Shrunkland in 2.8

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Aight. I guess the beta is just smoother than 0.2.7.0, or sumpin, thusly giving the impression of more speed, or sumpin. Heh.
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

There was a day when cycle speed was 6. Not sure when it changed, but it change to 10 on swampland first ... I don't remember when it changed on shrunkland, but the first time I noticed it at 10 was after the upgrade.

I would suggest a slightly higher value for cycle_rubber_delay (than .5)... when we were testing, I had suggested .88 just on a whim. Somewhere from .7-.8 would probably be good.

Just my personal preference.
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

I would suggest a slightly higher value for cycle_rubber_delay (than .5)... when we were testing, I had suggested .88 just on a whim. Somewhere from .7-.8 would probably be good.
Right now Cycle_Rubber_delay is set to 1.0 and Cycle_Rubber_Delay_Bonus is set to 0.

I changed the delay to .7, so let's see how that works out.

I also adjusted the cycle_ping_rubber a bit. It was set at 8 and I reduced that down to 6 for a while. Cycle_rubber is set at 4, so I think that may have been too high.

(Thanks for the comments -too. I appreciate them all.)
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

So, changing cycle_rubber_delay from 1.0 to .7 will actually make it easier to 180 multiple times into a wall (I thought you had it at .5 from a statement earlier in this post). I just tested and was able to do 4 or 5. The trick is to pause just a bit when 180ing. If you db two rights at once, you die, but if you hesitate (for %70 of the cycle_delay) you live.

From the settings file:
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY 0.7 # during this fraction of the cycle delay time, rubber efficiency will be multiplied...
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY_BONUS 0 # by this factor ( meaning that rubber usage goes up by the inverse; a value of zero means rubber is completely disabled )

I'm guessing that it's going to be very difficult to tweak the settings so that all the different factors work well together. For instance, certain rubber delay and rubber delay bonus settings will not work the same for all servers (it's highly dependent on cycle_delay)

cycle_rubber_timebased also has an effect on ability to do multiple 180's. I think you will really need to get in there and test out multple combinations of all the factors to see what fits.
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

So yeah, I think .7 is too low for cycle_rubber_delay. I would set back to 1.

If 1 makes it too sensitive when you adjust "somewhat" close to a wall, a good way to adjust it is to play with cycle_rubber_delay_bonus.
In a local game it seemed like .04-.05 was good (with cycle_rubber_delay at 1). The higher the delay bonus, the friendly it will be to adjusting.

My guess though is that with all the above settings, cycle_ping rubber might need to be adjusted. At 6 where it is now, it could allow multiple
180's for high ping players .. would need to check.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I found at one point that the default CYCLE_PING_RUBBER gave hang a huge advantage on the crack pipe. I could beat anybody else's grind but his. He'd sit there for like 3 seconds setting it. Man, that sucked.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

Lucifer wrote:I found at one point that the default CYCLE_PING_RUBBER gave hang a huge advantage on the crack pipe. I could beat anybody else's grind but his. He'd sit there for like 3 seconds setting it. Man, that sucked.
But then you realized it was just skill, and gave up. :D