Arrowed wall textures

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Arrowed wall textures

Post by Phytotron »

Picking up from here:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 10#p212210
sinewav wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Anyway, not to hijack, but here's the same done with the textures cycle:
:) Digging the cycle_wheel and dir_wall. Share?
They're just the Photoshop "custom shape tool" with a transparent background. All kinds of super-easy possibilities for one to make his own textures using those.

Looks like I might've used a "glass button" style thing on the dir_wall; could also be layer style>blending options>bevel and emboss. There are a few ways to achieve that look; can't remember exactly. The screenshots were made with alpha blending enabled, which I find impractical for gameplay, but you'll still get a striped wall with it off.

***EDIT: I just noticed the tip of the front arrow is cut off. Doh. That's because the effect was applied after I put down the arrow, the tip of which I had touching the very edge. So that part of the effect got cut off. I'll redo it later and swap the file in this post.***

The 'radioactive' wheel is just plain stamped.
Attachments
cycle_wheel(radioactive).png
cycle_wheel(radioactive).png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
dir_wall(arrows).png
dir_wall(arrows).png (6 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Arrowed wall textures

Post by Phytotron »

It occurred to me that's reminiscent of those "turn ahead!" arrows one sees on racetracks and in racing games, such as those seen here (scroll down a bit). So, I make something more like that, eh. This will only work with alpha blending enabled. Turned off, it'll just be flat color. I'll transpose this into a moviepack wall later.

The rim wall was stolen and quickly patched together from a GLTron Artpack, called "x-night," which can be found here: http://homepage.mac.com/nowall/

I'll go ahead and attach the floor, too, although looking at it I should've scaled down the size of the grain in the road. Oh well. Might not show much if it were, anyway. Floor settings used are:

Code: Select all

grid_size 3
floor_red .4
floor_green .4
floor_blue .3
Attachments
Speed4Weaks.jpg
dir_wall(glowing_arrow).png
dir_wall(glowing_arrow).png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
floor(street).png
floor(street).png (137.06 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

This is fitting, methinks.
Attachments
floor(DigitalStreet).png
floor(DigitalStreet).png (15.87 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:The rim wall was stolen and quickly patched together from a GLTron Artpack, called "x-night,"...
I'm impressed with what you are able to do with those glTron textures, since the resolution is so low on them. "x-night" makes a much better artpack than moviepack having and alpha channel and such, but still a good feel for Arma.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Don't be impressed. The only reason it doesn't look so low-res is because the screenshots are from a distance. Closer-up they're all blurred out. Only thing I did was cut out a 1/4 section from the 'gltron_wall' image, then paste that on top of the 'skybox' image. I had to cut out the section because it's the textures folder, which only uses one wall repeated, obviously. If I do a conversion for a moviepack, then I'll divide the 'gltron_wall' into fourths, and put the skyboxes beneath them, where relevant. Each one is a little different depending on how the original was put together.

But, point is, I didn't do anything to make the resolution look better. It's just an optical delusion because of the distance. What's actually impressive, perhaps, is how good those artpacks can look in GLTron as compared to when they're used in AA.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Alright, so, I couldn't figure out how the hell I made that first arrow look the way it does, heh. So, I'll just leave it there. But in the process of trying to figure out what I did, I happened upon a couple others I thought looked pretty cool, so here they are:
Attachments
dir_wall(arrow_gradient).png
dir_wall(arrow_gradient).png (11.02 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
dir_wall(arrows_DK).png
dir_wall(arrows_DK).png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Oh yeah, forgot about this. Here are all the walls in this thread transposed into usefulness for the moviepack file. They maintain the same names as the texture ones, so pay mind if and where necessary when filling these away.
Attachments
ArrowedWalls(moviepack).tar.bz2
(25.65 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
!TX!Ubunturocks
Average Program

Post by !TX!Ubunturocks »

That is some cool textures. It looks like you are really driving in a city! :)
Linux is the future, do not fight it, go with it. If your computer is fast or slow Linux is the way to go.
ImageImageImage
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

looks realy nice ;)
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

I want my own computer again, cause I would totally only play arma with this texture. Awesome. Wish I was that creative.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

So, the other night I downloaded the remaining GLTron artpacks that I didn't already have, just for archiving purposes or whatever. I hadn't noticed before, but turns out that there are a few that have similar arrowed walls themselves:

- Spacetron
- Trondemonium
- Desert Night

...all of which can be found here: http://www.gltron.org/artpacks.php

They can be used in Arma simply by renaming to dir_wall.png, for either the default textures or moviepack. The dimensions are different in each case, but the game will stretch to compensate. Of course, that results in a visual distortion as well.

Or you can take them into an image editor and—do what you like, actually. As far as sizing, for the basic textures I think the height-to-width ratio ingame is 1:1 (e.g., 256X256). Seems that the ideal ratio for the Arma moviepack is 1:8 (e.g., 256hx32w). Use those dimensions and you won't get any distortion of the image. [Someone correct me if I'm wrong. This stuff isn't in the wiki, as it should be.]