design competition - a new set of wheel/s

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: design competition - a new set of wheel/s

Post by Phytotron »

By the way, I wasn't endorsing any particular model, just using those as examples. I could've used something like Sark's Ship as a really extreme example!

That said, I do kinda like the one on the previous page that Lack linked to; the slimness is attractive from a practical perspective. But, again, the question is at what point will it pivot? (I don't see an actual model posted anywhere; did I miss it?)
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Oops. I guess not everyone uses the .rar format.

@2020... Scaled Edd v3 cycle.

And... The Edd scaled low poly posted earlier.

@Phytotron... Looks like they pivot at the same point as the original movie pack cycle.
Attachments
Edd scaled low poly cycle.zip
Edd low poly scaled
(63.77 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
cycle.zip
Edd v3 scaled
(65.81 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Ah, ok, I didn't try the one 2020 posted since it didn't have a bike.png attached. But then neither does your scaled version, so I just used the same one as with the low-poly cycle.

Anyway, yes, both are much better scaled down, and the pivot point does seem to be about the same spot as the default moviepack lightcycle:
edd's low-poly, scaled down
edd's low-poly, scaled down
CyclesTurning-ScaledLP.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
As for the V3, looking at the pics 2020 posted, it kinda looked like the front end was slimmer than the actual model ended up being. If it were up to me, I think slimming and squaring it off a bit would be beneficial, but obviously that would be changing the design. Only "problem" with the downscaled version is where the trace begins, inside the back wheel instead of ahead or behind it, but I don't know that it matters much (one option would be to make it solid).

There's one other consideration I neglected to mention: The default textures cycle should be very low-poly (lower than edd's low-poly). I think the basic textures set should be seen as a low-res/higher-framerate alternative to the moviepack. Putting in a cycle model that'll drag down framerate would defeat that purpose. So then, to my mind, the V3 as-is wouldn't work.

(By the way, your scaled-down version is twice as large as the one 2020 posted.)

I suggest something really basic, maybe even reminiscent of 8-bit graphics. :D
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Twice as large? Hmmm... I downloaded the attachment I posted and tested it. Works fine for me. :)
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

In terms of KB, in both cases your scaled down version is twice as large, at least according to me Finder. ::shrug::
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Oh... yeah, I noticed that, too. I have no idea why. Maybe it has something to do with the import/export scripts I have for Blender? My only guess.
~Leonard Bernstein
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

how does one use the .ASE model? where to put it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Concord wrote:how does one use the .ASE model? where to put it.
It can go in two places. You probably know about custom models in the moviepack folder that get loaded when you use the alternate textures. But maybe you didn't know you can place an .ASE file right in the folder named "models" in your Arma directory. However, you need to remove the default model for the .ASE to load (I have a sub-folder named "bypass" I use to hold the default model when not in use).
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Lackadaisical wrote:*bump*

So whatever happened with this? I thought edd's 'normal' cycle looked really nice. Any chance it could become the standard cycle the game ships with? Could look really slick with pikes walls for example.
I got reminded of this because sine warned pre about not using the standard textures because it would give people a bad suprise. (and since the .ase model is available now..)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

*bump*
i found the new kia pop concept looks interesting (not beautiful, just interesting) :P
Bummer6
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Bummer6 »

I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I decided to enter the competition! (unless it has already ended...) Since this is my first pose in this forum I'd also like to say hi... Hi... And now that we got that out of the way, here's my design!

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's actually quite nice.
Bummer6
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Bummer6 »

Z-Man wrote:That's actually quite nice.
Thank you! That means a lot since it's actually my first real 3D model and the first time I've EVER tried making a scene with lights and what-not. I learned tons while doing this though, like what smoothing groups are good for. haha. I'm kinda curious though, how would I go about getting this into the game? I've found bits and pieces of info here and there, but nothing really solid for thick-headed people like myself. :P
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Bummer6
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Bummer6 »

I use 3D studio max for all my modelling. I know it's not the best there is, but it's what I feel comfortable with.