TRON: The Original Arcade Classic (full moviepack)

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

TRON: The Original Arcade Classic (full moviepack)

Post by sinewav »

This is a moviepack with a local game inside it. It's based on the original arcade classic "TRON". The archive contains textures, sounds (taken from a MAME ROM), the rectangular map, and custom AI (aiplayers.cfg). I'm very pleased with the outcome.

There is also a server up with these settings: Adventures of TRON - Original Arcade.

I want to express my deep thanks to Phytotron who came up with the idea and was an invaluable asset to this project. We spent a lot of time with the settings trying to come up with something that "felt" like the original arcade game; since it's not possible to reproduce it exactly. But what we have here is quite fun.

Enjoy.
Attachments
Tron Arcade.zip
updated settings: 19 Dec 09
(600.51 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
coin-op_1.png
Last edited by sinewav on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
teen
Round Winner

Re: TRON: The Original Arcade Classic (full moviepack)

Post by teen »

awsome... bout to try it out

whats the resource?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

teen wrote:whats the resource?
Arma will download the map, so you don't need to put it anywhere. You can replace the AI file in your config directory with the optional one included (after you back up your original). The two moviepack/moviesounds folders just go in your Arma directory.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

nice its very nice...

ty sine, loven
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

****** awsome actually
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Now we need a cycle model that looks the same from above as the arcade ones. Then it'll be truly complete!

Oh yeah, and AI that understand brake/boost. :?
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

the bots are really stupid...

i even increased the IQ to 100000000
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

teen wrote:the bots are really stupid...
They appear to be stupid in this mod, but this is because they are in a strange environment. They weren't designed to be in that configuration and space. Really, this "arcade version" is just a novelty anyway.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Very Well Done, and i love the design in Sumo Servers.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

dont get me wrong i love it. I have been playing local games alot more than network games.

i just thought maybe there was a possibility to make them harder to die
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

teen wrote:i just thought maybe there was a possibility to make them harder to die
Yeah there is, but just slightly. I went ahead and tweaked the map a little to give the bots more "breathing room". I also added a setting to make it slightly harder to camp with the brake (not that you would be camping with the brake).

:star: If anything, it's still kind of a clever moviepack just for the graphics and sounds. Thanks for the feedback man.
Attachments
settings.zip
replacement files.
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
tronArcade1.PNG
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:D Double Post!

I thought I'd add a YouTube clip for those who aren't familiar with the original TRON game. The video shows the lightcycle part of Level 5. Notice that while the bots are extremely fast and completely homicidal, their attack is thwarted with the simplest of patterns; and the patterns work every time (for their respective level). So from the right perspective you can see how Armagetron's bots are in some ways superior to other, similar game AI. It has more to do with the environment and the intentions of the game developer than anything else. Designing AI is like any creative activity.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

A couple alternative cycle walls. One is entirely transparent, and the other is entirely black. Why? Side walls. Ordinarily, when viewing from overhead cam, you'll see the sides of cycle walls, which isn't the case in the arcade game. This way, you won't see the sides. "But how will I see the walls?" Arma automatically puts a line in your color along the top edge of the wall, regardless of the dir_wall texture. This way, when viewing from overhead you'll see no side-walls, just the top edge. Thusly, mimicking the arcade game.

Why the two different ones? If you play with a floor on, then use the transparent one, indicated by the title "dir_wall(alpha).png," and turn on alpha blending. If you don't enable alpha blending, you'll have a flat colored wall.

If you play with no floor, and don't like the framerate hit from both the floor and alpha blending, then use the one marked "dir_wall(NOalpha).png." That's the black one, which of course, will vanish against a black floor. It also creates a thicker top edge line, which looks better. An example (not taken in the Original Arcade server, as it's not up at the moment :cry: ):
screenshot_6.png
Cycle is just a copy&paste from a TRON screenshot.
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Note: the textures themselves are 1x1px since there's nothing to them.

Of course, be sure to delete the part with the parentheses when inserting it into the moviepack folder.
ArcadeWalls.tar.bz2
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:) Brilliant idea. That always bothered me.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I forgot how cool this was with the moviepack so I made a video. I wish I could get a good sample of the explosion from the original. Wasn't able to when I made this pack. Maybe I'll try again later.

Tron Classic Arcade Mod for ArmagetronAd