Different wall picture for each side?

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
xtrapoint
Average Program

Different wall picture for each side?

Post by xtrapoint »

I was just wondering if there was anyway to have a movie pack that had a different png for each wall? If not can it be added?
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--The less people speak of their greatness, the more we think of it.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
--It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.
--You can't have everything in the world, where would you put it?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Different wall picture for each side?

Post by sinewav »

Yes. But, it's a teeny bit complicated. The four images will follow each other in order, then wrap around and start again when there is more rim wall to fill. If the grid changes size, the textures will either wrap or get cut off.

Now, since the textures don't automatically stretch to fill the entire side of one wall, you'll have to stretch them manually. The two settings:

MOVIEPACK_RIM_WALL_STRETCH_X
MOVIEPACK_RIM_WALL_STRETCH_Y

...decide how much space the wall will use. So, an arena size of 0 means the the values above should be set to 500. But, I can't tell you and values for the other sizes because I'm too lazy to figure it out. I'm sure someone else knows the math and they'll be along in a second with the answer.
Last edited by sinewav on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

So when I go into textures should i name every .png rim_wall.png, then it will wrap around?
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

O wait scratch that last comment I got it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Just to be sure you got it: You'll want to use the moviepack, not the textures. So that would be rim_wall_[a,b,c,d,].png.

And of course, you'll want to choose images that look good stretched, because they're really gonna be stretched. Well, if you can figure the math maybe you could make the source texture squeezed horizontally so that the aspect ratio will be correct when it gets stretched. But then you'd have to deal with resolution and interpolation. And, of course, each server is going to be different. So.