TR.U.E. Moviepack (Tron Ultimate Experience)

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

TR.U.E. Moviepack (Tron Ultimate Experience)

Post by sinewav »

We have yet to have a true, movie accurate moviepack for Armagetron. There have been some close copies: edd wrapped a movie inspired theme around his awesome cycle models, biobern came a little closer with his attempt (but the rim was incomplete and the colors off), and ColdCutz came the closest with an almost exact copy -- but never released the files!

Well, the wait is finally over. I present to you the TRON Ultimate Experience (TR.U.E.) Moviepack. Unfortunately, the files are so big I'll have to split them up in this thread. But, you can get the whole thing as one 6MB download, here, for a limited time.

The rim textures are massive and noisy, just how I like them (1.3MB!). If people have a hard time with these large textures, I'll make some low-resolution ones. They will be posted in below. Keep in mind the ultimate experience involves cycle models and sounds not in this thread. I'll start with the smaller files here, plus a bonus for you designers: the vector drawing I used to make this (created with Inkscape). The following posts will contain the rim textures.

edd's cycle
glTron sounds

The following is me rambling about art, so ignore this if you just came for the moviepack. The textures are so wide you can't fit them all on a 500x500 grid, so use a minimum of size factor 1. I spent a lot of time getting the colors right. I took dozens of screenshots of the movie, then took an average of the colors in different scenes since there is considerable variance in brightness and temperature. After I locked down the base colors, I pushed them around until the contrast between the trails (brighter), floor and rim felt good. It is not good enough to be accurate, but it must also be playable. There movie hides a good 25%-30% of the grid from the camera, so this is an interpretation and not to scale. I, along with ColdCutz above, were able to recreate part of the rim wall that is obscured in the movie. While he put this section in his unreleased moviepack, I opted to eliminate it and took liberties with the size and spacing of other elements -- a compromise to make the moviepack more workable for me.
Attachments
true-moviepack-no-walls-3.zip
Essential textures and settings!
(253.79 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
screenshot.png
vector-drawings.zip
Vector drawings, non-essential bonus.
(10.12 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Last edited by sinewav on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: TR.U.E. Moviepack (Tron Ultimate Experience)

Post by sinewav »

Rim Wall A and B. Save them individually. Sorry.
Attachments
rim_wall_a.png
rim_wall_b.png
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Rim Wall C and D. Save them individually. Sorry.
Attachments
rim_wall_c.png
rim_wall_d.png
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Screenshot looks very nice. Well done. (:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Works in Fortress too.
Attachments
true-fortress.png
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

First off, I like it alot!

However, I think the grid squares are slightly closer together than normal yes? Makes the floor blur just ahead of you in a funny way. Just my opinion.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Bytes wrote:However, I think the grid squares are slightly closer together than normal yes? Makes the floor blur just ahead of you in a funny way. Just my opinion.
No. The squares are twice as wide as normal. They are this size, relative to the cycle, because that's about how wide the grid tiles are in the movie.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Is there a way to move the centre point of the cycle forward a little? At the moment the front wheel intersects the lagometer, which can be confusing.
Awesome work btw, I'm not using the moviepack atm but the sounds are class.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote:Is there a way to move the centre point of the cycle forward a little?
You would need to open it in a 3D editor that supports the ASE fortmat, then nudge the cycle. You might even be able to do this in a text editor, but I have no idea how. Not my model (not my sounds either).
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'd rather check the old threads and see if you find one that fits. (there's some stuff that should help you, if you scroll down to the very bottom. Props to sine for the c4d tool).

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =42&t=1679

bonus:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... &hilit=ase

(maybe it's just me, but Arma used to have more regular mod-producers in retrospective)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:(maybe it's just me, but Arma used to have more regular mod-producers in retrospective)
Not just you, there has not been much creative expression lately. Maybe it's just been exhausted? I don't know.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:
Word wrote:(maybe it's just me, but Arma used to have more regular mod-producers in retrospective)
Not just you, there has not been much creative expression lately. Maybe it's just been exhausted? I don't know.
Yeah, how about making another competition for a new default cycle, for 0.5? :P

Since this wouldn't require long term commitment, we could use that to advertise the game on some 3d forums. Perhaps that even gets more players.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

There is another Tron movie coming out. I'm sure people will start creating when the promotional material starts circulating.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

delinquent wrote:Is there a way to move the centre point of the cycle forward a little? At the moment the front wheel intersects the lagometer, which can be confusing.
Yeah, that's something I've commented on before. I'd say just use the older moviepack cycle.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Aye, I just like the aesthetic of the new one.
On a side note, is it animated? I can't tell if the wheels move or not.