Just wont run

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
ThaBigJunkie

Just wont run

Post by ThaBigJunkie »

I downlaoded armagetron advanced 0.2.7.0 for Mac OSX.
(armagetronad-osx-0.2.7.0.tar.gz)
This file i expanded with Stuffit Expander 6.0
doubleclicked on the Armagetron Icon in the folder i got but nothing happened.
In the readme how to install it on Mac OSX there was written something about a dmg file but i never had a dmg file of Armagetron.

Im Running on OSX 10.3

THX in advance
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

the dmg file loads opens to the side like a hard drive icon. it doesn't open a window automaticallly. you double click that new icon to open it. if you look around you'll see it.

but once you get that copied over to the folder of your choice, there is a problem with full screen mode. you can't run it. there is a fix for the full screen problem here http://armagetron.imagenook.com/index.php?p=links You'll need to put this file in the armagetron folder and replace the one that's there with it.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Version 0.2.7.0 comes in a .tar.gz, not a .dmg.

Did you really use Stuffit Expander 6?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Right, once you extract it you get a directory... That should have the Armagetron executable in it. (Armagetron.app) Double-clicking that from aqua should work.
ThaBigJunkie

Post by ThaBigJunkie »

Not sure if its really version 6 of stuffit expander but the application i got but if i double click it nothing happens. I have managed accounts so i have no administrative right for writing files in specific directories so maybe i cant open it thatcause.

Armagetron doesnt give me any error. The icons just appears in the bar dodges one time and disappears again.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I had to run it from my main admin account. It won't run as a guest, or limited rights users.
ThaBigJunkie

Post by ThaBigJunkie »

Hmm k thats probalby the matter.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Being unix based, that makes pretty good sense, since the last thing you want is normal users to be able to install systemwide software. Perhaps make the dmg(btw, i have no experience with them, but im guessing they include paths they are supposed to install to) install tron into the current users home directory, saving yourself permission errors.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

dmgs are disk images. When you open them depending on something stored inside them, the contents either get mounted (most common) or they are written to the same level as the dmg. But this has nothing to do with dmgs. 0.2.6.0 was distibuted in a dmg, but 0.2.7.0 is not.

What might be the real problem is that Armagetron writes some things at paths only accessible by admins.

Stuffit might also be the problem. Generally it doesn't cause problems, but sometimes it does. It's also very slow. Moving to the command line is almost necessary with big compressed files (that are not in Stuffit's proprietary format :().
RM-Star

Post by RM-Star »

I too just downloaded this game. (armagetronad-osx-0.2.7.0.tar.gz)
I opened up a terminal, ran
gunzip armagetronad-osx-0.2.7.0.tar.gz
Then I ran
tar -xvf armagetronad-osx-0.2.7.0.tar

Then I clicked on the Armagetron icon, and poof! Nothing happens.
I've got OS X 10.3.8, and I DO have admin rights.
Any Ideas?

UPDATE: I just tried running the game again, and it run in windowed mode (apparently it configured itself to do this). However, if I try to run Fullscreen it still crashes.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

If you scroll up you'll a link where you can download a fix for the full screen bug.