on a mac......

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Crazy
Core Dumper

on a mac......

Post by Crazy »

at school we have macs, i have arma at school too, i can access lan game and play my friends and all, but for some reason the client at school can't find the master servers, how can i get on internet game at school?

we can access safari and firefox and go online at school too, so i'm kinda sure that it's not the internet, could be, idk.

sometimes i accidentally go into internet game and it takes so long to get out of it because it's trying to find master server, i tried shift+esc to quit, that didn't work, i tried apple+q, that didn't exit either, is there a way to abort internet game quick?
possibly without exiting game too?

also i want to host(dedicated) on the mac, if i log out of the computer but it is still on, will the server stay up?do i have to portfoward the router to host dedicated server on LAN game?

last, where can i find var and other armagetron folders on mac?
and
Does mac have a character map like windows?where?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Schools often block udp traffic on their internal networks. It's used by P2P programs, and some schools have been getting sued for allowing that stuff on their networks. Since there's no way to identify if a given udp datagram is approved by the creativity cartel, they have to block all of it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Could it be that there is a proxy on your network, and that the browsers are either configured or are able to retreive the sufficient information to use them.

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: on a mac......

Post by Z-Man »

Crazy wrote:also i want to host(dedicated) on the mac, if i log out of the computer but it is still on, will the server stay up?
Depends on how you run it. On a plain terminal, no the server will be shut down. I recommend you check out the little program "screen", that helps.
Crazy wrote:do i have to portfoward the router to host dedicated server on LAN game?
Yep.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: on a mac......

Post by Jonathan »

Z-Man wrote:
Crazy wrote:do i have to portfoward the router to host dedicated server on LAN game?
Yep.
I think he meant hosting for others on the same LAN, which shouldn't need anything if the LAN isn't too complex.

Crazy: If a non-dedicated server woks network-wise, a dedicated server should too.
Loor
Average Program

Post by Loor »

last, where can i find var and other armagetron folders on mac?
and
Does mac have a character map like windows?where?
check the wiki
And for the character map, click on the flag in your menu bar, and hit character pallete.
If there is no flag, it can be turned on in the "International" Preferences.
Crazy
Core Dumper

Post by Crazy »

ya, i'm wanting to host on my school lan, for us, so do i need to port forward still?

if i do need to port forward i'll forget about dedicated and stick with host game in lan server lists.

if i do have to, then is it possible for me to save the settings from host lan game?(even after i quit hosting and game and log out, then log in again, how do i make the server settings still there)

thx all
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Crazy wrote:ya, i'm wanting to host on my school lan, for us, so do i need to port forward still?

if i do need to port forward i'll forget about dedicated and stick with host game in lan server lists.

if i do have to, then is it possible for me to save the settings from host lan game?(even after i quit hosting and game and log out, then log in again, how do i make the server settings still there)

thx all
port forwarding enables client on Internet to reach the server on the LAN.
No, you do not need it if all your players are on the LAN.
Don't try to reach the server from the "Internet Game" sub-menu in the network one. Do it for the "LAN Game".

see 1

Read about the various configurations files on the wiki.
Probably on your left hand side of the wiki's main page, in the hosting selection, go to the first link "Getting started".

Now I'd probably wouldn't wait to be at school with all my chums waiting to play to go through that and try stuff. My advise is, from the comfort of your own home, set-up a dedicated server and a client, or 2 clients with one acting as the server (if you don't have them in full screen, it is possible to have multiple client running on the same time). When both programs are on the same computer, you can play by browsing the "LAN Game", which is what you'll do at school anyway.

Play around and configure them until you reach a set-up you like, and have understood how to use the configuration files. Make a copy/archive (zip files are quite the fashion if you have access to a program to open them when you get there) of the set-up files. That is what you will bring with you at school.

Now, set-up tend to break as soon as you look at them funny. So you can have a broken up set-up when you are at school with all your chums waiting to play, breathing down your neck, or you can have it at home where you have time to deal with the issues. I'll assume you are smart and go for the second option.

Install the program you will use to host (dedicated or client) AT A DIFFERENT LOCATION on your hard-drive. Then use the copy/archive of the set-up files to configure it. ALWAYS try from the copy that you will have with you! If you can run the program and get all your changes in it, then congratulation, you have successfully configured it AND taken all the necessary files with you and have a fighting chance to get it working in a few moments when you get to school.

Yes it is a bit of work, but practice makes perfect! And I'm quite sure you'd prefer to spend time playing with your friends rather than trying to fix things up. I know I'd do.

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.