FIXED--(CLOSED)--THANKS

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Seems like you should be admin to write to /Library/. Who changed it from ~/Library/ btw?
Don't know, buts its an easy change. And yes, you need admin access to be able to write to /Library

Developer with CVS access, please change #define VAR_DIR "/Library/Application Support/Armagetron" in src/macosx/config.h to #define VAR_DIR "~/Application Support/Armagetron"
You mean "~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron", right? My OSX home directory doesn't have "Application Support" directly, but under Library... If ~/Library/... is correct, then it's in CVS
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Jonathan wrote:Seems like you should be admin to write to /Library/. Who changed it from ~/Library/ btw?
It was always /Library in AA... The change in original Armagetron is at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/a ... 1.2&r2=1.3

I guess the fork missed a few changes...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:
nemostultae wrote:
Don't know, buts its an easy change. And yes, you need admin access to be able to write to /Library

Developer with CVS access, please change #define VAR_DIR "/Library/Application Support/Armagetron" in src/macosx/config.h to #define VAR_DIR "~/Application Support/Armagetron"
You mean "~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron", right? My OSX home directory doesn't have "Application Support" directly, but under Library... If ~/Library/... is correct, then it's in CVS
oops, yep, thats what I meant.
andrea
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by andrea »

Are you sure you're using 2.7.1 and not the old 2.7.0?
The old 2.7.0 was built with an SDL version that had problems. Then I had rebuilt it with an older version of SDL and worked fine. There was a download link on ishadmin's website.

I have downloaded 2.7.1 built by nemostultae and works like a charm on my 10.3.9 (even if it's SLOW).

Try somehow to set it to start in window mode, the old build crashed when going to full screen.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

andrea wrote:Are you sure you're using 2.7.1 and not the old 2.7.0?
I think the issue is closed, now... There was indeed a bug in the ArmageTRON Advanced code. According to the CVS, there was *never* a time in which Advanced should have worked correctly.
andrea wrote:I have downloaded 2.7.1 built by nemostultae and works like a charm on my 10.3.9 (even if it's SLOW).
I bet you're logged in as an administrator... Using an administrator account for everyday tasks is a very insecure setup.
andrea
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by andrea »

Luke-Jr wrote:I bet you're logged in as an administrator... Using an administrator account for everyday tasks is a very insecure setup.
That's correct. This is my first Mac. I might consider using a non-admin account at my next installation.

Considering that if I delete a major system file I will considering it my personal fault, what are you opinions against being an admin on a Mac? You can reply privately.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

thanks guys i found you know the /library/ thing meant i had to have it on administator so i made myself an admin and it worked fine...and i changed the ownership of the program it works great thank you all that helped me
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Um, theres nothing wrong with running as admin on your mac. admin is not root. You can't delete system files.
Patchman5000 wrote:thanks guys i found you know the /library/ thing meant i had to have it on administator so i made myself an admin and it worked fine...and i changed the ownership of the program it works great thank you all that helped me
This will be fixed in the next version. You shouldn't need to be admin to run the game.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nemostultae wrote:Um, theres nothing wrong with running as admin on your mac. admin is not root. You can't delete system files.
So what is an admin on Mac, then?

The basic insecurity of running as admin (or even power user in windows) for every day activities isn't the insecurity of deleting system files, it's the fact that programs running under your account (such as viruses and the like) can change system settings to suit themselves, install themselves, and elevate their own privileges.

Running as root is suicidal, of course. While I like the superuser concept in practice because of its relative ease, the concept is still basically flawed. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

andrea wrote:Considering that if I delete a major system file I will considering it my personal fault, what are you opinions against being an admin on a Mac? You can reply privately.
Being an administrator lets *any program you run* delete system files. This included potential viruses.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:Um, theres nothing wrong with running as admin on your mac. admin is not root. You can't delete system files.
Wanna bet? Try:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf / (NOT recommended; it will wipe your system)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:Wanna bet? Try:

Um, yea. but you're using sudo. Obviously its going to. Try rm -rf /. You'll delete all /Applications and your home folder, but /System will be untouched, so your computer will still be operational along with all other user accounts.

Its highly unlikely someone would gain access to your account within the 5 minute time-span of you using sudo.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:Wanna bet? Try:

Um, yea. but you're using sudo. Obviously its going to. Try rm -rf /. You'll delete all /Applications and your home folder, but /System will be untouched, so your computer will still be operational along with all other user accounts.

Its highly unlikely someone would gain access to your account within the 5 minute time-span of you using sudo.
They don't have to. Just leave a process running and once you use sudo... BAM!