Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

joda.bot
Match Winner

Fortress Mode on Crack Pipe

Post by joda.bot »

I like the fortress mode and hoped crack pipe would be fun to play,
but I was utterly alone on it.
Perhaps it was just the wrong time ... but I'd prefer a clean square arena for domination/fortress mode.

and 4 player fortress mode is fun... but you need good players and at least 8 of them to get a fair gameplay.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Fortress Mode on Crack Pipe

Post by Z-Man »

joda.bot wrote:and 4 player fortress mode is fun... but you need good players and at least 8 of them to get a fair gameplay.
Maybe, but that's the problem. With random people (or instant kills like me), it's just random. Especially if half of them use old clients and can't see which zone is theirs, or which zones are already conquered (I'll have to investigate why that is so,), and get this extra confusion factor added to their cluelessness :)

Lucifer, if you want to go fourfold: update gWinZone.*, eGameObject.* (there is a bugfix in there) and settings.cfg.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The Crack Pipe has been a little slow, I guess the novelty has worn off. ;)

Um, it's not fortress. You meant Belly of the Beast? I still need to update it to beta3. Which reminds me, I need all the maps for the Crack Pipe updated for beta3. Is the xml pretty solid for beta3, as in "this is almost definitely what it'll look like in the final release?" I'm hesitant to update the maps if it's going to change again, I'd prefer to only update a couple and pull the rest out until we get to rc.

Anyway, Belly has some issues, not the least of which is the half-baked map it's running. I guess I shoudl put "testing" in the name or something since it's not really ready, even though it's fun when people are there and actually want to play the fortress game.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Lucifer wrote: Is the xml pretty solid for beta3, as in "this is almost definitely what it'll look like in the final release?"
While I've been burned before for making this kind of promise, what I can say is that at the moment, the only thing I could want to add would be some information to disable the "boundary" around the arena, and I'm mostly willing to let it have its current behavior, and tackle the problem in a clean fashion under Bacchus (hint: borders *could* go toward infinity, still a very new idea!).

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, having no time to setup Belly the way I want it, I just took one of the Crack Pipe maps and made the Crack Pipe a fortress server. This is only temporary until I find the time to finish setting up the Belly of the Beast. Which means it could run like this for several months.... ;)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Fine. I took z-man's settings for Fortress and just crammed 'em into the Crack Pipe.

Start sending up your fortress maps and we'll try some of them, but I'm not ready yet to turn on the map rotator. I want to have it a bit more configurable first. ;)

Some folks have been asking me to start up a Breakfast in Hell server again. I must admit I haven't responded nicely to the last few requests, I am tiring of fielding this question. The simple answer is, Breakfast in Hell *is* the Crack Pipe, as far as I'm concerned. Now, it's not the Breakfast in Hell you all know and love anymore. It's grown. If you'd like to run an older version of the Crack Pipe, the only settings I know I have laying around are from the 0.2.7.1 server, immediately before I made a few changes that made the small grid it was for so long. Luckily I remember what I changed. :) I will be happy to share those with anyone who wants to run a clone and to help them get their clone setup under 0.2.8.0beta3 or higher (when higher becomes available).

However, I should point out the the Fortress server which feels a lot like Breakfast in Hell did runs on mostly default settings. Otherwise I just ran SIZE_FACTOR -4. So crank your rubber up to 8 or 10, CYCLE_WALL_NEAR up a bit, accel was 29 (still is, for that matter), and go with that. You should have a server at that point that feels pretty much exactly like Breakfast in Hell. The Fortress server has a higher cycle_accel than default, and rubber of 5 and *that's it*. (Yes, I snagged z-man's config file posted elsewhere and looked at it) So I adjusted CYCLE_ACCEL on the Crack Pipe to match what I like, now go check it out. Tell me how it feels.

Happy I am to see that the default settings so closely resemble my own server. ;) Didn't used to be that way...

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Sorry if it was bugging you that some of us had been asking to "bring back" Breakfast in Hell. We understand the name change deal and that Crack Pipe "is" Breakfast in Hell. What we've meant is that we'd like back a server with the same settings as in BiH (or as closely matched as 0.2.8[etc] can provide), but keeping with the old square arena, lack of maps, and lack of fortress mode. But, I understand that you've evidently set your mind on implementing these features in your server, and that's certainly your prerogative. No argument from me. :)

But, as I mentioned elsewhere—and with no disrespect intended toward those who have spent time and energy on developing these new features—having now played mapped arenas and so forth, beyond the novelty of it, I'm even less a fan that I was when my problem was merely conceptual in nature.

Point is, whether you host it or someone else makes a clone, there is a handful of us (perhaps more, but of whom I'm not aware) who would like what I described in the first paragraph, because it was fun. (Same goes for an -ish server, for that matter. I never had the opportunity to play on the actual goshdarn, but I hoid it was good as well). So I guess at this point I would put out an appeal to someone else to make a clone. I dunno.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up and hope that you weren't too irritated. :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's ok, silly. :) There are some other players who are particularly demanding with my server, and one of them happened to hit me literally about 10 minutes before you and hang showed up, so I was already in the mood to punch someone over it. No harm, no foul.

Check out nemo's server (In Limbo). It's got the small grid and a few other things, it's a real nice server. I'm generally burned out on the gladiator game, and I don't know if I'm going to even host such a grid in the near future anymore. With cool maps, sure, but probably not the same old game we've been playing. Anyway, nemo's server probably has most of what you're looking for (as does Shrunkland, but you already knew that).

Ok, here's the thing about running a clone in 0.2.8. I checked out z-man's settings on the Fortress server (did I mention that already?), and it looks like the defaults are already close to where you're wanting them. I used to have a lower acceleration than Swampland. Eggcozy had dropped his cycle_accel down to around 22 for awhile, I think he bumped it back up to 26. He was trying to compensate for lag. The snapshot of his settings I worked from had it at 29, which is where I left it. Swampland is at 30, or was anyway last time I checked (I admit I haven't played Swampland in a few weeks. It's a wonderful server, but I don't think I can go back to a square grid, Fortress being an obvious exception). I changed cycle_wall_near instead, which is where the higher acceleration came from. It's not that you accelerated any faster than before, just that the wall affected you from a farther distance.

The grid was ish-sized, and rubber was tweaked for 0.2.7.1. You can get 90% of the way there with a 0.2.8 installation just by adjusting cycle_wall_near and settings size_factor to ish-size (-4?). (and cycle_accel 29, of course)

Rubber in 0.2.8 feels a lot different. I took z-man's settings on the fortress server and went with cycle_accel 29 and cycle_rubber 8. Fortress has 20 and 5, respectively. I don't feel a difference in rubber from Fortress. All other settings are default.

I want the old 0.2.7.1 Breakfast in Hell feel of rubber on the Crack Pipe with the added bonus of being able to outgrind other players (a throwback to 0.2.6). If you guys would like to help me get that feel of rubber, then I can put up those settings.

NEMO has that feel on his server, In Limbo. So nemo, if you stumble across this, can you post/send me your rubber settings? Otherwise I'll try to grab a screenshot on my way in. ;)

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Your_mom actually 'thunk up the settings, I just modified them slightly.
settings_custom.cfg wrote:# Rubber
CYCLE_RUBBER 6.5
CYCLE_PING_RUBBER 7
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY .015
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY_BONUS 0.05