Armagetr2n Advanced [WIP]

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Armagetr2n Advanced [WIP]

Post by Lacrymosa »

I watched the trailer from "TR2N" a couple of days ago and I'm still trying to make the game look like the upcoming movie.
I usually play with the default textures, but not because they look that good (no offense here :) ), simply because nearly every moviepack out there I tried is some kind of distracting. Looking at fancy graphics while trying to see your wall or a zone is not fun and neither is an fps dropdown. So, I made up my mind about what a good and playable moviepack could look like.

This is the first version and it is still a work in progress. I'm not that happy with the sky and I'm not sure about the floor either. The trailer I found had a pretty bad quality, but most of it looked "dark with glowing lines" iirc.

Updates:

*v1.1
-new rim wall

*v1.2
- New sky, slighlty darker
- New floor, brighter for better playability
- New cycle walls, slightly brighter
- Added a readme

*v1.3
- New floor, darker to fit TR2N better
- Edd Keefe's full detail lightcycle added as the default model
screenshot smart cam
screenshot smart cam
screenshot custom cam
screenshot custom cam
moviepack.zip
the moviepack
(760.87 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Last edited by Lacrymosa on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Armagetr2n Advanced [WIP]

Post by sinewav »

Looks really great. I'm using it now. I think you captured the look of the trailer quite well. I have some suggestions. The point where the floor meets the wall gets a little confusing. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to drive under the horizontal rays. And have you tried adding noise to soften up the gradients? I think the sky is cool, but the point where it meets the rim lacks definition in the same way the rim and floor meet. It's like I want to horizontal rays to be right at the top and bottom, or pulled away from the edges more.

Overall, and excellent look. I'll be using it a lot.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Thanks for the feedback sine, glad you like it. I just played some rounds at CTWF and realized that all those small low walls are simply black and very hard to see. I think adding some kind of texture like it is done with the default rim or noise is a good idea to solve that.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Oh, and if you set floor_detail 0, you can't see where the rim meets the floor. That's a problem. And I just realized all the console text gets lost in the rim texture if you're at a certain distance.

Concord made a Tr2n moviepack but never released it AFAIK. The walls were similar to yours, but blue and more minimal.

IDK. It still looks cool though.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

First update, added two lines to the rim wall, so you can now see where it meets the floor and the sky.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

Very nice! Now all you need to do is build the new cycle :D. If someone would build the cycle I'd be your best friend forever.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

ender wrote:Very nice! Now all you need to do is build the new cycle :D. If someone would build the cycle I'd be your best friend forever.
I think edd made already a cycle that looks like the one from "TR2N", but I'm not sure if he released it as a model for the game.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I like the improvements Lacrymosa. wd.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Next update, and I'm still not happy with the sky. I'm also going to try different floors, but the one in the trailer seemed to be simply black. I think I will release the source files for this, so others can bring in their ideas and play around with it.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

And another update. Changed the floor again, and I will leave it as it is for now until I get a better idea. The next thing on my to-do list is to modify the cycle texture with some glowing lines like in the upcoming movie. The pack now contains two different cycle models, the high detailed version as the default model and the low poly version for those players with fps problems.
Jolts
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jolts »

Nice moviepack, it really captures the feel of the trailer. About the cycle, I've found that Edd's model here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =47&t=2112 works really well with this.
"Some people say that hacking is magic for computers, but I say that magic is hacking nature."
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Jolts wrote:Nice moviepack, it really captures the feel of the trailer. About the cycle, I've found that Edd's model here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =47&t=2112 works really well with this.
D'oh. Wish I would have found that by myself, thanks for pointing it out. I'll see what I can do with it.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Alright, I've played around with the texture of edd's model you linked me to Jolts and this is what it looks like so far. Going to experiment with "glow" as it looks in the trailer.
not perfect, but it's a start
not perfect, but it's a start
Btw, is edd's website http://www.a1eddie.com/ down?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

That looks hot. :star:
Jolts
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jolts »

That looks great, I really like how you edited the cycle.
And as for edd's cite, it doesn't come up for me either so I'd guess it's down.
"Some people say that hacking is magic for computers, but I say that magic is hacking nature."