Show Rubber of other Cycles

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Core Dumper

Show Rubber of other Cycles

Post by 0000 »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I have heard people talk about setting up their client so that it shows a numerical value of the opponent's rubber used above their cycle, but I can't find anything that explains how it is done. Care to share?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Show Rubber of other Cycles

Post by kyle »

try looking on the wiki?
You also will need a trunk based client to use them (0.3 or Armagetronad Experimental)
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Yes, forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but in that tutorial, the "possible values" to show only include the rubber of the player currently being watched, not the rubber of the other players. Also, I did try all of those cockpits listed, and none of them showed the rubber of the other players. Am I missing something?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

it is but kind of hidden (and i did not realize that when I posted the links)

Code: Select all

COCKPIT_FILE wrtlprnft/testfile-0.0.3.aacockpit.xml
you must have 0.3.1 or newer to use
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

It's the viewport="cycle" code in there which makes it appear above other cycles, and referring to rubber values from these players
Without that, it will be on your viewport, and referring to your cycle (e.g. the "normal" rubber bar).
(think of the viewport="cycle" thing as a little screen put above every other cycle that watches that particular cycle)

and: there is even more info available than just "their rubber" ;)

So: if you want a rubber bar above them, use stuff similar to the testfile or, for the lazy, as an example the simple thin horizontal bars I use:

Code: Select all

<BarGauge viewport="cycle" toggle="3"> <!-- freely adapted from wrtlprnft's test cockpit. Shows enemies' rubber and brakes above their cycles -->
   <DataSet>
    <AtomicData field="source" source="player_rubber"/>
    <AtomicData field="minimum" source="0"/>
    <AtomicData field="maximum" source="cycle_rubber"/>
   </DataSet>
   <Position x="0" y=".03"/>
   <Size height=".02" width=".045"/>
   <ShowCurrent value="false"/>
   <ShowMaximum value="false"/>
   <ShowMinimum value="false"/>
   <Caption location="off">
    <Text value="Rubber"/>
   </Caption>
			<Background>
    <Gradient orientation="value">
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".05" at="0."/>
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".1" at=".3"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="1." alpha=".2" at=".4"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="1." alpha=".2" at="1."/>
    </Gradient>
   </Background>
   <Foreground>
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at="0."/>
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".3"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".6"/>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".8"/>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".4" at="1."/>
    </Gradient>
   </Foreground>
  </BarGauge>
  <BarGauge viewport="cycle" toggle="3">
   <DataSet>
    <AtomicData field="source" source="player_brakes"/>
    <AtomicData field="minimum" source="0"/>
    <AtomicData field="maximum" source="1"/>
   </DataSet>
   <Position x="0" y=".05"/>
   <Size height=".02" width=".045"/>
   <ShowCurrent value="false"/>
   <ShowMaximum value="false"/>
   <ShowMinimum value="false"/>
   <Caption location="off">
    <Text value="Brakes"/>
   </Caption>
   <Background>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".2" at="0."/>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".2" at=".1"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="1." alpha=".1" at=".2"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="1." alpha=".1" at="1."/>
    </Gradient>
   </Background>
   <Foreground>
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at="1."/>
     <Color r="0." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".7"/>
     <Color r="1." g="1." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".4"/>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".4" at=".2"/>
     <Color r="1." g="0." b="0." alpha=".4" at="0."/>
    </Gradient>
   </Foreground>
  </BarGauge>
which is also less space-consuming than wrtl's. Copy-Paste this if you want ;)
If you only want the numerical value, use Labels with the viewport="cycle" bit, it should also work there.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

And, again, I must object strongly to this capability ever becoming official. It's bad enough it's possible at all with an experimental version.
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Thanks for the help! @Pytho, agreed, but with other pkayers using this in conpetitive play, isn't it already official to some extent?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

0000 wrote:Thanks for the help! @Pytho, agreed, but with other pkayers using this in conpetitive play, isn't it already official to some extent?
No. And I don't think it's use is as widespread as you think. One of the reasons is because many people who have tried it find that's it's practically useless information. Rubber is highly variable and knowing the value of your enemy's rubber meter doesn't tell you how efficient his rubber is compared to yours, or if he will even use any of it -- or if there is a lag-spike around the corner that will take you both out of the game.

Try it out if you want. Most people I talk to just think it adds to clutter on the screen. I can't think of a single good player who is better because of it.
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

In my opinion i think i agree with sine with this . Its more enjoying not to know your enemies rubber which adds a challenge of assumptions whether how much rubber is left or how much rubber have been used of your opponent.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

matchbox53 wrote:In my opinion i think i agree with sine with this . Its more enjoying not to know your enemies rubber which adds a challenge of assumptions whether how much rubber is left or how much rubber have been used of your opponent.
Yea, makes attacking less challenging, and it's kinda like cheating. Sam counts for the feature to see the difference between the next wall and your cycle. Then you can totally see if you're donna outdig your enemy or not. Like, playing Call of Duty with an aimbot. It's just not cool or challenging anymore.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's my personal general policy to let clients cheat as much as they can get away with and make it the server's responsibility to avoid that. In this case, the problem would be the client knowing about rubber values at all, which is only required for proper display and prediction if there is wall shrink present. If there isn't, the new default behavior will be to not sync rubber values for other cycles, only your own. The enemy rubber display will then just display 0 rubber all of the time. Server admins can revert to the old full sync or go one step further and disable rubber sync completely, which then makes the regular rubber meter useless as well.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

theroze wrote:Sam counts for the feature to see the difference between the next wall and your cycle. Then you can totally see if you're donna outdig your enemy or not.
No, you can't. You just see how deep you really digged. I used that once as a way to find out how deep different grinds at fort start and center go :)
And knowing one certain player's rubber would only need a teammate telling you. Some do ;)
sinewav wrote:Try it out if you want. Most people I talk to just think it adds to clutter on the screen. I can't think of a single good player who is better because of it.
On fortress it's good for knowing if the sweeper digs the wall hard enough. It's really not useful for anything else (as far as i know).
Z-Man wrote:It's my personal general policy to let clients cheat as much as they can get away with and make it the server's responsibility to avoid that.
There are some server settings that can already forbid some of that. I don't know if the viewport="cycle" thing can be forbidden with that, if not, there could indeed be a setting for it which stops that "cheating". Feature request, Phyto? :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, I didn't know that. Seems it can only be used to disable rubber gauges entirely. And since it relies on client cooperation, it's not exactly in accordance with my policy :) Still, useful for the cases where rubber syncing cannot be disabled.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

Hey sorry to bump an old topic but I was wondering if this still works on 0.4, I tried to apply this to my cockpit file but always got issues even when editing it a bit to match how I thought it should look like. :P

Scratch that just loaded wrtlprnft-0.0.1.aacockpit.xml's cockpit and it seemed to be working well just wanted to know if this could be implemented in the standard cockpit file so you have both rubber gauges.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Seeing other peoples rubber isnt very useful, since due to lag its complete lies. You can pretty much tell how much rubber they have left from how they grind.

Its about as useful as the lag diamond, which is to say, not at all.