New Title Screen!? and other cool stuff

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: New Title Screen!? and other cool stuff

Post by sinewav »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not using debug recordings because I like catching the action live while flying the camera around. You're right, some of these shots don't make sense either by themselves or next to others. I'll capture some new Fortress / Sumo footage without lag meters (I had doubts about that too) and see if I can grab a few more shots of gameplay without resorting to ridiculous camera work.
Z-Man wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57 pmAnd maybe a different cut transition helps.
This afternoon I made a custom transition based off the cycle trail decal, basically a horizontal wipe with a lighting bolt as the leading edge. Looks kinda neat. It's subtle, but gets the point across.

I feel like we're getting close! Probably just 20 seconds of new footage and we are good to go. Hopefully I'll have something else to look at by the end of the weekend.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Try This One

I like it better. Changes:
  • Took out the shot of the green cycle with weird camera angle and rearranged the clips in that segment.
  • Captured new Fortress & Sumo footage this morning without lab-meters
  • Added a shot of the Server Browser since it was pretty full on Ladle day
  • Dropped in some high-energy music I wrote that no one will hear
Also, I finally have the video quality settings figured out. You can watch the YouTube link above in FullHD.

Unrelated: There are credible rumors that a third Tron movie is in pre-production; script approved, director sought. Maybe there will be an Armagetron resurgence in 2022? I plan to be around for it either way!
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

It's really, really good. I'm happy with how you represented fortress - someone like me would be intrigued enough by it to feel like the game is worth a try.

I don't think the music is a perfect fit. It's too 'in your face'. Wish I could be more constructive on that.

My name is in it (at the server list scene) and what can I say, I love that.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes! This kicks ass in all the right ways.

Two minor nitpicks left.
In the first sequence, you cut away a fraction of a second after the red cycles come suddenly into view. I suppose that's because the cycle you're controlling dies of neglect a split second later :) If the goal there is to show two cycles cruising down the grid, you should just cut a split second earlier. If you want to show the outcome of an 4x2 game of chicken, let all of them be driven by the AI, they survive most of the time. Increase the last number on every line of aiplayers.cfg (sttch) if you want to prevent them turning back to accelerate early.

One of the text screens says "Game Types & Team Play". I'm not sure what "Game Types" means here. It's an odd combination. Team Play is something we have as an option, it's in singular form. "Game Types" is plural. And while we effectively have multiple game types, technically, it's the maps and configurations that make them. The game itself will usually think it's playing Last Man Standing.
I'd simply get rid of it, I'm unable to come up with a short replacement. "Team Play" alone or maybe "Team vs Team" suffices at that point.

And one more request: When all is done, can you also cut a version that shows a regular Armagetron Advanced logo instead of Retrocycles in the end? No logo at all is fine, too. We could use that for the regular home page and itch.io.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

How about "Game Types With Team Play". It goes on to show a team based game type anyways, so that fits. It still implies single player modes.

I too reacted kind of like Z-Man at the awkward wording. I think the smaller the adjustment to fix it, the better. Because the text overall is really on point.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:42 pmMy name is in it (at the server list scene) and what can I say, I love that.
You're one of the stars in this game!
Z-Man wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 amTwo minor nitpicks left.
You're basically pointing out all the things I didn't really like. I removed the Red & Yelo cycles and replaced it with a better interaction that includes three cycles! One of them is purple. Who doesn't love purple? I also changed the text to "Team vs Team." It's hard to pin down the best language in gaming since PvP, deathmatch, last-man-standing, anarchy, etc... all basically of describe the same thing. We could even add co-op and still be technically correct.

Retrocycles Trailer v4

If you're happy with this I'll make one with the Armagetron Advanced logo and put them both on my server for you to download/upload to Steam/Itch.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:28 am You're basically pointing out all the things I didn't really like. I removed the Red & Yelo cycles and replaced it with a better interaction that includes three cycles! One of them is purple. Who doesn't love purple?
Heh, that's an improvement, too, and a big one, but I was referring to the very very first sequence, timecode just before the cut (sorry, should have been more explicit):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ziOsS ... utu.be&t=4
The red cycles come in from behind, yellow ones just barely from the right, then it cuts to the "Online Multiplayer" slide. They're visible just long enough to be noticed, almost like a jump scare. Maybe that's just me. If you're happy, I'm happy too.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 am...but I was referring to the very very first sequence...
Oh right, I wasn't too sure about that either. I got rid of it since it doesn't add anything important.

Here is the updated sequence with the Armagetron Advanced logotype. I didn't do any fancy animation, just a fade in. I'll also give you a version without any branding.

With AA Logo

I think we're pretty much done. This afternoon I'll put these on a server for you to download and PM the URL.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

And the page is live:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1306180/Retrocycles/

TODO for everybody with a Steam account: Go there and put it on your wishlist! Wishlists are Valve's best measure to estimate interest and have high influence on how well the game is promoted come launch day (22nd of July).

I'll spam this on all communication channels I can think of.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:32 pmGo there and put it on your wishlist!
The page looks great. It's so weird seeing this game on Steam. I'm pretty sure I have a Steam account, I'll add it.