula is handled; if CYCLE_RUBBER itself is zero, then yes, your total rubber is set to just CYCLE_PING_RUBBER*(ping in seconds).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This is a pretty good post. |Noodz| You should probably change the title of the topic to "CYCLE_PING_RUBBER explained" or something like that. This way, future searchers may find it easier.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

[quote="Z-Man"](CYCLE_RUBBER+CYCLE_PING_RUBBER*(ping in seconds))/CYCLE_RUBBER [quote]

Once someone had 9999 (99,999?) ping, I think 1 year back, in the ID DF server after having been in spectator mode for about 4 rounds. Once he came back in game, he was "invincible" from our perspective. Seemed like his rubber didn't go down at all. He would get stuck in a trap and just stay like that for a long time and was easily able to seal. He didn't even have a bad connection either. He said he was just running a lot of applications. It might have just been a rubber bug though.

So my questions are: With an extreme ping like that, can you be near invincible? Or does CYCLE_PING_RUBBER's effect cap at some point?
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: CYCLE_PING_RUBBER explained

Post by Z-Man »

No, there's no cap at the moment, so yes, with a ping high enough, you get invincible.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

I think that may have been me Tobe and I can re-create it for you if you would like. In all fairness to the 'invincible' situation, you have no idea where you are or what is going on in the server. You may as well not be playing at all at that point. Dial-up is a most intriguing way to play internet games.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thank you for the more detailed explanation, Z-man. I am going to definitely implement this to improve the experience for High Ping Players. I can now see why a value of 3 can be sensible.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, it's a bit of a balancing act. You want to make things fair for higher ping players, but after a point _ping_rubber can actually give them a perceptible advantage—and I'm not talking about those with ludicrously high ping, either, but something like the typical overseas 150-250ms. So, you don't want to set it too high, either. Some servers do.