text output toggle?

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

text output toggle?

Post by sinewav »

I find myself hitting pgup/pgdn too often on chatty servers. Lately, I've been using the console command "TEXT_OUT" to toggle text output off/on during a game, but that's a lot to type repeatedly. Is there any way to store the string "TEXT_OUT 0" the same way you might store an instant chat? Then I could use two quick keystrokes like a toggle switch (k1=console prompt, k2=string). Or, is there already a feature like this? How about a instant chat string with the console prompt built in?

Thanks.
Last edited by sinewav on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

TEXT_OUT is only active in local games, it won't work in network games, IIRC. Yes, the other two can be toggled via console commands if you don't want to go to the system settings/preferences menu.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Thanks, Z-man. BTW, I was editing my post when you replied, but you partially answered my question anyway (sorry).

You said that can't use the "TEXT_OUT" in a network game, but I tried it and it works. Can you read my edited post and answer my question about storing a command?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not currently possible, but would certainly be an idea.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

How about this: is there a way to limit the number of text lines on the screen at one time? Maybe if only two lines of text were visible that would be better than turning them off completely. I would just like to see more of the game area without the encroaching text. Thanks again.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep, there is CONSOLE_ROWS and CONSOLE_ROWS_MAX.