Armagetron crashes on linux

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
phantom784

Armagetron crashes on linux

Post by phantom784 »

I installed armagetron through synaptic on my Ubuntu 6.10 installation. I had previously installed the armagetron-server package on this machine. I can start the game, but whenever i'm actually about to start playing, it suddently quits on me. Any ideas?
Killer Rabbit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Killer Rabbit »

This ain't gunna be any help but the same thing happened to me yesterday on windows, i downloaded a screen recording program and then every time i go to play *bam* its closed, but then i uninstalled it :)

sorry im no help at all am i
He'll bite your head off!
Maybe if we all go in and catch him off guard...
RETREAT!

ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Do you get an error message? If so what is it.
Does it work locally or does it only crash when connecting to an internet game?

It might be that the version you're using is too old. I think it's 0.2.7 that you will get using synaptic/apt. This will be incompatible with a lot of servers these days. Try downloading a later version from here:
http://beta.armagetronad.net/
me, I'd go for the 0.3 package file.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Try launching it from the console, that'll get some output you can paste here usually. If you installed via the binary distribution, there have been library issues there too, which I can't entirely remember about.
phantom784

Post by phantom784 »

I ran it in console, got it to crash, and got this output

Code: Select all

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Error: Rage 128 timed out... exiting
The problem is on local as well as network games. Sounds like there's a problem with the graphics card. I know direct rendering is on, any other ideas?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Maybe, but I have no clue what visual 0x4b is, though. Does the error appear at program start or at crash time?

It could be a sound issue, too. Sound only starts playing when you enter a game. Could you try turning off sound in the system setup/sound settings menu?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sticky »

the 4b thing shouldn't be a problem I get the exact same thing every time I start Arma(and many other 3D apps for that matter) and it still runs fine and with 3d acceleration.