New icon file

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I added the ones iceman uploaded, figuring those were ed's. I've got no preference for the icon either, but since we haven't released a version with the icon ed last made, I went with that. No biggee.

Here's the catch. :) There's no unified way to handle icons right now. So each platform just grabs whatever they get, whenever they get it, from wherever they can. I'd like to have each platform's icons stored in the armagetronad module, but the source will be in armagetronad_build. I'll add a make target to armagetronad_build to take the source of the icons and copy/convert/whatever them to the right places in the armagetronad module. Are there any objections to this? Or perhaps a better way to handle it? :) I wouldn't mind having the source of the icons in the armagetronad module, but the icons are also needed for some of the packages that are handled by armagetronad_build, which is my reasoning behind putting the sources there.

The make target to build icons will depend on this neat little program, and I'll see if there's packages for it. I seem to recall having to download the source, build, and install it. It's small enough that if there aren't packages for it, I could reasonably stick it in armagetronad_build as a tool.

Edit: No Kubuntu package for png2ico, and I already know there's no Mandriva package. Here's the webpage I always get it from:

http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico/

Apparently it runs in windows too. Didn't know that.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

IMO the 'flat' icon is ugly.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Gentoo doesn't have an ebuild for it either, but the plan sounds good. I'd integrate the icon building into "make zipsource", it calls scripts/winsrc. The sources are under $WINDIR there.

What is the plan for Windows CVS users and developers? Will a stub icon file be in CVS?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

THe idea is that in the armagetron module, we'll store the icons that will be put in the distribution and installed and stuff. So they won't need anything special, the icons will already be there. So it'll be some generated files in cvs, a bit contrary to what we normally do, but icons are something of a special case. If it were possible to integrate building the icons into the build systems on the various other platforms, I'd be happy to do that instead. :)

Anyway, later on, when we change the icon in armagetronad_build, someone should run the conversion that changes the icons in the armagetronad module and then commit the changes.

I'm open to better ideas, of course. :) We could just put the icon sources in the armagetronad module and make armagetronad_build retrieve them from there. That actually sounds better.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
edd
Core Dumper

the icons posted

Post by edd »

the icons icman posted are my original ones, he kindly resized them, and the ones I posted were from the same scene, just rendered in flat colours, however I think I prefere the originals now.

Edd
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

yeah I took edd's smooth shaded large icon, duplicated it 5 times and resized each to icon size then applied sharpen to remove the blur caused by resizing before saving them
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

For really slowly changing files, I guess it's OK to put them into CVS if they are autogenerated by an expensive process. Expensive means here that the program doing it is not easy to get. I've come accustomed to just do "emerge bla", everything not covered by that probably won't find a way onto my box :)

The icon sources definitely belong into the main module; they'll be shared by the different platform builds.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

z-man wrote:I've come accustomed to just do "emerge bla", everything not covered by that probably won't find a way onto my box :)
Too bad that in portage armagetronad only exists in crappy old version 2.7.1... Would be nice if the rc's were there but marked ~x86 ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, Luke wanted to get updated ebuilds out there, but I guess now he's too busy with real life.