Smooth Glass Mirrored floor (screenshot and textures)

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
yervitt

Smooth Glass Mirrored floor (screenshot and textures)

Post by yervitt »

DISCLAIMER: i do not claim ownership for any textures except for the floor, i just put textures that i find and like into a movie pack so i can have them all in one place and turn them off if i want to (thanks to Lackadaisical for the cycle, i love it), Whoever owns the walls, let me know and i will give you credit.

So i was messing with some floor textures in photoshop (i started with the default) and when i put them into my moviepack the floor was like a smooth glass mirror. I was hoping to make the gridlines on the floor a little smaller but this was an unintended side effect. i will up load the floor textures if anyone wants them.

If they don't work for you, you're out of luck because i have no idea what the hell i did myself.

tell me what you think

Most recent edit: I have uploaded the entire movie pack from the screen shot below if anyone wants it.
Attachments
moviepack.zip
this is the whole movie pack that appears in the screenshot below. The walls are from the original armagetron moviepack, the cycle is Lackadaisical's, and the floors are my own.
(270.69 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Archive 2.zip
floors
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
screenshot
screenshot
Last edited by yervitt on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Legit (accidental) Mirrored floor (screenshot and textures)

Post by Clutch »

that is sexy period.
Boxed
yervitt

Re: Legit (accidental) Mirrored floor (screenshot and textures)

Post by yervitt »

thanks for your input, by fiddling around some more i am hoping to to make it just a tiny bit less reflective. since i don't know what i did to get it to where it is it may just be a losing battle
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Smooth Glass Mirrored floor (screenshot and textures)

Post by Tank Program »

I have to say... that looks amazing.

*downloads*
yervitt

Post by yervitt »

thanks Tank, if the admins like it i must have done something right =P
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Wow. Had to look at the Bikes twice, I first thought these are the new Bikes from Tron Legacy. :P Anyway, well done!
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

:star: Glad you like the cycle!

About the reflectiveness: did you try fiddling around with the opacity/transparency of the floor textures? I recall reading somewhere that the mirrored floor is actually just the whole world rendered upside down, so it would depend on the transparency of the floor how much you would see of this mirrored world (='reflectiveness').

edit: I just checked, and there is a setting in armagetron called 'FLOOR_MIRROR_INT' which you might want to try.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lackadaisical wrote:I recall reading somewhere that the mirrored floor is actually just the whole world rendered upside down, so it would depend on the transparency of the floor how much you would see of this mirrored world (='reflectiveness').
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... f=4&t=2801

It looks cool yervitt. I personally find reflections a bit distracting, so when I do use them I do so subtly. Good choice of textures though. And yes those bikes are pretty awesome Lack.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Warning: Do not use reflection in ctf =/ The flag looks 2x bigger and alot closer to you, which can lead to embarassing mistakes >.>
Boxed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

BoxeD wrote:Warning: Do not use reflection in ctf =/ The flag looks 2x bigger and alot closer to you, which can lead to embarassing mistakes >.>
:P More embarrassing that simply being caught in a CTF server?
yervitt

Post by yervitt »

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, but like i said, the ONLY THING i did was change the canvas size in photoshop. I did not change anything with the console. I don't know how i made it work. I would like to know if anyone else got it to work in their moviepack or if it is just me. Also more credit: The cycle wall is iceman's
Last edited by yervitt on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

It's the floor_a and floor_b that make it happen. By widening them (the increase in canvas size) while retaining the transparent alpha layer, you added translucency to the floor, which makes the gridlines less prominent and the reflection partial.

Doesn't matter what floor.png is used, as the effect only occurs with Dual Texture Plane + Alpha Blending (+ mirroring, of course).

(That's the basic, superficial explanation; I can't get any more technical.)

As to making the gridlines smaller (I assume you mean thinner), there is unfortunately no way to do that with the textures, as the game will automatically thicken even a 1-pixel-wide line. This becomes more evident as you increase the GRID_SIZE[_MOVIEPACK]. Of course, decreasing the grid size will make the lines thinner, but it also means smaller grid squares and more lines.

The only way to have 1-pixel-wide gridlines with a moderately size grid is by using "Just Grid," but that sucks because it doesn't get spread the entirety of the floor (unless you make the grid size bigger).
yervitt

Post by yervitt »

Phytotron wrote:It's the floor_a and floor_b that make it happen. By widening them (the increase in canvas size) while retaining the transparent alpha layer, you added translucency to the floor, which makes the gridlines less prominent and the reflection partial.
What he said, thats what I did. Thanks for the explanation btw, I knew I did something neat, but I did not know why what I did did what it did...wait what? :?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Check that. There actually is a way to make thinner grid lines. What you have to do is make a huge floor.png on which you've drawn your own grid lines. I'm saying at least 1024x1024, possibly larger. Depends on how you want your grid spaced and how thin you want the lines. Draw white lines on a black background and you can use MOVIEPACK_FLOOR_[RED/GREEN/BLUE] to color the lines as you like.

I plan to include just such a texture in an upcoming moviepack.

It may hurt framerate, though.
Lanfear
Average Program

Post by Lanfear »

Phytotron wrote:It may hurt framerate, though.
That's the only reason I don't download moviepacks. Framerate. It's already bad enough as it is for me. :/