chainlink dir_wall

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

chainlink dir_wall

Post by 17na »

this is the result of me associating a chainlink fence with a lightcycle wall.this is pretty cool for an hour of work in paint.net feel free to try it out (I would have a few screenshots but my screenshot tools seem to freak arma out for some reason)
Attachments
dir_wall(17-NA's energy fence).png
dir_wall(17-NA's energy fence).png (81.74 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: chainlink dir_wall

Post by Phytotron »

Er, you know, the game has its own built-in screenshot capability.

Suggestions:

1) You might want to redo the dimensions on that. Game stretches it horizontally [see below]. Most dir_wall's you'll see for the default textures folder are square, but that's just convention. Game, I believe, prefers a 1:2 H:W ratio for the basic textures dir_wall, if you want to retain your visual dimensions. (Moviepack apparently prefers a 1:8 ratio.)

2) I'd get rid of the gradient aspect of the alpha channel, myself.
Attachments
screenshot_1.png
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Phytotron wrote:(Moviepack apparently prefers a 1:8 ratio.)
That'd be MOVIEPACK_WALL_STRETCH. There doesn't appear to be a setting for non-moviepack walls, so for those you'll have to fit yourself in there instead of making it fit you. The easiest thing to do in this case is to simply add a copy of the texture at its side, making it 512x256.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, by gummit, I should have known that setting. Damn. How could I overlook it? There it is, right there in the moviepack's settings.cfg.

There are, however, two different description/help lines given for it. One, in settings.cfg, reads "relative length of wall segments." That's perhaps why I never took note of it; I might've assumed it applied to rim walls rather than cycle walls, and either didn't know or care what it meant, specifically, since I haven't bothered with atypical rim_wall dimensions.

The second description, which displays in the console help is somewhat odd: "The distance of the vertical lines on the moviepack walls." Rather dumbed down and vague considering how many other settings' help lines can be to varying degrees esoteric and technical, sometimes overly so.

Anyhoo, with 4 being the apparent default value for that setting (producing the 1:8 ratio), if someone wanted to have a wall that differed from that dimension, one would have to always include a moviepack settings.cfg with that setting, and/or instruct people to change it themselves manually. So, if one is to create and distribute a standalone dir_wall for the moviepack, best to keep it at that 1:8 ratio, I reckon.

Wiki, anyone?
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Post by 17na »

I only worked for like 5 mniutes on it but thankfully I still got the two plane version saved