Someone doing bad things

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Someone doing bad things

Post by Phytotron »

Something happened yesterday in both Hell and Swampland, and, erm, it was messed up, and, erm, I have a very vague recollection of this happening before somewhere, and maybe even reading about what it was, but it has completely lost me at this point.

Anyhow, what happened was someone showed up, who was listed as "Player 1" in the score menu. Then the message, "[blank space] entered the game" began flooding the console, endlessly but only while the round was active. At one point the guy even said, "what's up with this lag," which I'm guessing was his being disingenuous, but who knows. Also, when I'd send up a vote-kick, the kick menu would have "Player 1," but when the kick was accepted it was "[blank space] has left the game." He also returned a couple times after he'd get kicked.

This was around 5:30-5:45 in Hell, and then later in Swampland.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

the same guy has been turning up in a few servers including nuke
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Ah. Well, he's in Swampland (or Unnamed Server, as it were) at this very moment, doing the same thing. It was just me, so when I left, he was left alone. In the server list, Swampland lists 1 under Users, but "Players" at the bottom says "Empty."

What is this?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

The " entered the game" and blank name thing was fixed in a version after beta4, I think. Maybe it should be back-ported for those who don't want to upgrade to 0.2.8.0?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Good idea. Those who know how to use cvs can grab branch b0_2_7_1, I just committed the fix there. A patch is simple: in src/ePlayer.cpp, function ePlayerNetID::ReadSync, change

Code: Select all

m >> name;
into

m >> name;
    if ( name.Len() <= 1 )
        name = "Player 1";
The actual fix does something more sophisticated.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Oscilloscope wrote:In the server list, Swampland lists 1 under Users, but "Players" at the bottom says "Empty."
Spectator.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ah. So this is a bug in his [pre-beta4] client, meaning he may be completely oblivious to what's going on?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, it's a) also a bug in the server and b) he has to actively do something for the message flood, so he certainly isn't oblivious.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

z-man wrote:Good idea. Those who know how to use cvs can grab branch b0_2_7_1, I just committed the fix there. A patch is simple: in src/ePlayer.cpp, function ePlayerNetID::ReadSync, change

m >> name;
into

m >> name;
    if ( name.Len() <= 1 )
        name = "Player 1";
The actual fix does something more sophisticated.
I would change that to

m >> name;
    if ( name.Len() <= 1 )
        name = "Spammer";
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by iceman on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Jonathan wrote:
Oscilloscope wrote:In the server list, Swampland lists 1 under Users, but "Players" at the bottom says "Empty."
Spectator.
What I didn't make clear was that it said that, I re-entered, and his cycle was there. A spectator isn't meant to have a cycle. But, whatever.

@z-man: OK. Like I said, I know I've seen someone doing this before, but it's been so long that I've forgotten what all about what it is.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

He could have gone out of spectator. Or there could have been another spectator and he re-entered as well.