FIXED--(CLOSED)--THANKS

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

FIXED--(CLOSED)--THANKS

Post by Patchman5000 »

im using a mac panther and getting tiger tomorrow....i can't even load 2.7.1 ill have it then i double click on icon it appears in my bar and then disappears without showing me a screen please help
Last edited by Patchman5000 on Thu May 05, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: 2.7.1 on mac osx

Post by Lucifer »

Patchman5000 wrote:im using a mac panther and getting tiger tomorrow....i can't even load 2.7.1 ill have it then i double click on icon it appears in my bar and then diddapears without showing me a screen please help
But you say it "diddappear"? *confused*

Heh. Sorry, no mac here, can't help, but thought I would kibitz.

Editing posts is lame, now my post looks dumber than it was originally. :( Good thing I quoted the original! :)
Last edited by Lucifer on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

The application appears in the dock, but then crashes without getting to the title screen? I do not know what is up, sorry. I've tested 0.2.7.1 on tiger and it runs fine. There is one thing you may try, however--

Right click on the Armagetron application that starts up and works and do "show package contents". Do show package contents for 0.2.7.1 also.

Replace the Contents > Frameworks folder in the 0.2.7.1 app with the Frameworks folder from the older Armagetron that works.

It sounds like either you are missing a critical file, or SDL is totally fubar on your system.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

ok...ill try it...btw you have tiger?!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:The application appears in the dock, but then crashes without getting to the title screen? I do not know what is up, sorry. I've tested 0.2.7.1 on tiger and it runs fine. There is one thing you may try, however--

Right click on the Armagetron application that starts up and works and do "show package contents". Do show package contents for 0.2.7.1 also.

Replace the Contents > Frameworks folder in the 0.2.7.1 app with the Frameworks folder from the older Armagetron that works.

It sounds like either you are missing a critical file, or SDL is totally fubar on your system.
Nemo, it's not SDL.
Poet took the 0.2.7.1 Frameworks and put them in 0.2.6. *IT WORKED*
Therefore, this problem is *completely unrelated* to Frameworks.
I don't know who built 0.2.6, but perhaps someone should recruit him, or at least talk with him... In addition to making a more compatible package, it's also a DMG, which is "more native" for OS X...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

tar, gzip, bzip and zip are all included. If I made it a dmg, I'd have to compress it with something....

I don't remember if I used -O2 or -O3, that could be a problem for some (O3 works fine on my system).
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

nothing works...and without 2.7.1 everyone owns me cuz they got a rubber meter and such...ive tried everything
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

ok imabout' to install OSX Tiger so ill tell you the results
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

nope it doesn't work...ill show you what it says on the console/terminal thingy just a sec
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

Last login: Fri Apr 29 19:03:54 on ttyp1
/Users/patrick/Downloads/Armagetron\ 0.2.7.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Armagetron; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
Judys-iMac:~ patrick$ /Users/patrick/Downloads/Armagetron\ 0.2.7.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Armagetron; exit
2005-04-29 19:32:50.008 Armagetron[344] can't make directory /Library/Application Support/Armagetron
Error in int SDL_main(int, char**) in ../src/tron/gArmagetron.cpp:376 :
var directory not writable or does not exist. Don't start Armagetron directly, use the wrapper script in /usr/local/bin.
logout
[Process completed]

if you know what this means try to tell me how to fix it
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Don't try to open it through the terminal. Just double click the app to open it (unless you are doing this).
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

i know a thing or two about computers (macs) if the program does not work then see what is wrong in the terminal and something is wrong (i have tried the .app ~20 times)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Patchman5000 wrote:i know a thing or two about computers (macs) if the program does not work then see what is wrong in the terminal and something is wrong (i have tried the .app ~20 times)
Seems you are missing a config file or something. heck, just drag over the whole resources folder from a version that works. I'll compile a 2.7.2 pre version for os x, which happens to be better than 2.7.1 :? This is really odd, because other people are running this release fine.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Seems like you should be admin to write to /Library/. Who changed it from ~/Library/ btw?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Jonathan wrote:Seems like you should be admin to write to /Library/. Who changed it from ~/Library/ btw?
Don't know, buts its an easy change. And yes, you need admin access to be able to write to /Library

Developer with CVS access, please change #define VAR_DIR "/Library/Application Support/Armagetron" in src/macosx/config.h to #define VAR_DIR "~/Application Support/Armagetron"