TRON: The Next Generation

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
boki
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

TRON: The Next Generation

Post by boki »

Hi all,

This is a simple modification I've made for the game to change the wall and the sky of the arena to fit with the next generation TRON theme of Armagetron.

"1982 has passed, and computer technology has advanced. But some things never change..."

To install just drag the appropriate folder's contents into your game's 'textures' folder. Back up the previous files with the same name if you wish to revert back to what it originally looked, at some stage.

Note: The numbers in the two folders' names refer to your screen resolution. Choose the one that matches closest to your computer's screen.

Enjoy! :D

Download Link: http://files.filefront.com/Tron+Next+Ge ... einfo.html (Click 'Download')
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot3.jpg

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11438
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Post by Z-Man »

Nice work. At regular settings, I'd recommend using

Code: Select all

RIM_WALL_STRETCH_X 200
RIM_WALL_STRETCH_Y 200
with it, otherwise the symbols get too small.

User avatar
Jonathan
A Brave Victim
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Not really lurking anymore

Post by Jonathan »

If I still played Arma I might use this. It's more pleasant to look at than a π texture that has noise and a 'barcode' applied out of necessity to make guessing distances easier, or the old borg texture that can also be seen as mostly noise for that matter. This texture doesn't need any of that, and it looks like a good fit. :) Only I don't like the dark green band much, and maybe other colors could be tuned a bit, but that's pretty minor.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn

boki
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by boki »

Jonathan wrote:Only I don't like the dark green band much, and maybe other colors could be tuned a bit, but that's pretty minor.
What colour would you rather have for the second band?
What do you mean by tuning?

Thanks for the comments guys.

User avatar
Jonathan
A Brave Victim
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Not really lurking anymore

Post by Jonathan »

Dark gray floor + blue wall + dark green wall just doesn't appeal to me. It might help to make the upper band match the floor's color, while possibly brightening both a bit, or darkening the blue if that doesn't get too dark. But maybe that's just me.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn

User avatar
Fonkay
Match Winner
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:24 pm
Location: eh?
Contact:

Re: TRON: The Next Generation

Post by Fonkay »

boki wrote:This is a simple modification I've made for the game to change the wall and the sky of the arena to fit with the next generation TRON theme of Armagetron.
Did you actually change the sky? Or am I missing something?

Either way, nice job, love the 3d effect. Unlike Jon I like the green/blue combo, but think it's maybe a little untraditionally tron. Most default arma themes of the past have been monotone.

Also:
Jonathan wrote:It might help to make the upper band match the floor's color, while possibly brightening both a bit, or darkening the blue if that doesn't get too dark. But maybe that's just me.
If you make the tones the same you lose the great 3d affect I love about it. It looks like there are 2 walls instead of one.

This simple but good wall texture may convince me to play a few rounds. :D
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.

User avatar
Jonathan
A Brave Victim
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Not really lurking anymore

Re: TRON: The Next Generation

Post by Jonathan »

Fonkay wrote:Either way, nice job, love the 3d effect. Unlike Jon I like the green/blue combo, but think it's maybe a little untraditionally tron. Most default arma themes of the past have been monotone.

Also:
Jonathan wrote:It might help to make the upper band match the floor's color, while possibly brightening both a bit, or darkening the blue if that doesn't get too dark. But maybe that's just me.
If you make the tones the same you lose the great 3d affect I love about it. It looks like there are 2 walls instead of one.
What 3D effect? Maybe it has to do with how I tend not to fall for optical trickery as much as others.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn

User avatar
Fonkay
Match Winner
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:24 pm
Location: eh?
Contact:

Re: TRON: The Next Generation

Post by Fonkay »

Jonathan wrote:What 3D effect? Maybe it has to do with how I tend not to fall for optical trickery as much as others.
You make it sound like propaganda.
In my eyes it looks like there are 2 walls. The green one being behind the blue.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.

User avatar
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 am
Location: 0x08048000
Contact:

Post by wrtlprnft »

/me thinks this wall is a perfect candidate for the new 0.3 look…
There's no place like ::1

User avatar
Jonathan
A Brave Victim
Posts: 3392
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Not really lurking anymore

Post by Jonathan »

Heh. Didn't mean to sound like that. But no, just one wall for me, with not the slightest hint of anything else.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6348
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Post by sinewav »

Looks pretty sharp! I approve. Not that you need my approval. : )

epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by epsy »

[OT]How come are the image previews so messed up?[/OT]

User avatar
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 am
Location: 0x08048000
Contact:

Post by wrtlprnft »

I made a version of the wall texture that better suits my needs. It adds a little border at the bottom to make blue walls more visible, and it's also rectangular (not such a huge waste of space at the top) with dimenstions that are power of two. RIM_WALL_STRETCH_Y 30 and _X 100 works quite well for me.

http://wrtlprnft.ath.cx/ngrw.png
There's no place like ::1

boki
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by boki »

epsy wrote:[OT]How come are the image previews so messed up?[/OT]
I don't know, I wonder about that too! A note to everyone who reads this: what you see in the thumbnails is not actually what's in the real mod/full pictures! The colours got messed up for some reason in these preview thumbnails...
Fonkay wrote:Did you actually change the sky? Or am I missing something?
Well it seems it's a bit too dark, but there's actually Recognizers floating above your heads as the sky texture. It might be too dark to see on some monitors though. I will try to fix that in the future.
wrtlprnft wrote:/me thinks this wall is a perfect candidate for the new 0.3 look…
That sounds inspiring..! I think I wouldn't particularly mind... :P
wrtlprnft wrote:I made a version of the wall texture that better suits my needs...works quite well for me.
Hey, an interesting take! This way it's more the conservative style walls, but with a curious twist! The bar at the bottom really changed the feel of the level. Although overall this is a bit too claustrophobic for my taste.. :P But I'm glad you shared wrtlprnft! :D

User avatar
Fonkay
Match Winner
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:24 pm
Location: eh?
Contact:

Post by Fonkay »

So, wait.. am I the only one who sees the 3d?
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.

Post Reply